Re: Clan formula

  • anatagh
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 3, 2012
      id like to throw in another aspect

      within the clan there are linieges in my version of the world these are ranked as very high, high,medium,low,and very low. so even in a clan house your liniege gives you a ranking.
      outside the clanhouse very low may compete with high of a lower clan ranking

      --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "Howard" <green27@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > YTMV!
      >
      > Howard
      >
      > --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Konnel Damiano <koda.teak@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Gurkhal and I have made tentative steps to combine our projects (in the
      > > tekumel.com forums) so I'll speak up but try not to speak for him.
      > >
      > > That's a very good point and my latest draft which I need to float by
      > > him reflects more of the material and political resources of the clan.
      > > Your point makes realize we should think more about the social aspects.
      > > As Gurkhal has mentioned, we need to hash out a general form for data
      > > which, now I think, could be quite extensive and brings to mind some of
      > > the old planetary sheets for the Space Opera rpg. So possibly the route
      > > leads to a character-like record sheet, one that has top-level and local
      > > information (for the largest clanhouses at least).
      > >
      > > My end of the project, so far, is dropping the information into a more
      > > visual layout in pdf. The only problem with adding more local
      > > information to that format is that it will quickly grow to several pages
      > > - the current concept is a two-page reference document (front and back).

      > > > type of thing I was looking for. You are right that each of the
      > > > categories do have several questions within them. I'd have to think
      > > > about which ones I add to it. You are also right that to divide each
      > > > category into sub-categories could lead me into an infinity of
      > > > categories to add. I guess that to a certain degree it will come on
      > > > the author to chose which information he or she think is relevant to
      > > > add about the clan.
      > > >
      > > > It just occurred to me that there is another way to think about clans.
      > > > The formula you are developing is a sort of abstract, long time-scale
      > > > view of clan, which is useful, valid, and typical of much Tekumel
      > > > setting material. However, if one is actually running a Tekumel game,
      > > > one might have other questions about the clans in the game, questions
      > > > that are focused on more immediate circumstances. Things that vary
      > > > over short times, and relatively short distances within the Empire.
      > > > Here are some that I've thought of; I'm sure there might be more:
      > > >
      > > > -- What's the clan's local social status, compared other clans within
      > > > its category (e.g. lowest of the High? middle of the Low?)
      > > > -- How wealthy is the clan?
      > > > -- What kind of political power does it have? What other local
      > > > political powers does it have influence with, and how much influence?
      > > > -- What kind of "muscle" does the clan have? Armed Guards? Duelists?
      > > > Goons with clubs?
      > > > -- What kinds of parties do they give? (consider organization, quality
      > > > of provender, style (trendiness, elegance, aesthetics), quality of
      > > > guest list, raucousness)
      > > > -- What stereotypes apply to the clan, its members, its lineages?
      > > >
      > > > This is definitely a tangent from your clan formula, but I thought it
      > > > might be of interest. I think that Tekumel suffers from a shortage of

    • Karin Karejanrakoi
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 3, 2012
        Yes, indeed, mate ... as the good Professor himself once implied, being the
        major domo at a Tsolyani house party would be enough to reduce the sanest
        of us to gibbering idiots in double-quick time!

      • Alva Hardison
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 3, 2012
          Prof Barker established that there are ranks of lineages within clans.

          ________________________________
> [...]

          > > > Here are some that I've thought of; I'm sure there might be more:
          > > >
          > > > -- What's the clan's local social status, compared other clans within
          > > > its category (e.g. lowest of the High? middle of the Low?)
          > > > -- How wealthy is the clan?
          > > > -- What kind of political power does it have? What other local
          > > > political powers does it have influence with, and how much influence?
          > > > -- What kind of "muscle" does the clan have? Armed Guards? Duelists?
          > > > Goons with clubs?
          > > > -- What kinds of parties do they give? (consider organization, quality
          > > > of provender, style (trendiness, elegance, aesthetics), quality of
          > > > guest list, raucousness)
          > > > -- What stereotypes apply to the clan, its members, its lineages?
          > > >
          > > > This is definitely a tangent from your clan formula, but I thought it
          > > > might be of interest. I think that Tekumel suffers from a shortage of

        • Gurkhal
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 6, 2012
            George Hammond: That's a very good point you have there. Since I'm all into the "formula"-stuff maybe some kind of formula for Clanhouses? It will be something that I will have to think about as the idea seems very good to me.

            Konnel Damiano: Yes. Hopefully this cooperation will come out in a good way and we can all share the fruits of our labor. :)

            Anatagh: You are correct in this, although I though that a high status lineage from a medium status clan would still be of the same status as a high status lineage from a low status clan. But I have no problem to believe its the way that you have described it.

            Karin Karejanrakoi: I wouldn't mind to try out one of those parties myself...as long as I'm not the domo. :D