Re: [Telescopes] Re: Guen Shang scopes

  • Geoff Gaherty
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1 4:25 AM
      oak_conkers wrote:
      > This helps bring the prices down,so in many ways its a good thing

      Dumping product below wholesale cost may help a few people in the short run, but
      it really hurts the majority. I was forced to sell my 12" GS Dob for about half
      what I paid for it less than a year before, losing a lot of money in the
      process, all because of artificially low prices. If you really want to hear
      about the damage, talk to people like Stargazer Steve who are trying to produce
      quality products at the low end of the market.

      Geoff

      --
      Geoff Gaherty
      Foxmead Observatory
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2 1:32 PM
        > This helps bring the prices down,so in many ways its a good
        thing
        > though we seem to have reached a stage where you have the cheap
        dobs
        > and the premium stuff with nothing in between,at Starfest I saw a
        > few home made dobs that fit into this area and on talking with the
        > owners was told they built them because of this viod in the scope
        > market, regards dave.

        Dave,

        Discovery still makes their PDHQ series with 8 to 10" solid tubes and
        12.5" to 20" with split tubes already included. Their price
        increases last year pushed them out of the "competing with the
        CHinese" market but they are still well below the premium reflectors
        out there as well as their own truss design scopes. In fact, other
        than Stargazer Steve & Starspiltter I don't know of a mfgr in America
        making solid tube "sorta premium but not quite" dobs. Your are
        right that this market is very thin right now. You either buy cheap
        or really expensive.
        I do think DBA is still offering their "upgrade" mods that takes
        Chinese scopes and turns them into Swayze premium scopes with nice
        hardware upgrades but not sure what scopes they are using as the
        Hardins are no longer available.
        Phil
      • oak_conkers
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2 9:06 PM
          --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "cosmosphil" <philagins@s...>
          wrote:

          > > This helps bring the prices down,so in many ways its a good
          > thing
          > > though we seem to have reached a stage where you have the cheap
          > dobs
          > > and the premium stuff with nothing in between,at Starfest I saw
          > > few home made dobs that fit into this area and on talking with
          the
          > > owners was told they built them because of this viod in the
          scope
          > > market, regards dave.
          >
          > Dave,
          >
          > Discovery still makes their PDHQ series with 8 to 10" solid tubes
          and
          > 12.5" to 20" with split tubes already included. Their price
          > increases last year pushed them out of the "competing with the
          > CHinese" market but they are still well below the premium
          reflectors
          > out there as well as their own truss design scopes. In fact,
          other
          > than Stargazer Steve & Starspiltter I don't know of a mfgr in
          America
          > making solid tube "sorta premium but not quite" dobs. Your are
          > right that this market is very thin right now. You either buy
          cheap
          > Good points,however I enquired at Efstonscience in Toronto about
          Discovery scopes and was told that they had a hell of a time getting
          their products into Canada,however this may have changed?I ended up
          getting a house brand dob, synta made.It works well once I tweeked
          the optics and removed the rancid marmalade from the focuser,cheers
          dave.
        • oak_conkers
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2 9:14 PM
            --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gaherty <geoff@g...> wrote:
            > oak_conkers wrote:
            > > This helps bring the prices down,so in many ways its a good
            thing

            > Dumping product below wholesale cost may help a few people in the
            short run, but
            > it really hurts the majority. I was forced to sell my 12" GS Dob
            for about half
            > what I paid for it less than a year before, losing a lot of money
            in the
            > process, all because of artificially low prices. If you really
            want to hear
            > about the damage, talk to people like Stargazer Steve who are
            trying to produce
            > quality products at the low end of the market.
            >
            > Geoff
            >
            > I know, my company is trying to compete with Chinese stuff, just
            had a layoff,same thing with my 4" refractor,price dropped a third
            in a year,I meant it was good in the way that a beginner could get a
            good scope like a Starblast where as a few years ago that sort of
            money would have bought junk,however there is always two sides to a
            story, dave.
          • Geoff Gaherty
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 3 4:37 AM
              oak_conkers wrote:

              > Good points,however I enquired at Efstonscience in Toronto about
              > Discovery scopes and was told that they had a hell of a time getting
              > their products into Canada,however this may have changed?

              The main problem everyone seems to have with Discovery is that they don't seem
              to be capable of delivering product when they say they will. The repeated
              feedback, confirmed by my own experience, is that the quality of their products
              is excellent when you finally receive them, but you have to wait a lot longer
              than they tell you. In my case, a Dob mount was promised in three weeks, but
              actually took four months and repeated emails. Other companies have longer
              waiting lists, but deliver as promised.

              Geoff

              --
              Geoff Gaherty