Re: [tekumel] Re: Tekumel and the Satanic Panic

  • Monstros Energos
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2010
      I am a licensed minister who has served in ministry for many years. And I also enjoy playing the original EPT! The themes present in the game are certainly all found in the Bible...Tekumel is for a mature audience. Myself I see no contradictions in my spiritual beliefs and playing fantasy games..which are essentially only yet another venue of fiction. Now me, I have no intent of using Ebon Bindings in my EPT games. I allow for the dynamic to be present in the game I referee but I do not explore it in elaborate detail. I tried playing a Christian rpg once...it's heart was in the right place I suppose but ultimately I felt much better taking a decidely alien landscape (Tekumel) and gaming there than trying to base a game on spiritual beliefs. Spiritual beliefs are transcendent--they are not the stuff of games in my opinion.
      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 11 , May 1 6:56 AM
        Needless to say, none of my fellow atheists have any superstitious prejudice against gaming. I wouldn't hang out with them if they did.

        -Jeff Dee
        UNIgames

        "Zane H. Healy" wrote:

        > At 3:33 PM +0000 4/30/10, LorenG wrote:
        > >I attend a fundamentalist Baptist Church, and I can say without
        > >reservation, at least here, the "Satanic Panic" over RPGs still
        > >exists. I'd imagine if I let one of the elders look through my copy
        > >of the "Book of Ebon Bindings," I'd probably be disfellowshipped for
        > >being a closet satanist.
        > >
        > >Now to be honest, it does seem the focus has shifted from the print
        > >editions of games to the video versions (and personally myself, I
        > >cringe that these are even considered real RPGs), but that is mainly
        > >due to the fact that more kids play them today than the paper and
        > >pencil versions.
        > >
        > >Frankly, knowing how my church (and those I've attended in the past)
        > >reacted to Dungeons and Dragons, they'd have had a stroke over EPT
        > >in any of it's incarnations had it come to their attention. Simple
        > >fact is that most of the accusations against D&D would be doubly so
        > >against EPT.
        >
        > I guess it is a good thing I'm Fundamentalist Lutheran then! ;-) I'm
        > not the only gamer in our Church, and our Pastor and his wife are
        > Doctor Who fan's. Back during the time of the "panic", I gather the
        > Youth Group at the Church I attended at that time played D&D. I've
        > always felt that as long as you understand that it isn't reality, but
        > fantasy, it's mostly harmless fun. Having said that, there are
        > things I won't touch in any RPG I've run. Years ago, upon learning
        > of my religious background, Phil mentioned that he was sometimes
        > surprised by the types of people that were into EPT. He also
        > mentioned a couple clergyman (I want to say two different faiths)
        > that were into it.
        >
        > My wife was brought up as a Baptist, when we got married she had a
        > very bad opinion of gamers. I wasn't that active at the time, and
        > most of my bookcases of RPG books were packed up, and in storage. In
        > the time we've been married she's learned that gamers aren't any
        > worse than "normal" people, and she even plays in my Call of Cthulhu
        > campaign. OTOH, her Mother apparently wasn't too amused when shortly
        > after the first Seal issue was released, I had a copy sitting out. I
        > can't remember if she told her Mother that I had written an article
        > in there or not. :-)
        >
        > I'm sure some people at church would object to some of the things
        > like the "Book of Ebon Bindings" in my library, but then I also have
        > a few non-fiction books that those same people would most likely
        > object to.
        >
        > Zane
      • Francis Tiffany
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1 7:02 AM
          I know a Tibetan Lhama with a copy of 'Space Opera'....

        • slposey42
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4 9:44 AM

            I recall talking to the Professor at a convention some (MANY actually :-/) years ago, not too long after 1e BOEB came out.

            He recounted how he'd been contacted by a representative of some fundamentalist group who bragged about buying up every copy of BOEB they could get their hands on and burning them, and asked the Professor what he thought about that.

            His response was words to the effect of "Fine, I've got your money; do you want some more?".

            Stephen Posey
            stephenlposey@...
          • Karin Karejanrakoi
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5 11:46 PM