Re: maintenance on a SkyView Deluxe EQ mount

  • gmartin02x
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2004
      If you can tell me how to get the Sky View apart, let me know...I
      can't see any apparent method to dissasemble it.

      Greg

      --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph O'Neil" <joneil@m...>
      wrote:
      > At 11:29 AM 5/31/2004, you wrote:
      > >Hi, everyone:
      > >
      > >The RA axis on my Orion SkyView Deluxe EQ mount (which holds my
      > >Stellarvue
      > >AT1010 refractor) has gotten very stiff, so much so that my RA
      motor
      > >no longer
      > >tracks well. The folks at JMI (who made the motor) believe that
      the
      > >gears may need
      > >cleaning or re-greasing. I have never even thought of doing
      anything
      > >like that on this
      > >mount, and wouldn't know where to begin. The manual from Orion
      is no
      > >help either.
      > >Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
      >

      > Try here:
      >
      > www.astronomyboy.com
      >
      > Look up specicifally, regreasing the CG5 mount. These
      same
      > instrucitons will work just as well for hte EQ5, EQ3, M4, SkyView,
      etc,
      > etc. Following these instrucitons will certianly void your
      warrantly, but
      > hey will improve your mount performance.
      >
      > i have even follwoed these instrucitons and regreased Vixen GP,
      and GP-DX
      > mount. For what it is worth, I spent a Saturday afternoon once a
      few years
      > ago, and did exactly the same thing to my old Losmandy CP-100
      mount ( with
      > a Byer's 7.5" gear drive)
      >
      > Part of the big problem is many, many mount, from chepa
      > sometimes premium, use grease that either works porrly in cold
      weather, or
      > just over the years, you get dirt inside, and it just needs a
      basic
      > cleaning & relubing to work again. My Losmandy was a
      combination of poor
      > cold weather grewase and need of a good cleaning.
      >
      > So tak e alook - just remember what I said about yoru
      warranty
      > going bye-bye out the window.
      >
      > Now, if you are asking yourself why do telescope
      manufactuers do
      > such things, I don't knwo why. But it has always been my fantasy
      to have
      > every telescoep mount maker & designer kidnapped for just amont or
      two,a nd
      > imprision them anywher in Canada durin ght month of Janaury,a nd
      say to
      > them "okay, now, everyday you have to go outside in the winter
      weather ,
      > and make your telescope mounts work just fine - gears, grease,
      electronics,
      > ergonomics, the whole 9 yards. When you get it working just
      right, you can
      > go home. "
      >
      > Grrrrrr
      > :)
      > joe
    • Geoff Gaherty
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
        gmartin02x wrote:
        > If you can tell me how to get the Sky View apart, let me know...I
        > can't see any apparent method to dissasemble it.

        Did you look at the web site Joe gave you? It's a couple of years since I
        disassembled my SDV mount, so I don't remember the details, but I found that
        site invaluable. For example, here's the page for working on the Delination axis:

        http://www.astronomyboy.com/cg5/dec.html

        The screws for disassembly are well hidden, and take a bit of detective work,
        especially since the SVD is a different mount, built by a differenmt company,
        but both are copies of a Vixen design and the bvasic principles are similar. If
        I recall correctly, some of the critical screws in the SVD is accessed through
        tiny holes in the housing. Remember, these things were put together by real
        people, not aliens, so they _can_ be disassembled, but you must work slowly and
        carefully. Mind you, I was never able to fully disassemble my SVD's declination
        axis because of serious binding, the reason why I tried to disassemble it in the
        first place.

        --
        Geoff Gaherty
        Toronto Centre RASC
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
          Many thanks, Joe and Hugh, for your most excellent suggestions. One
          thing is clear: this is no trivial job. I'm going to have to carve
          out some serious
          time for this. In terms of disassembly, I'm going to wait until
          after June 8 before I
          begin. While I could wish to have my tracking fixed by then, an even
          worse-case
          scenario is to wake up the morning of the Venus transit with a bunch
          of parts littering
          the floor. A mount that doesn't track well is better than no mount
          at all.

