U-Con 2011 is MOVING

  • George Hammond
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
      Very big news for U�Con! With free airport transportation, free parking, and a discounted room rate, UCon may actually be cheaper now, at least for some of you.

      George

      Begin forwarded message:

    • chuckgame2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
        Having been on staff at a games convention that moved from a university
        setting to a hotel, I share a similar experience where the university turned
        us out after 25 years. We just had our 32nd convention, 7 years in hotels.

        I caution you on the hotel contract negotiations, although at $65 a night,
        those are a steal (Seattle is $125 a night). The caution is that the hotel
        will have fees added on for 'little things', even when you think
        volunteers might do the work, hotels might require that you use their laborers.
        Generally they require that you guarantee a number of room nights and sometime
        meals, those being at customary $12 hamburger rates, equipment and set up
        fees, etc. Good luck, but I hope you have an experienced con advisor who
        has hotel contract experience with other conventions. In our region there
        is a splendid group of experts in the science fiction community, including
        hotel professionals and accountants. Find one of your own and again, good
        luck.

        I don't know if U-Con is incorporated, but at least get a tax license to
        do business, whether non-profit or for profit. Keep someone on the books so
        that any audit by tax authorities, city, state, federal can be satisfied.
        Get insurance coverage for the company.

        In a message dated 10/3/2011 7:15:28 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        worldsmith@... writes:

        Very big news for U•Con! With free airport transportation, free parking,
        and a discounted room rate, UCon may actually be cheaper now, at least for
        some of you.

        George

        Begin forwarded message:

        > For some time now, we've been thinking about moving U-Con off of the
        University of Michigan campus. Rising room costs, administrative complexity,
        parking hassles, and the expansion of UM's home football schedule have made
        it clear that, eventually, it would no longer be in the best interests of
        the convention or our attendees to stay in the location that has been our
        home for 22 years. But we thought we would be able to make the move in our
        own good time.

        > Unfortunately, events forced our hand. At the end of July, we learned
        that we would need to find another space to hold this year's U-Con. We set to
        work on finding one, and we have - and we think you'll like it a lot. Our
        new location is the Metropolitan Hotel, in Romulus near Detroit Metro
        Airport (31500 Wick Rd., Romulus, MI, 48174). Moving out of the confines of the
        Union allows us to offer some things we've never had before:

        > - FREE PARKING. Let's say that again: parking for U-Con won't cost
        anything, and you don't have to worry about tickets! This has been the most
        common complaint we hear about the Union, and believe us, the staff have shared
        your pain.
        > - All events on one floor, with convenient access to exits for wheeling
        in carts of minis or dealer merchandise.
        > - We're in a hotel, so we'll be able to offer rooms on site at a
        discounted rate of $65/night (a limited number of larger suites are also
        available; email us for info).
        > - 24-hour gaming space.
        > - Free WiFi access in all function space.
        > - Free continental breakfast for hotel guests.
        > - Free airport shuttle to and from
        >
        > We understand that this may increase the drive for some of you, so we're
        offering a $5 discount on weekend passes to defray any additional gas
        expense.

        > We're excited about our new space, and this is only the beginning. Stay
        tuned for more details, and we look forward to seeing you at this year's
        location!

        > Joe Saul, President
        > Laura Hamel, Con Chair
        > www.ucon-gaming.org

      • Joe Saul
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
          We've got a very experienced hotel liaison working for us, and some of us on the concom also have experience with running other cons in a non-university setting. I agree with your advice. ;-)

          -- Joe