Artwork

  • triad@prairie.lakes.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
      I'm working, once again, on finishing my Tekumel Review project after a long
      delay. And I'm hoping to do a couple of quick fact checks regarding artwork:

      I note that the art in the S&G Player's Handbook (Vol. 2) is credited to
      Barker and Smith (with two specific illos credited to Quinlan). My copy of
      the Tekumel Source Book (Vol. 1) has no art credits, but I notice that the
      racial illustrations are all signed by Smith -- while it appears that only a
      couple of full (or near-full) page illos -- notably on pgs. 17 and 136 --
      have the initials PB followed by a number.

      Do the numbers have a significance? And does anyone know what type of process
      generated the artwork? Who Craig James Smith, and how did he end up doing
      these pieces?

      In addition, as I look at my copy of THE TEKUMEL BESTIARY, I note that
      Giovanno Fregni seems to have mimicked the Smith style in his illos. Was this
      a deliberate style choice, coincidence, or a side-effect of some shared
      generation/feedback process?

      Justin Bacon
      triad3204@...

    • Bob Alberti
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
        --- In tekumel@egroups.com, triad@p... wrote:
        > have the initials PB followed by a number.

        I can't recall who PB is (Victor?) but the number is likely the year
        of the drawing -- 77?

        > Who Craig James Smith, and how did he end up doing
        > these pieces?

        If I'm not mistaken, he's the late lamented Craig Smith now, having
        died in an automobile accident several years ago. Very upsetting.

        > Giovanno Fregni seems to have mimicked the Smith style in his
        illos. Was this a deliberate style choice, coincidence, or a side-
        effect of some shared generation/feedback process?

        I don't suspect any deliberate imitation -- Gio's a professional
        artist whose style is all her own. As for the similarities, well,
        they both drew the same environment, so it follows there would be
        some common appearance.
      • Brett Slocum
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
          On 1 Jan 01, at 16:52, Bob Alberti wrote:

          > > Who Craig James Smith, and how did he end up doing
          > > these pieces?
          >
          > If I'm not mistaken, he's the late lamented Craig Smith now, having
          > died in an automobile accident several years ago. Very upsetting.

          Did he? I'm very sorry.

          You aren't mixing him up with Curtis Scott, author of the Tsolyani Primer, are
          you?

          Craig was one of the original players in Barker's campaign. He and Tim (I
          can't remember his last name) ran the first EPT campaign down at the Little
          Tin Soldier Shop (the local game shop back then) that I first got exposed to
          Tekumel in. He also did most of the art in the old Tekumel Journals.

          ---
          Brett Slocum -- slocum@... -- ICQ #13032903
          Home page: http://www.skypoint.com/~slocum/
          "Ah'm yer pa, Luke." -- if James Earl Ray was the voice of Darth Vader
        • Bob Alberti
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
            --- In tekumel@egroups.com, "Brett Slocum" <slocum@s...> wrote:
            > On 1 Jan 01, at 16:52, Bob Alberti wrote:
            > You aren't mixing him up with Curtis Scott, author of the Tsolyani
            Primer, are you?

            > Craig was one of the original players in Barker's campaign. He and
            Tim (I can't remember his last name) ran the first EPT campaign down
            at the Little Tin Soldier Shop (the local game shop back then) that I
            first got exposed to Tekumel in. He also did most of the art in the
            old Tekumel Journals.

            Oh, now you're probably right. I'll have to wait for Victor or Joe
            to chime in -- anyone who doesn't suffer from my complete inability
            to remember names.
          • Justin Bacon
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 1, 2001
              Bob Alberti wrote:

              > --- In tekumel@egroups.com, triad@p... wrote:
              > > have the initials PB followed by a number.
              >
              > I can't recall who PB is (Victor?) but the number is likely the year
              > of the drawing -- 77?

              Ah, yes. Now that I look at it, I'm pretty sure that what I thought was
              "1379" is, in fact, 1979. The other one (on pg. 17) is illegible, but as
              I look at it on the cover of DW's Vol. 1, Book 1 (where it was used as a
              color cover), it very clearly becomes 83. Both of which makes sense.

              As for PB, I was assuming "Phil Barker".

              Justin Bacon
              triad3204@...