Re: Captain Harchar

  • Bob Alberti
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      I'd lay bets that even Harchar doesn't actually know how old he is.
      However, keep in mind that the initial manuscript for Mitlanyal was
      produced around 2363, with updates, additions and corrections made
      around, what, 2369? As the date is now 2383 or 2384, Captain Harchar
      would be correspondingly older were anyone able to locate him.

      By the way, there is no truth to the rumor that the actor Johnny Depp
      based his portrayal of Captain Jack Sparrow upon that of Captain
      Harchar. While he may be a wanted pirate who steals from the rich and
      also from the poor, he does have his own sense of khomoyi, and would
      never work for Disney. And he's rearely THAT swishy.

      --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Giovanna Fregni <fregni@s...> wrote:

      > Well, I think that Captain Harchar is 38 in the same sense that Jack
      > Benny was 39. Harchar's crew is extremely loyal and close knit, so if
      > you're on the open sea and the nearest piece of land would be somewhere
      > deep in Salavya, the wisest thing to say would be something on the
      order
      > of: "38? Why, you hardly look a day over 29 and here I thought that you
      > were too young to enjoy some of this fine mash brandy. Here let me fill
      > your cup..."
      > Truthfully, Harchar has been around a long time and is currently
      > battling the weather near Orlando.
      >

      > >Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 01:28:03 -0000
      > > From: "Thomas Worthington" <thomas@o...>
      > >Subject: Captain Harchar
      > >
      > >Harchar is listed in Mitlanyal as being 38, but he is constantly
      refered
      > >to as "old" and he has, I believe, been a played character in
      Tekumel for