blood

  • erol murphy
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2 7:23 AM
      Hi, it's me again
      Does anyone know the color of Ssu blood
      -both grey and black
      -both fresh and dried
      Thanx
      Brian from Chicago

    • gstarrh
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2 12:39 PM
        On Monday, August 2, 2004, at 10:23 AM, erol murphy wrote:

        > Hi, it's me again
        > Does anyone know the color of Ssu blood
        > -both grey and black
        > -both fresh and dried

        Have you looked in "Flamesong?" That's the only published source I
        know of with a combat scene involving Ssu. I don't know if there is any
        Ssu blood described there though.

        --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, joe piz <pizzij@y...> wrote:
        > > Darn it! Bring this list back on topic! What color is Ssu blood?
        >
        > what color are Ssu nipples? I forget...are Ssu live birth critters?
        > or eggs like their 'cousins' the hluss? single births? multiples?
        > ugh...not something I want to visualize...large pregnant ssu-mother
        > squirtin' out amneotic sack covered slimey wet Ssu-ankle-biters.

        All we know is from the Bestiary (in turn taken from the Sourcebook I
        think) that there are three "genders" among the Ssu. The vast majority
        are non-reproductive worker/fighters. These are led by male
        "drone/leaders". These two are encountered outside Ssu communities.
        There is also a female "spawner" sex. That suggests they lay eggs.
        There's no indication that they nurse their young, but then I've never
        seen a description of a female. I doubt any human in contemporary
        Tekumel times has seen one and lived to tell the tale, unless perhaps
        the Pechani have raided Ssu homeplaces successfully. Perhaps in the
        archives of the Ancients more information may exist.

        playing the straight man,

        George
      • erol murphy
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3 1:42 PM
          Thanks for the tip
          The Bestiary is handy enough,
          but I read Flamesong so long ago
          that it didn't occur to me to look there.
          I have about 250 EPT archives to look through
          and sometimes it's easier to throw inquiries on the net.
          After I finish my current gift dragon, I plan to start
          the earthworks for my Kurt Hills scenario--I'll be making
          spikeworks that have ssu blood on them.
          Brian

          gstarrh <geestar3@...> wrote:

          On Monday, August 2, 2004, at 10:23 AM, erol murphy wrote:

          > Hi, it's me again
          > Does anyone know the color of Ssu blood
          > -both grey and black
          > -both fresh and dried

          Have you looked in "Flamesong?" That's the only published source I
          know of with a combat scene involving Ssu. I don't know if there is any
          Ssu blood described there though.

          --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, joe piz <pizzij@y...> wrote:
          > > Darn it! Bring this list back on topic! What color is Ssu blood?
          >
          > what color are Ssu nipples? I forget...are Ssu live birth critters?
          > or eggs like their 'cousins' the hluss? single births? multiples?
          > ugh...not something I want to visualize...large pregnant ssu-mother
          > squirtin' out amneotic sack covered slimey wet Ssu-ankle-biters.

          All we know is from the Bestiary (in turn taken from the Sourcebook I
          think) that there are three "genders" among the Ssu. The vast majority
          are non-reproductive worker/fighters. These are led by male
          "drone/leaders". These two are encountered outside Ssu communities.
          There is also a female "spawner" sex. That suggests they lay eggs.
          There's no indication that they nurse their young, but then I've never
          seen a description of a female. I doubt any human in contemporary
          Tekumel times has seen one and lived to tell the tale, unless perhaps
          the Pechani have raided Ssu homeplaces successfully. Perhaps in the
          archives of the Ancients more information may exist.

          playing the straight man,

          George

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Frank L. Filz
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3 7:48 PM
            > Thanks for the tip
            > The Bestiary is handy enough,
            > but I read Flamesong so long ago
            > that it didn't occur to me to look there.
            > I have about 250 EPT archives to look through
            > and sometimes it's easier to throw inquiries on the net.
            > After I finish my current gift dragon, I plan to start
            > the earthworks for my Kurt Hills scenario--I'll be making
            > spikeworks that have ssu blood on them.
            > Brian

            Hmm, I don't suppose anyone has considered doing an index to the novels
            (or indeed all of the publications)? Such would be quite cool, and quite
            a bit of work.

            Frank
          • ShaZamick
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4 1:10 PM
              --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, erol murphy <ebkmsma@y...> wrote:
              > Hi, it's me again
              > Does anyone know the color of Ssu blood
              > -both grey and black
              > -both fresh and dried
              > Thanx
              > Brian from Chicago

              Here is some guestimation.

              1. It may be more of an insectile ichor, which would be clearish to
              yellowish.

              2. It perhaps could use copper to bind oxygen rather than iron, in
              which case you could have a greenish-blue. (Which goes well with their
              nice blue glowing fungus. Copper is of course a much more common metal
              on Tekumel.

              Those would be my two top guestimates.
            • Stephen Posey
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 4 1:42 PM
                ShaZamick wrote:

                > --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, erol murphy <ebkmsma@y...> wrote:
                >
                >>Hi, it's me again
                >>Does anyone know the color of Ssu blood
                >>-both grey and black
                >>-both fresh and dried
                >>Thanx
                >>Brian from Chicago
                >
                > Here is some guestimation.
                >
                > 1. It may be more of an insectile ichor, which would be clearish to
                > yellowish.
                >
                > 2. It perhaps could use copper to bind oxygen rather than iron, in
                > which case you could have a greenish-blue. (Which goes well with their
                > nice blue glowing fungus. Copper is of course a much more common metal
                > on Tekumel.
                >
                > Those would be my two top guestimates.

                Along these lines it would be interesting to know some similar facts
                about all the non-humans: e.g. What color is Shunned One or Ahoggya blood?

                What happens to Ssu cast off skin fragments? Do they tend to just leave
                them where they lay or do they collect them for some purpose? What about
                decomposition? Given the Ssu's dietary preference for plants poisonous
                to many non-Tekumelani creatures, I might guess Ssu tissues would be
                unappealing to any non-native scavengers.

                I speculate that the various chitinous species must moult in some
                fashion, what happens to cast off exoskeletons (esp. the Hluss, who
                decorate themselves so much)?

                I know the Sourcebook goes a bit into reproduction issues, but other
                than the Shen laying eggs and the Pachi Lei "budding", I don't recall
                any specifics on the production of young. Are any of the other species
                oviparous? What do the eggs look like? How long is gestation? Are they
                tended in any special way?

                I recall some information on diet for most of the species in the
                Sourcebook, but I'll refrain from asking about the necessary
                consequences of eating and drinking (though tracking a party of Ssu by
                their "scat" might be amusing ;-))

                Inquiring minds want to know...

                Stephen Posey
                slposey@...