Original ? Mitlanyal Cover?

  • Henry
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2011
      Hello everyone,

      I finally tracked down something that had bugged me for a while. I could have sworn that I saw a different cover to Mitlanyal than the one that saw print, but for the life of me, I couldn't find it.

      Until just now.

      It was an ad in the Red solitary adventure for GARDASIYAL in the back.

      I scanned it and placed it in the Photo section of this group, for those who are interested.

      I did have a couple of questions for those in the know.

      1. Why wasn't that piece of art used? It look spectacular and definitely catches the eye.

      2. Anyone know the name of the artist?

      3. Is there a poster of that I can purchase? I'd hang it up in my office in a heartbeat!

      Thanks in advance.

      Best,

      Henry Lopez
    • Joe P
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
        You should be able to find the posts if you dig in the archive.

        IIRC during the delay of publishing the books the rights to the art were picked up by WOTC and used for a card in Magic the Blathering.

        --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "Henry" <PCIHenry@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I finally tracked down something that had bugged me for a while. I could have sworn that I saw a different cover to Mitlanyal than the one that saw print, but for the life of me, I couldn't find it.
        >
        > Until just now.
        >
        > It was an ad in the Red solitary adventure for GARDASIYAL in the back.
        >
        > I scanned it and placed it in the Photo section of this group, for those who are interested.
        >
        > I did have a couple of questions for those in the know.
        >
        > 1. Why wasn't that piece of art used? It look spectacular and definitely catches the eye.
        >
        > 2. Anyone know the name of the artist?
        >
        > 3. Is there a poster of that I can purchase? I'd hang it up in my office in a heartbeat!
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Henry Lopez

      • George
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
          --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "Joe P" <pizzij@...> wrote:

          > You should be able to find the posts if you dig in the archive.
          >
          > IIRC during the delay of publishing the books the rights to the art were picked up by WOTC and used for a card in Magic the Blathering.

          Here's the message where the (most noble, most scholarly) author of Mitlanyal reports this:

        • Howard
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
            Thanks for the link - that old message has some interesting links of it's own!

            It's too bad the art was re-used - I guess not paid for in advance. Does anyone know how it came to be commissioned? That is, does somebody on this list have contact with the artist?

            There are a number of French artists I would consider commissioning to do some art but there is the language barrier...

            Howard

            --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "George" <geestar3@...> wrote:

            > --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "Joe P" <pizzij@> wrote:
            > >

            > > You should be able to find the posts if you dig in the archive.
            > >
            > > IIRC during the delay of publishing the books the rights to the art were picked up by WOTC and used for a card in Magic the Blathering.
            >
            > Here's the message where the (most noble, most scholarly) author of Mitlanyal reports this:

          • Thomas Juntunen
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
              Howard cried from the depths of the abyss...

              > It's too bad the art was re-used - I guess not paid for in advance. Does
              > anyone know how it came to be commissioned? That is, does somebody on this
              > list have contact with the artist?

              I helped do much of the layout and typesetting for TOME for Gardasiyal and
              other projects. Back in 2004 I was talking to the Professor about that art. He
              told me:

              > Yes, that picture was done by Tony Balammbo. He has since died, but the
              > copyrights came over to me when Tome went toes-up.

              It was indeed used as art for one of Magic: The Gathering cards, but I'm not
              sure TOME had an exclusive.

              To contact the artist you're going to need some help from the temple of
              Belkhanu I think.

              Thomas Juntunen
            • Henry
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 6, 2011
                Hello everyone,

                Thanks for the replies.

                I'm an attorney and while I don't specialize in IP Law, I did go to a Law School that specialized in IP and I picked up a thing or two while there.

                The main point is that the art used in the Magic card is of such little resemblance to the original cover art, that they could be considered two completely different pieces of art.

                Why does that matter?

                Because if the Professor really does own the rights to that art piece and has a High Res file, it could be a really nice poster that, I for one, and I'm sure others would pay to own. As I said, it would look great framed in my office.

                So anyone know if it's true that the Professor has the rights to that piece of art?

                Thanks again for the quick responses everyone!

                Best,

                Henry Lopez
                President
                Paradigm Concepts, Inc.
                www.paradigmconcepts.com

                --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Juntunen <tmj@...> wrote:

                > Howard cried from the depths of the abyss...
                >
                > > It's too bad the art was re-used - I guess not paid for in advance. Does
                > > anyone know how it came to be commissioned? That is, does somebody on this
                > > list have contact with the artist?
                >
                > I helped do much of the layout and typesetting for TOME for Gardasiyal and
                > other projects. Back in 2004 I was talking to the Professor about that art. He
                > told me:
                >
                > > Yes, that picture was done by Tony Balammbo. He has since died, but the
                > > copyrights came over to me when Tome went toes-up.
                >
                > It was indeed used as art for one of Magic: The Gathering cards, but I'm not
                > sure TOME had an exclusive.
                >
                > To contact the artist you're going to need some help from the temple of
                > Belkhanu I think.
                >

                > Thomas Juntunen

              • Brett Slocum
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 6, 2011
                  A tee shirt. I want a tee shirt. There aren't enough Tekumel tee shirts. I
                  have one with a Mihalli on it. That's it!

                  I'd buy a tee shirt of it, as well as the cover from The Tsolyani Language
                  book (with the two women, the man, and the Tinaliya).

