Best Tekumel Maps

  • Wolfknight
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
      I just bought a PDF of the original TSR EPT, however, I was wondering if anyone could direct me to some more modern maps of Tekumel. Especially, individual nation maps or even citystate maps. Im kind of new to Tekumel (still reading the novels) and Im just fascinated with the world! So much detail. Kind of overwhelming. So anyway, Im not only trying to become familiar with the rich history of the world, but Im also trying to convert the TSR EPT to 3.5 ed D&D d20. I was hoping to find someone who could point me in the right direction. Im well experienced (over 30 years) with different D&D editions, but want to streamline the rules with Tekumel's rich world. So it is taking sometime and alot of decisions. Fortunately, I have until May to get everything up and running.
    • konnel_gm
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
        I can't address the conversion to 3.5.

        I recently asked which I should buy first, and Brett offered this:

        --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Brett Slocum <brett.slocum@...> wrote:

        > Just starting out, either map is fine, but as you go forward the S&G map is
        > the best. It shows the most land area, and the details are good. IMO

        I have access to all the map sets through a friend of mine (though the older one's are a bit piecemeal). While I have difficulty scanning the Swords & Glory map I can't argue Brett's point. Of the two most recent maps, I would say Gardasiyal map is more focused and the newest map in T:EPT is... highly selective. But i get more at a glance from Gardasiyal in terms of round distances and terrain.

        -Konnel

        --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfknight" <wolfknight75@...> wrote:

        > I just bought a PDF of the original TSR EPT, however, I was wondering if anyone could direct me to some more modern maps of Tekumel. Especially, individual nation maps or even citystate maps. Im kind of new to Tekumel (still reading the novels) and Im just fascinated with the world! So much detail. Kind of overwhelming. So anyway, Im not only trying to become familiar with the rich history of the world, but Im also trying to convert the TSR EPT to 3.5 ed D&D d20. I was hoping to find someone who could point me in the right direction. Im well experienced (over 30 years) with different D&D editions, but want to streamline the rules with Tekumel's rich world. So it is taking sometime and alot of decisions. Fortunately, I have until May to get everything up and running.

      • Bruce Hubbell
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
          There is a Northwest Frontier map pack form years ago, still available at Tita's House of Games iirc. There have been maps released with each edition of the game although they tend to be in similar scale. The main city map is the old version of Jakalla from EPT although others (in a similar style exist).

          The best thing for detail / information you can get (with more maps) is the Swords and Glory volume 1 Sourcebook in either it's Gamecience or (multi volume) Different Worlds format. Tita's is on the official site (below). Speaking of which, the official site has a ton of info including maps. There is a d20 / ogl version in the works (hopefully) -- see the boards on the official site:

          http://www.tekumel.com/

          Enjoy!

          Bruce

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
            In terms of the rules conversion, I did some work on a Fantasy Craft
            adaptation. Fantasy Craft (by the same people who make Spycraft) isn't
            3.5, but it's close enough that you can probably apply at least some of my
            work. I posted it to the files section, so you can find it there.
            Alternately, you could use Fantasy Craft and then expand on the work
            that I've done. Unfortunately, life interfered, and presently I'm in law
            school (and have a final tomorrow), so if you need an assist I can only do
            so sporadically. However, I think Fantasy Craft is the better pick,
            because it is set up to handle the social elements of the adventuring world
            a lot better than vanilla 3.5, and that's pretty big in Tekumel.

            --
            Edmund Wilfong

            "In a little while you will be alone in shoreless space, to wander its
            limitless solitudes without friend or comrade forever - for you will remain
            a thought, the only existent thought, and by your nature inextinguishable,
            indestructible. [...T]here is no God, no universe, no human race, no
            earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream - a grotesque and
            foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought - a
            vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn
            among the empty eternities!"
            -The Mysterious Stranger, Mark Twain

            "Welcome to reality. The paradise of repressed dreams."
            -The Psychiatric Clinic for Abused Cuddly Toys
            On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Wolfknight <wolfknight75@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I just bought a PDF of the original TSR EPT, however, I was wondering if
            > anyone could direct me to some more modern maps of Tekumel. Especially,
            > individual nation maps or even citystate maps. Im kind of new to Tekumel
            > (still reading the novels) and Im just fascinated with the world! So much
            > detail. Kind of overwhelming. So anyway, Im not only trying to become
            > familiar with the rich history of the world, but Im also trying to convert
            > the TSR EPT to 3.5 ed D&D d20. I was hoping to find someone who could point
            > me in the right direction. Im well experienced (over 30 years) with
            > different D&D editions, but want to streamline the rules with Tekumel's
            > rich world. So it is taking sometime and alot of decisions. Fortunately, I
            > have until May to get everything up and running.

