Re: Tekumel at Dexcon

  • rdushay2000
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2013
      Reign is the fantasy implementation of the One Roll Engine (Godlike,
      Monsters and Other Childish Things, Wild Talents). The particular twist
      is that the focus of Reign is on leaders of small groups, and there are
      rules for using your group as well as your character. See
      http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/ In this scenario, the PCs will be
      commanders at various levels of a legion dealing with Kilulamuyani
      bandits in the Chaigari protectorate.

      I've been trying out a variety of games setting them in Tekumel to see
      how the rules change the feel and the play of the game. So far, I've
      used Dogs in the Vineyard and Savage Worlds.

      --Bob Dushay

      --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Brett Slocum wrote:

      > What are these Reign rules?
      >
      > ---
      > Brett Slocum slocum@...
      >

      > On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:51 AM, rdushay@... wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > If anybody was thinking of going to Dexcon this year (July 3 - 7,
      > > Morristown NJ; http://www.dexposure.com/home.html) I'm running a
      Tekumel
      > > scenario using Greg Stolze's Reign rules.

    • George Hammond
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2013
        On May 31, 2013, at 5:10 PM, rdushay@... wrote:

        > I've been trying out a variety of games setting them in Tekumel to see
        > how the rules change the feel and the play of the game. So far, I've
        > used Dogs in the Vineyard and Savage Worlds.

        This sounds really interesting! I've only played one game (a few sessions) of Dogs... , but it was my introduction to "indie" games and players having so much influence over the events of the setting, and it blew my mind a little. I really liked it. How did it work for you?

        I've got a copy the Reign rules too, and the rules for organizations really do seem to have potential for Tekumel. I'd love to hear how your Reign application goes.

        Background for others on the games we're talking about:

        Reign was written and published by Greg Stolze.
        http://www.gregstolze.com/reign/
        it uses his "One Role Engine" as it's primary mechanic, which I don't have a strong opinion about. What's interesting to me is that the premise of the game is that the players are connected to organizations of some kind, and there are mechanics for integrating the actions of PCs as individuals with resolution of conflicts and interactions between organizations. The organization rules are pretty abstract and can vary in scale, so you could use them for tribes of barbarians, or clan vs. clan, conflicts between temples, or even between empires.
        Here's a review:
        http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/13/13162.phtml

        Dogs in the Vineyard is a very different game. Tightly focused on one kind of game, with mechanics designed for that. The PCs are religious enforcers who travel from town to town, protecting the faithful, rooting out sin, sorting out problems. They are a law unto themselves, and can use violence if they feel the need, though it always come with "fallout.". However, it's up the *players* to decide the rules of the faith, and what is right for any particular situation. Players have a lot of influence in this game. The GM creates the situations, but then its all pretty much in the players' hands. The default setting is based on the early Mormon settlements in Utah, but the mechanics can be applied to lots of different settings, and has been. Pretty much any setting where you have relatively isolated communities and teams of troubleshooters who are more or less a law unto themselves can apply. Here's a list of examples
        http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/dogsinthevineyard/settings.html

        the creator's site is temporarily down, this page has some basics:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_in_the_Vineyard
        here's a playtest review:
        http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10742.phtml

        cheers,