Re: [tekumel] Den-Den playtesting

  • Kenneth Oswald
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
      I'm always interested in trying out new games, so I'll test it (gameoholic).

      I've always pictured Den Den as a kind of "Go" game...

      Good Luck,

      Ken.O.

      On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:09 AM, pixiecrack@... <pixiecrack@...

      --
      Opinion is the blanket one sticks their head under so they may sleep.

    • karl.gellert
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
        I'm also glad to see Danielle's effort. I'm very interested in chess and Go -- but not too talented at either -- so I've always been quite interested in den-den. But I've thought that den-den was very much not like chess or Go in two important ways: first, there were more than two players, so it was not a model for a battle between two minds; second, it used dice in some way, which makes it more like a backgammon, and similar games where chance plays a role.

        Chess and Go are the ultimate "strategy" games because they are total information games in which chance plays no role. Therefore one can study typical situations deeply.

        From the descriptions of den-den in the novels, I got the impression that it was some cross between Parcheesi and some sort of chess. You needed to get pieces into a certain part of the board and you could capture opposing pieces, and pieces had different values.

        --Karl