                  BTW, the artist mentioned as being the creator of that image is not the
                  artist that is listed as the creator of the Magic card image.
                  ---
                  Brett Slocum <slocum@...>

                  On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Henry <PCIHenry@...> wrote:

                  > Hello everyone,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the replies.
                  >
                  > I'm an attorney and while I don't specialize in IP Law, I did go to a Law
                  > School that specialized in IP and I picked up a thing or two while there.
                  >
                  > The main point is that the art used in the Magic card is of such little
                  > resemblance to the original cover art, that they could be considered two
                  > completely different pieces of art.
                  >
                  > Why does that matter?
                  >
                  > Because if the Professor really does own the rights to that art piece and
                  > has a High Res file, it could be a really nice poster that, I for one, and
                  > I'm sure others would pay to own. As I said, it would look great framed in
                  > my office.
                  >
                  > So anyone know if it's true that the Professor has the rights to that piece
                  > of art?
                  >
                  > Thanks again for the quick responses everyone!
                  >
                  > Best,
                  >
                  > Henry Lopez
                  > President
                  > Paradigm Concepts, Inc.
                  > www.paradigmconcepts.com
                  >

                  > --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Juntunen <tmj@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Howard cried from the depths of the abyss...
                  > >
                  > > > It's too bad the art was re-used - I guess not paid for in advance.
                  > Does
                  > > > anyone know how it came to be commissioned? That is, does somebody on
                  > this
                  > > > list have contact with the artist?
                  > >
                  > > I helped do much of the layout and typesetting for TOME for Gardasiyal
                  > and
                  > > other projects. Back in 2004 I was talking to the Professor about that
                  > art. He
                  > > told me:
                  > >
                  > > > Yes, that picture was done by Tony Balammbo. He has since died, but the
                  >
                  > > > copyrights came over to me when Tome went toes-up.
                  > >
                  > > It was indeed used as art for one of Magic: The Gathering cards, but I'm
                  > not
                  > > sure TOME had an exclusive.
                  > >
                  > > To contact the artist you're going to need some help from the temple of
                  > > Belkhanu I think.
                  > >

                  > > Thomas Juntunen

                • niall_gordon
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 7, 2011
                    I agree, we need more tee shirts. I have the two that Tita's sell, but I haven't one with a Mihalli on it and I'd love one with the Mitlanyal cover on it.

                    --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Brett Slocum <brett.slocum@...> wrote:

                    > A tee shirt. I want a tee shirt. There aren't enough Tekumel tee shirts. I
                    > have one with a Mihalli on it. That's it!
                    >
                    > I'd buy a tee shirt of it, as well as the cover from The Tsolyani Language
                    > book (with the two women, the man, and the Tinaliya).
                    >
                    > BTW, the artist mentioned as being the creator of that image is not the
                    > artist that is listed as the creator of the Magic card image.
                    > ---
                    > Brett Slocum <slocum@...>
                    >

                    > On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Henry <PCIHenry@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Hello everyone,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the replies.
                    > >
                    > > I'm an attorney and while I don't specialize in IP Law, I did go to a Law
                    > > School that specialized in IP and I picked up a thing or two while there.
                    > >
                    > > The main point is that the art used in the Magic card is of such little
                    > > resemblance to the original cover art, that they could be considered two
                    > > completely different pieces of art.
                    > >
                    > > Why does that matter?
                    > >
                    > > Because if the Professor really does own the rights to that art piece and
                    > > has a High Res file, it could be a really nice poster that, I for one, and
                    > > I'm sure others would pay to own. As I said, it would look great framed in
                    > > my office.
                    > >
                    > > So anyone know if it's true that the Professor has the rights to that piece
                    > > of art?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks again for the quick responses everyone!
                    > >
                    > > Best,
                    > >
                    > > Henry Lopez
                    > > President
                    > > Paradigm Concepts, Inc.
                    > > www.paradigmconcepts.com
                    > >

                    > > --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Juntunen <tmj@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Howard cried from the depths of the abyss...

                    > > Does
                    > > this
                    > > >
                    > > > I helped do much of the layout and typesetting for TOME for Gardasiyal
                    > > and
                    > > > other projects. Back in 2004 I was talking to the Professor about that
                    > > art. He
                    > > > told me:

                    > > > It was indeed used as art for one of Magic: The Gathering cards, but I'm
                    > > not
                    > > > sure TOME had an exclusive.
                    > > >
                    > > > To contact the artist you're going to need some help from the temple of
                    > > > Belkhanu I think.
                    > > >

                    > > > Thomas Juntunen

                  • Grinch
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 7, 2011
                      --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Brett Slocum <brett.slocum@...> wrote:

                      > A tee shirt. I want a tee shirt. There aren't enough Tekumel tee shirts. I
                      > have one with a Mihalli on it. That's it!
                      >
                      > I'd buy a tee shirt of it, as well as the cover from The Tsolyani Language
                      > book (with the two women, the man, and the Tinaliya).
                      >
                      > BTW, the artist mentioned as being the creator of that image is not the
                      > artist that is listed as the creator of the Magic card image.
                      > ---
                      > Brett Slocum <slocum@...>

                      Ohhh man I would love a t shirt of that!

                      My first ever gaming con, the 8 or so of us from my group that were going had T shirts made. They were Tekumel-themed. We were all playing Sarku worshippers in our game, so the shirts were brown, with a glyph of Srykarum on the front and on the back it was written in Tsolyani "Compliments of the 18th National Bank of Jakalla"...