[tekumel] Re: Investigating and Tedium -- was "hard ass artiste GMs..."

  • Keith Dalluhn
    Message 1 of 159 , Jul 1, 2001
      At 11:01 PM +0000 6/29/01, mtbdm@... wrote:

      >As a GM I LOVE it when PCs come up with innovative lateral
      >solutions. In the door example, why not try to lure someone
      >inside to open it? Hell, why not just KNOCK and see what
      >happens? If someone is trying to bash down my front door I get
      >the mace and call the cops. If someone knocks, I generally
      >answer. Or maybe consider exactly how important it is at that
      >juncture to go through that door. Why not come back to it later?

      There is a story of a local GM who ran a D&D tournament at a local
      convention back in the 90s. The winner was to be the one who could
      get control of the SACRED ORB. In the final round the four finalists
      were at the last room and there was the bowling ball sized orb
      suspended in 6" the air above a 1 foot square alter in a beam of
      light. The DM had a list of about 100 different evil outcomes for
      different actions. Like if you pushed it with a pole, or knocked it
      off with your sword, or tried to slip a bag around it etc. Each
      player was given a chance to take an action. There was only one way
      the DM had figured this thing would work out correctly. The first 3
      guys tried different things and were all zapped. On guy got
      teleported to the beginning of the dungeon, One guy got knocked to 1
      hit point, the third guy got made female. My friend gets his turn:

      Player: I walk over to the altar and grab the orb.

      DM: He he, ok What are you wearing on your hands?

      Player: Nothing.

      DM: (consulting list) Ummmm, no leather gloves, gauntlets, bits of cloth?

      Player: Nope, barehanded.

      DM: (flipping through notes furiously) Barehanded?

      Player: Yup, barehanded.

      DM: (Dejectedly) Oh, I hadn't thought of that. You pick up the orb and win.

      So you can see, sometimes the most direct approach is the best.

      -Keith
    • tekumel@yahoogroups.com
      Message 159 of 159 , Dec 17, 2010
        tekumel group:

        This is a question for people interested in 28mm Tekumel figures. Would you be interested in pre-painted figures? Not the cheap D&D plastic miniature type of pre-paint, but our figures painted to a good or better standard (the former uses the "dip" method for shading, the latter uses shading and highlighting.) These would be done by an overseas painting service, for probably double the current cost, but perhaps more. Actual cost depends upon uniform complexity and other factors and has yet to be determined.

        o Yes
        o No

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!