Re: [tekumel] Tekumel Foundation Website

  • Brett Slocum
    Message 1 of 108 , Mar 29, 2013
      Okay, now I think we can move this discussion offlist as John Till suggested.

      ---
      Brett Slocum <slocum@...>

      On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Alva Hardison <alvahardison@...> wrote:

      Brett, thank you!! that's my entire point! I've been heavy handed in this journey into "ranting" as others have pointed out off list. A little "glasnost" (russian: openness) would go far in alleviating the situation. That is why i remarked to victor that they (the foundation) need to openly post any new guidlines (rumors say they exist) as i and others would VERY much like to see them Be above board and the good will from that action will pay off big.

      There must be a middle ground between open source and heavy-handed licensing -- a way to protect the work of Professor Barker while at the same time promoting Tekumel through the production of new works. How to walk that line can only come from the Foundation. We can attempt to aid them by giving them input, but as those entrusted by the Professor to carry on his work, it's their job to make that decision. The authors looking to create new products will be the final arbiters of how successful the board has been at navigating these waters. If no one is willing to play by the rules set out, then those rules will hopefully change. Ranting at them is probably not the best way to advise them in their difficult path. There's got to be a better way to convey your concerns.

      I am concerned that the confusing verbiage that caused such an uproar three years ago is still in place. One can easily conclude that nothing has changed. So, in essence, the fact that the Foundation website hasn't changed is cause for Alva and others to be alarmed.
      ---
      Brett Slocum <slocum@...>

    • Brett Slocum