          Steve

          --- In telescopes@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Childers" <schilders@t...>
          wrote:

          > The RA axis on my Orion SkyView Deluxe EQ mount (which holds my
          > Stellarvue
          > AT1010 refractor) has gotten very stiff, so much so that my RA motor
          > no longer
          > tracks well. The folks at JMI (who made the motor) believe that the
          > gears may need
          > cleaning or re-greasing.
        • Tom Duggan
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
            --- "Steve Childers" wrote:
            > Many thanks, Joe and Hugh, for your most excellent suggestions. One
            > thing is clear: this is no trivial job. I'm going to have to carve
            > out some serious
            > time for this. In terms of disassembly, I'm going to wait until
            > after June 8 before I
            > begin. While I could wish to have my tracking fixed by then, an
            even
            > worse-case
            > scenario is to wake up the morning of the Venus transit with a bunch
            > of parts littering
            > the floor. A mount that doesn't track well is better than no mount
            > at all.
            >
            > Steve

            It won't take as much time as intricate
            as you might think...

            I'm the ineptest of the inept, and the longest
            part of the process is waiting for the bearings
            to dry. Not a lot of tiny parts to keep track
            of; just mark your bolts/screws <G>

            Just pay attention to the site (www.astronomyboy.com)
            and you'll be fine.

            Not saying that waiting till after the 8th isn't
            prudent; enjoy the show!

            Tom D

            > --- "Steve Childers" wrote:
            >
            > > The RA axis on my Orion SkyView Deluxe EQ mount (which holds my
            > > Stellarvue
            > > AT1010 refractor) has gotten very stiff, so much so that my RA
            motor
            > > no longer
            > > tracks well. The folks at JMI (who made the motor) believe that
            the
            > > gears may need
            > > cleaning or re-greasing.
          • Joseph O'Neil
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2004
              At 07:11 AM 6/1/2004, you wrote:
              >Many thanks, Joe and Hugh, for your most excellent suggestions. One
              >thing is clear: this is no trivial job. I'm going to have to carve
              >out some serious time for this.

              Funny you should mention that. When I looked at my Losmandy mount
              some years ago, to do the same thing, I thought "ah, it's Saturday, just
              finished lunch (about 1:00 p.m local time) , I can do this in an hour then
              move on to other chores."

              My wife held off my supper for me until I was finished that
              afternoon, which, if memory serves me correctly, was around 6 to 6:30 pm.
              :)
              joe
            • Steve Childers
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 23, 2004
                I finally got the guts to disassemble my SVD mount to clean it,
                according to the advice I got here a couple of weeks ago. I
                waited until after the Venus transit, but that was a waste because
                we were completely clouded out here in North Carolina.

                I was never able to break down the mount completely, but I did
                clean the gear wheels for both axes. But the most critical
                components turned out to be the slow motion adjustment axles,
                since this is where my RA motor is attached. These are easy to
                take apart and clean, unlike the main gear assembly. Turns out
                these axles were not only saturated with stiff grease, but the nuts
                holding them together were so tight that it seems like a miracle
                that they turned at all. It took very little effort to clean these
                with
                alcohol and re-adjust the nuts.

                After I put them back together and polar aligned the mount, my
                motor tracked the sun for four straight hours on Sunday, with just
                occasional tweaks every 30-40 minutes to keep it centered. An
                amazing improvement, since the RA motor would not track at all
                before the cleaning. So this story has a happy ending. Thanks
                to everyone for the advice and encouragement.

                Steve
              • Hugh Bartlett
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 24, 2004
                  wrote:
                  > I finally got the guts to disassemble my SVD mount to clean it,
                  > according to the advice I got here a couple of weeks ago. <SNIP>
                  After I put them back together and polar aligned the mount, my
                  > motor tracked the sun for four straight hours on Sunday, with just
                  > occasional tweaks every 30-40 minutes to keep it centered. An
                  > amazing improvement, since the RA motor would not track at all
                  > before the cleaning. So this story has a happy ending. Thanks
                  > to everyone for the advice and encouragement.
                  >
                  > Steve

                  That's great! Glad it worked. There were a large number of sunspots
                  Sunday considering that we are approaching a solar minimum. I was
                  out doing some sidewalk solar astronomy in Catalina (island of Los
                  Angeles) that day with an H-Alpha filter, but the white light view
                  was also impressive.

                  I just had one other suggestion for that mount (actually for the
                  tripod). Applying just a little light-weight grease to the legs
                  makes it much easier to adjust the height. I use White Lithium
                  Grease from a tube that I keep handy for sticky situations. The
                  channels on that particular tripod are quite tight. Whenever I find
                  myself struggling to adjust or open a tripod, folding chair, or
                  whatever, I've found applying a little grease makes a world of
                  difference, and sometimes saves breaking a plastic slider that is not
                  sliding properly.

                  Hugh Bartlett
                  Oakland, CA