          • George Hammond
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
              On Dec 1, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Wolfknight wrote:

              > I just bought a PDF of the original TSR EPT, however, I was wondering if anyone could direct me to some more modern maps of Tekumel. Especially, individual nation maps or even citystate maps.

              There have been four rpgs published for Tekumel, and each came with a big, multi-empire map.

              "Empire of the Petal Throne" published mid/late 70s, was first. It has a hex overlay, printed colors and patterns. It ranges from the Plain of Towers and the Tsolei Islands on the west across two panels to Haida Pakala and Ssuyal to the east.
              "Swords & Glory" was next, circa '83-'85. Only the first two volumes ever made it into print. The first volume is called the Tekumel Handbook, and is all setting material, no rules. It remains the single best source for setting information. The second volume is character generation, combat rules, and spell descriptions. It has very "crunchy", very detailed rules. Also the spell descriptions in here are the most complete. The S&G map is similar in design to the EPT map, but covers twice as much area, adding two more panels worth, a whole other sheet showing the poorly documented lands east of Tsolyanu. It has a hex overlay, printed colors and patterns. As Konnel noted, it is not as easy to scan as some other other versions, but I like it for the detail.
              The next game, "Gardasiyal" was published as a boxed set in, I think, the early 90's. It lacks character generation (you were supposed to use Adventures on Tekumel volume one, a solo adventure book) and creature information (you had to buy the Tekumel Bestiary separately) but was otherwise a complete game. The map for it is very different from S&G -- more decorative, no grid, hand shaded. It adds slightly more land to the extreme east and west, but is smaller overall. It adds river names that were missing from the previous versions, but also introduces some apparent errors in the symbolism of cities, indicating population sizes that are at odds with other sources. It has a border with illustrations of clan and temple symbols.
              The most recent game is "Tekumel: Empire of the Petal Throne." A single volume published in 2005. Written by a team of Tekumel fans, published by Guardians of Order just as they were going out of business. It's a complete game, but in order to fit in one volume, a lot of stuff had to be set aside. It is focused closely on Tsolyanu itself. The map included with TEPT is derived from the Gardasiyal map, but only the western half. It's brighter than the Gardasiyal map, and the labels are bigger, but a few are missing, and I don't think it adds new information.

              There is really only one smaller scale region map. It's actually set of maps, of the northwest frontier of the Empire of the Petal Throne. First published in the early or mid 80's, the maps and gazetteer are now available from Tita's House of Games. There are no maps of individual nations or citystates.

              There are several city maps. The city of Jakalla is included with EPT, and can now be purchased online at DriveThruRPG.com and RPGNow.com. Dr. Barker shared several of his other city maps in the old Blue Room ftp site, these maps are now available on Tekumel.com
              http://www.tekumel.com/blueroom.html
              They are much smaller, and ungridded. Made, I suspect, by the Professor himself, with MacPaint, many years ago.
              There's also a line map of the city of Urmish on a page in Swords&Glory vol. 2.

              There is one other rather obscure map that might be of interest. In the mid-80's, Different Worlds re-published Swords&Glory volume 1, the Tekumel Sourcebook. They improved the type-setting from the Gamescience edition, and added some art, but they published it as three separate books. Book 2, with, I think, a brown cover, had a heavy paper insert in the middle that is an outline map of Tsolyanu (the Empire of the Petal Throne), showing the boundaries of the provinces within the Empire, and their capital cities (all or nearly all of which are cities that appear on other maps). I'm pretty sure this information doesn't exist anywhere else, unfortunately. Somebody did compile a list of the provinces and their capitals, and Dr. Barker added a few points too:
              www.echnology.net/blueroom/blueroom.php?action=4&messid=724

              I hope this is helpful, and that if I've left anything out, that other Tekumel fans will correct/add/remind me.

              > Im kind of new to Tekumel (still reading the novels) and Im just fascinated with the world! So much detail. Kind of overwhelming. So anyway, Im not only trying to become familiar with the rich history of the world, but Im also trying to convert the TSR EPT to 3.5 ed D&D d20. I was hoping to find someone who could point me in the right direction. Im well experienced (over 30 years) with different D&D editions, but want to streamline the rules with Tekumel's rich world. So it is taking sometime and alot of decisions. Fortunately, I have until May to get everything up and running.

