RE: [tekumel] Old Farts, Unite!

  • Antony Farrell
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
      There are more of us than you know.

      That may be comforting, or maybe it is not.

      Antony

    • Wolfdancer01@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
        It depends, I am glad to be called a ole fart because I enjoy having the
        entire line of original EPT games and suppliments, something that all the
        youngsters can not say. Although when I look at the copyright dates and there are
        only one and I realise that I bought them when they first were made available
        my poor ole bones to tend to creak a little.But in my case I have to say that
        my reason for getting into RPG`s was reading the Lord of the Rings Trilogy
        which lead me to the original D&D, then Empire of the Petal Throne, and then
        on to so many others, both good and bad, although I still have a great
        fondness for a game called Boot Hill. It sometimes deeply saddens me to look out at
        the games now that are becoming more reality based with people tending to
        forget that sometimes fantasy and science fiction are good because in these
        games anything is truly possible and if there are strange creatures that you
        somehow can`t explain, who cares, they are part and parcel of the game and
        instead of trying to explain them you should sit back and enjoy them for what they
        are and for what they bring to the game. I had a really wonderful GM when I
        was young and he allowed for changing timelines and for a free flow of
        imagination in all his games. Sure, things sometimes got out of hand but you never
        knew what was coming next, it was never boring.

      • joe piz
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
          > Me three. I played one, count it, one session of D&D
          > in the original set.

          You think you had it rough. Back in my day we had ONE brown
          book...and it was Dungeons. Just dungeons. No one thought to put
          dragons in yet. Hours of role playing a bunch of fighters walking
          around a dank smelly dungeon with nothing to fight, complaining about
          the iron rations which even the weevils wouldn't touch. One torch
          between us that gave off half the light of a dead firefly. There were
          17 of us crammed into a 10 foot wide corridor, with one bow to share
          between us. A short horse bow at that.

          No one had thought of dice yet. We either flipped pennies over and
          over, or we'd blinfold the new guy and make him spin the TV's UHF
          dial to get a random number between 15 and 73. None of this
          fancy-britches six siders yet...oh no....

          drinking flat Faygo diet orange soda out of a filthy cracked cup...

          a couple of years later we got our first mrur fight, seven of us to
          share ONE mrur, and we considered ourselves lucky!

          and you tell the kids of today this...and they don't believe you...
        • Thomas Worthington
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
            On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 15:39:02 -0000, joe piz <pizzij@...> wrote:

            > There were 17 of us crammed into a 10 foot wide corridor, with one bow
            > to share
            > between us. A short horse bow at that.

            You had a bow?! Luxury! We 'ad piece of 'lastic made from our own sinews.
            If we wanted to engage in missile combat we had t' hop while we used one
            of our dead henchmen's rigour mortised legs for to make a catapult. AND we
            'ad to make do wi' pointy twigs for arrows.

            > and you tell the kids of today this...and they don't believe you...

            Aye.
          • Wolfdancer01@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
              Finally, somebodies whos been there and truly understands, of course, when I
              played, chainmail had not been invented yet so all we had was leather and
              loin clothes.

            • Wolfdancer01@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
                Er, what are missle weapons?

              • Steve@origob.cix.co.uk
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
                  > Er, what are missle weapons?

                  I think that's when you throw prayer books at each other...
                • Hugh K. Singh
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
                    I'm still trying to figure out what are loin cloths and what are these
                    "weapons" you speak of? Are we not strong enough to take what we want?
                    Do we not lime our hair and run screaming at those who piss us off?
                    Have you all grown OLD!

                    Will go lie down now.

                  • Wolfdancer01@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
                      Well, that would depend on what religion, personally, I prefer Hymnals

                    • Anthony Ragan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
                        On 2/1/06, Steve@... <Steve@...> wrote:

                        > > Er, what are missle weapons?
                        >
                        > I think that's when you throw prayer books at each other...

                        A hurled Tinaliya?

                        --
                        *********
                        --Anthony Ragan (irishspy@..., http://irishspy.livejournal.com)

                      • Stephen C. Nanny
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 1, 2006
                          Grot have rock and club and consider self pretty damn luck to have rock

                          Wolfdancer01@... wrote:

                          >Er, what are missle weapons?

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Massive multiplayer online role playing games Star wars role playing game Wheel of time role playing game

                        • yalunequ
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                            <seismic rumbling>

                            quiet, younglings! your babble and chatter is beginning to disrupt
                            the sleep of Those Who Lurk. These great old beings have long lain
                            under the web of life. They were there before the Things That Are
                            came to be. They worshipped the Idea. They Knew of Fantasy. They
                            made it so.

                            Disturb them not, for occasionally they open one crusted weeping eye
                            and gaze upon the newness of the world. Should they rise up, their
                            grumblings and heavy footfall will shatter the illusions of youth
                            and again cause empires to fall..

                            back, back to sleep now.

                            shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

                            --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen C. Nanny" <snanny@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Grot have rock and club and consider self pretty damn luck to have
                            rock

                            games Role playing games online
                            > Massive multiplayer online role playing games Star wars
                            role playing game Wheel of time role playing game

                            of Service.

                          • Eric J Moritz
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                              yalunequ wrote:
                              > <seismic rumbling>
                              >
                              > quiet, younglings! your babble and chatter is beginning to disrupt
                              > the sleep of Those Who Lurk. These great old beings have long lain
                              > under the web of life. They were there before the Things That Are
                              > came to be. They worshipped the Idea. They Knew of Fantasy. They
                              > made it so.
                              >
                              > Disturb them not, for occasionally they open one crusted weeping eye
                              > and gaze upon the newness of the world. Should they rise up, their
                              > grumblings and heavy footfall will shatter the illusions of youth
                              > and again cause empires to fall..
                              >
                              > back, back to sleep now.
                              >
                              > shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.........

                              Yup. Don't want to wake up our parents. (^_-)

                              ~Eric
                            • Wolfdancer01@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                                Dear Eric, You may thank those of us who blazed the trail in the beginning
                                for all of the excellent games available to you now, and remember, it is those
                                very same "ancients" that you may also thank for this web site on Tekumel.

                              • Hugh K. Singh
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 2, 2006
                                  Boy he sure got up on the wrong side of the sleepig meadow. Let him get
                                  at the berry bushes first.