Re: terraced hills and other telling details

  • barrybltt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2007
      I have had the same thought. As part of my current PBP campaign i
      stuck these on the net by way of an illustration of the PCs home in
      the mountians.

      http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/Illakma_Valley

      Though this might be more like the more densely populated areas.

      http://www.guilinchina.net/photo/longji/longji19.htm

      Barry Blatt

      --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Peter Huston <hamchuck.1234@...>
      wrote:

      > Just thought I'd post a quick note. In creating fiction,
      including RPGs, "telling details" often go a long way towards
      creating believability.

      > Over Christmas, I had the chance to get to a place in the
      mountains of Taiwan called 'alishan." Stayed in a village inhabited
      primarily by a group of indigenous non-
      > Chinese people called the "Tsou" (rhymes with "row" not "now").
      >
      > A couple details that came to mind were the terraced hills with
      the rock walls keeping them in place. The larger rocks were on the
      bottom of the wall and the top half of the wall had primarily smaller
      rocks. These were used, primarily, for growing tea.

      > Other things that I noticed were the different kinds of trees.
      Although previously I would have described them all as "different
      kinds of palm trees' by the end of the weekend i could distinguish
      between betel nut trees and coconut as well as banana trees. Also,
      and it makes sense, where people live the plants tend to have been
      planted and or maintained by people so you get a lot of exotic plants
      that are useful (such as coffee) growing right outside someone's
      house and leaning over on to the porch.

      > Not to mention the sounds of domestic animals in the morning and
      so on.

      > Anyway, thought occurred to me (being a geek) that parts of
      Tekumel would look a lot like this in several ways. It was a
      beautiful place and worth a visit should anyone be in the region.