Re: [Telescopes] Re: New Here and Have a Question

  • Joseph Rome
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2004
      Greetings Ed,

      I am planing to push big 25X100's. The extreme wide field of view on 6X - 10X is OK, and it helps to locate things. I plan to get closer to some of the DSO's. From Austin I have located M27, and M2 seams to have some stars in it with these cheap 15X70. So with a little more power and extra light, I am in hopes to resolve, or show more detail. I am also using the Orion Bino Mount on their camera mount. What was surprising was the mount works well, all except for what I wanted for. To sit down and view. You can't move around that much.

      Joe Rome - Austin, Texas

      Ed Cannon <ecannon@...> wrote:

      I used a fairly good 10x50 (about $180 five years ago, FWIW),
      6.5-degree true field of view, for several years and then
      last January got the Orion Ultraview 8x42. They're very
      nice, great coatings (and I especially like the twist-up
      eyecups), but I've been thinking I'll go back to 10x50. I
      was very surprised that, as best I can tell after a lot of
      nights of use, I can not hold the 8x42 any more still than
      the 10x50. The very wide FOV of the 8x42 is nice but also
      pretty "soft" around the edges. I regret missing that sale
      on the 10x50 Ultraviews.

      Someone mentioned 7x50, but my understanding is that their
      large, bright exit pupil makes them to be at their best
      only under dark sky (which were much more available a
      couple of generations ago) -- and probably only by younger
      people. If a person's eye pupils don't dilate beyond 5mm,
      then a 7x35 is about the same functionally as a 7x50 but
      is lighter in weight and has a larger field of view. The
      question is, are there very nice (but not super-expensive)
      7x35 models for those in light-polluted areas who want the
      wide field and light weight of 7x35?

      In general, from all I've read, 8x40 or 8x42 to 10x42 or
      10x50, BaK-4 porro prisms, fully multicoated, are really
      about the best all-around size range for handheld use.
      Also add long eye relief for those who will use them while
      wearing eyeglasses (and/or sunglasses).

      Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA