Re: [tekumel] Re: Self-Publishing Tekumel

  • Bruce Hubbell
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
      C&C is the other one I was nagging myself about. They just popped a new edition of it (3rd I believe). It's described as "rules light" and it caught my interest as well. Haven't bought the books (yet), and I'm not sure about the licensing of thier OGL variant, although it is OGL and hence open to  use by others. I have Sandy Peterson's conversion around too, and, although I loved Runequest, it wasn't the easiest system to use (i.e. a simple skirmish took hours...). I have heard of Savage Worlds, but I'm not familiar with it. Occasionally I think about working back through my old EPT rules and updating everything to a newer OGL system and dragging my D&D players (well Pathfinder currently) kicking and screaming into Tekumel. A combination of nostalgia and practicality. A lot of people assume d20  mechanics are "too action oriented" for a more sophisticated setting than the typical D&D campaign. They're wrong. The mechanics are solid and adaptible and it
      would be fun.

      Bruce

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
        I was looking at the C&C website last night trying to get a better
        feel for what exactly it is. I saw that the C&C Players Handbook is
        now in the 4th printing, and contains updated material. What isn't
        clear is just what books are needed, but it looks like the "Players
        Handbook" is the only required one with the "Monsters & Treasures"
        book being strongly recommended. The price seems right as well, as
        the PH is $25 and MT $20. I look at some of the books I would like
        to get now for other systems and they're $50-60.

        I would probably recommend anyone thinking about an updated BRP
        version to base it on the BRP Quick-Start rules, with any loose ends
        tied up using the BRP book. My main rule system is a slightly
        modified version of "Call of Cthulhu v5.6.1", and I helped playtest
        the "Basic Roleplaying" book. Even I find the big "Basic
        Roleplaying" book to be a bit intimidating! It is a great book, and
        can be used for just about anything, but it is not small!

        I think part of the reason Savage Worlds is popular is the low cost
        of getting into the system. The "Explorers Edition" is only $10. I
        can't help but feel that some of the popularity of some of the newer
        systems is quite simply down to cost of entry, and $10 is hard to
        beat.

        While I don't like d20, I don't consider it to be "to action
        oriented", I consider it to be to much of a tabletop miniatures game
        that is way to complicated. From my brief encounter the mechanics
        seem clean enough, it is simply too "rules heavy" for my taste. For
        someone that doesn't like it, I own a depressing amount, including
        all the d20 Modern books, as I tried to get over my dislike of it,
        and seriously thought about using it for a Pulp Campaign. Now I'm
        taking a serious look at "Savage Worlds", though am more likely to
        use a modified version of CoC/BRP.

        Zane