Re: Klamath vs Maidu

  • barker_muhammad
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2004
      --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "panchakahq" <panchakahq@e...> wrote:
      > What would Tekumel have been like if it had been written by someone
      > who cut his teeth on Maidu, instead of Klamath?
      >
      > http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2004/07/06_400.html
      >
      > Note the mention of inventing his own languages for fun -- the ever
      > less Secret Vice!

      Dear Mr. Panchakahq,

      Bill Shipley? He was one of my dearest friends at Berkeley when I was there, and Irode with
      him up to Klamatth Falls and also visited his Maidu lady with him once. We had some good
      times, and he is the "Shipali" to whom the large Tsolyani land grant is addressed.
      Someone once told me the original still hangs on his office wall. He never played or took
      part in Tekumel, other than a scholarly interest in its languages. I am pleased to know that
      he is still alive and hale and hearty. We lost contact many years ago -- mostly my fault; I
      lose friends the minute we are out of sight of one another. I guess it is just my sterling
      personality! I do not correspond now with anyoone in academe -- only you unlucky
      Tekumel people! At any rate, it's nice to know that he is loved and respected by his
      students!
    • Jamallo Kreen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2004
        --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "barker_muhammad" <barke002@u...> wrote:

        > Dear Mr. Panchakahq,
        >
        > Bill Shipley? He was one of my dearest friends at Berkeley when I
        was there, and Irode with
        > him up to Klamatth Falls and also visited his Maidu lady with him
        once. We had some good
        > times, and he is the "Shipali" to whom the large Tsolyani land grant
        is addressed.
        > Someone once told me the original still hangs on his office wall.
        (Original content snipped most reverently.)

        So now we know! Another one of my long-standing questions is answered.