              There is a guy in Alberta working on a Tekumel conversion using the d20 OGL. His name is Bill Hartley. He doesn't post here, but occasionally shows up on the Tekumel.com forum, as Bruce mentioned. Here's his latest thread. You can contact him by email or through a private message on the forum:
              http://www.tekumel.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=297

              Best Regards,

              George Hammond
            • Howard
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                There is a non-canonical map and text description of Palla Jakalla which I think is in the files section here.

                --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, George Hammond <worldsmith@...> wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > There is a guy in Alberta working on a Tekumel conversion using the d20 OGL. His name is Bill Hartley. He doesn't post here, but occasionally shows up on the Tekumel.com forum, as Bruce mentioned. Here's his latest thread. You can contact him by email or through a private message on the forum:

              • Peter Huston
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                  Everybody always seems to forget that in one of the Imperial Journals of Imperial Couriers or something like that in the 1980s, there was a great big article all about an expedition to explore the lands to the west of Mu-ugalavavya. Beond the land of the Chrystalli lies the lands of the Tane people who ride the Bazhaq animals and fight the Black Ssu and each other. They live on a large peninsula.
                  And the article include maps.
                  I wish someb ody would make a map and tack these on. They showe d apretty large portion of Tekumel cmparatively speaking.
                  Peter Huston

                • Brett Slocum
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                    There is also an article in Seal of the Imperium (Volume 2, Issue 1 --
                    though the cover says Volume 1, Issue 2) about going over the pole called
                    Terra Incognita that includes lots of maps.
                    ---
                    Brett Slocum <brett.slocum@...>

                    On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 8:14 AM, Peter Huston <hamchuck.1234@...>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Everybody always seems to forget that in one of the Imperial Journals of
                    > Imperial Couriers or something like that in the 1980s, there was a great
                    > big article all about an expedition to explore the lands to the west of
                    > Mu-ugalavavya. Beond the land of the Chrystalli lies the lands of the Tane
                    > people who ride the Bazhaq animals and fight the Black Ssu and each other.
                    > They live on a large peninsula.
                    > And the article include maps.
                    > I wish someb ody would make a map and tack these on. They showe d apretty
                    > large portion of Tekumel cmparatively speaking.
                    > Peter Huston

                  • Bill Acheson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                      I actually did that, the two maps overlap
                      slightly. I'll have to see if I still have the
                      paper copy around, if not, I could generate it
                      again, scan it, and post it to the group.

                      At 09:14 AM 12/3/2011, you wrote:

                      >Everybody always seems to forget that in one of
                      >the Imperial Journals of Imperial Couriers or
                      >something like that in the 1980s, there was a
                      >great big article all about an expedition to
                      >explore the lands to the west of Mu-ugalavavya.
                      >Beond the land of the Chrystalli lies the lands
                      >of the Tane people who ride the Bazhaq animals
                      >and fight the Black Ssu and each other. They live on a large peninsula.
                      >And the article include maps.
                      >I wish someb ody would make a map and tack these
                      >on. They showe d apretty large portion of Tekumel cmparatively speaking.
                      >Peter Huston

                    • Bill Acheson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                        Those maps were just little pieces, not sure how
                        well they could be added to the same style map as the earlier ones.

                        At 11:35 AM 12/3/2011, you wrote:

                        >There is also an article in Seal of the Imperium (Volume 2, Issue 1 --
                        >though the cover says Volume 1, Issue 2) about going over the pole called
                        >Terra Incognita that includes lots of maps.
                        >---
                        >Brett Slocum <<mailto:brett.slocum%40gmail.com>brett.slocum@...>
                        >
                        >On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 8:14 AM, Peter Huston
                        ><<mailto:hamchuck.1234%40yahoo.com>hamchuck.1234@...>wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > Everybody always seems to forget that in one of the Imperial Journals of
                        > > Imperial Couriers or something like that in the 1980s, there was a great
                        > > big article all about an expedition to explore the lands to the west of
                        > > Mu-ugalavavya. Beond the land of the Chrystalli lies the lands of the Tane
                        > > people who ride the Bazhaq animals and fight the Black Ssu and each other.
                        > > They live on a large peninsula.
                        > > And the article include maps.
                        > > I wish someb ody would make a map and tack these on. They showe d apretty
                        > > large portion of Tekumel cmparatively speaking.
                        > > Peter Huston

                      • Don
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 5, 2011
                          Peter,

                          I'll save you the time finding the map. I'll upload a color copy of the map I have in the Files section of the group.

                          - Don Kaiser