Re: Spell phyla

  • panchakahq
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, kalimac@... wrote:

      > How does S&G magic differ from Gardasiyal magic?

      Well, one is metric and one uses traditional units of measurement. One
      is printed on better paper than the other.

      No, seriously, though; S&G has a fair number of intermediate levels
      for many spells that are essentially minor increases in range, power,
      duration, etc. over a lower level (e.g., U5: Controls animals up to
      medium size; U7: Controls animals up to large size). Gardasiyal drops
      or consolidates many of these 'minor variants'. That's the biggest
      difference I noticed, in several years of using each.

      Besides that there's the generally simplified or streamlined (or "less
      simulationist", if you like) rules system of Gardasiyal as a whole, of
      course.

      Kim
    • John M Kahane
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hullo, Klaus,

        Just so that you know, I'm not sure this message is suitable for
        the main Tekumel list, and might have been better off on the Tekumel rpg
        gaming mailing list. What do the rest of the folks here think of this?

        In a message of May 30th, 2006, kalimac@... wrote,

        > The structure of magic on Tekumel seems to have changed between
        >Gardasiyal and T EPT.

        Has it? :)

        > I just reread the Gardasiyal sorcery book, and got a surprise.
        >In T EPT the word "phylum" is mentioned once or twice as a
        >characteristic of spells. It is not explained, but it was
        > rather obvious, I tought, that it refered to psychic vs.
        > ritual spells. What else could it mean?

        Well, it could mean the difference between the Universal, Generic,
        and Temple....

        <stuff snipped>

        > In T EPT there are temple spells and others. The distinction
        >between universal and generic is gone. Or is it?

        That would seem reasonable.

        > Some spells are marked universal. This seems to be just a
        > shorthand for listing all he gods. If you compare a universal
        >and a temple spell you will see that the words "universal"
        >and "temple" appear under different headings, indicating
        >that they are not points on the same scale. Universal spells
        >are no easier to learn or cast than others. The freelance
        > teachers are gone.

        Well, the spells are divided by Temple and Universal, and by
        Psychic and Ritual. What makes this different than the way magic on
        Tekumel seems to operate to me all this time, and based on what I've
        read about magic in various places?

        > Are the new rules more like the "real" Tekumel?

        Only folks like Victor, Bob, and the TNG group members would know
        the answer to this one, but they don't use lots of rules to begin with,
        so...

        Chocolate not found. (C)ry (W)himper (D)espair

        --
        JohnK
        e-mail: jkahane@...