SPAM

  • CarlBrodt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2004
      One of the side "benefits" of having your email posted on a website like
      www.Tekumel.com is that occasionally a SPAMer will decide to use it when they send
      out his various missives. During the last few weeks or so, I've been getting
      evidence (like bounced emails) which suggest that that is occuring under my
      name on a very limited but recurring basis.

      I don't know what product or website is being advertised in this SPAM, but
      unless you see that the email from me involves Tekumel in some way (I don't
      always place Tekumel in the subject, but I usually do), you can pretty well figure
      that someone else sent it out under my name. I just want to make sure you
      all know that we haven't picked up a second set of products on the side and
      become, say, Tita's House of Games and Porn.

      Carl

    • Universal Head
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2004
        Might want to think about it Carl. More money to be made that way.
        ;) Peter

        On 03/05/2004, at 4:17 PM, CarlBrodt@... wrote:

        > I just want to make sure you
        > all know that we haven't picked up a second set of products on the
        > side and
        > become, say, Tita's House of Games and Porn.

        Universal Head
        Design That Works.

        7/43 Bridge Rd Stanmore
        NSW 2048 Australia
        T (+612) 9517 1466
        F (+612) 9565 4747
        E head@...
        W www.universalhead.com

      • Scott Kellogg
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2004
          The last movie you'll ever watch!

          /Scott

          On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 16:46, Scott wrote:
          > Hrihayal's 32nd Unspeakable Act, now in streaming video!!!11oneone
          >

          > Sorry, I couldn't resist.
          >

          > --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Universal Head <head@u...> wrote:
          > > I just want to make sure you
          > > all know that we haven't picked up a second set of products on the
          > > side and
          > > become, say, Tita's House of Games and Porn.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2004
            Hrihayal's 32nd Unspeakable Act, now in streaming video!!!11oneone

            Sorry, I couldn't resist.

            --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Universal Head <head@u...> wrote:
            > I just want to make sure you
            > all know that we haven't picked up a second set of products on the
            > side and
            > become, say, Tita's House of Games and Porn.
          • Stephen Posey
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2004
              CarlBrodt@... wrote:
              > One of the side "benefits" of having your email posted on a website like
              > www.Tekumel.com is that occasionally a SPAMer will decide to use it when they send
              > out his various missives. During the last few weeks or so, I've been getting
              > evidence (like bounced emails) which suggest that that is occuring under my
              > name on a very limited but recurring basis.
              >
              > I don't know what product or website is being advertised in this SPAM, but
              > unless you see that the email from me involves Tekumel in some way (I don't
              > always place Tekumel in the subject, but I usually do), you can pretty well figure
              > that someone else sent it out under my name. I just want to make sure you
              > all know that we haven't picked up a second set of products on the side and
              > become, say, Tita's House of Games and Porn.

              You should also be aware that certain viruses propagate by masking their
              origins by stealing legitimate Email addresses to use as source addresses.

              This sometimes leads to your receiving Emails from filtering software
              that has received virus Emails ostensibly from you.

              This also sometimes results in the virus laden attachment being bounced
              back, so don't open it!

              Stephen Posey
              slposey@...
            • George Hammond
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                On May 3, 2004, at 2:17 AM, CarlBrodt@... wrote:

                > One of the side "benefits" of having your email posted on a website
                > like
                > www.Tekumel.com is that occasionally a SPAMer will decide to use it
                > when they send
                > out his various missives.

                There are ways to set up a web page so that site visitors can email
                you, but the programs that harvest addresses for spammers can't collect
                your address. At the very least, you could put your address on the page
                in such a way that only a person could use it. For example, something
                like "To email Tita's House of Games, send your message to
                CarlBrodt@... (delete the 999 before sending)." This is less
                convenient for site visitors, but protects you from address harvesting.
                If you want people to be able to just click a link to email you, I
                think that can be set up in a more protected way too, but I don't know
                the best way to do it. I know we have some experts on internet security
                on this list, so maybe one of them can suggest a method or source of
                information.

                regards,

                George
              • JosephCovert@juno.com
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                  Games? Porn?

                  Hey, what's going on? Carl, did you get a copy of my old supplement
                  "Hackhmar After Dark"? That is not meant for publication, dagnabbit!

                  And I still defend my stance that hobbi, er, halfling males, get a base
                  +6" to their roll. How else do you explain the fact that they have no
                  interest in adventuring?

                  Joe 777
                  Dirty, dirty old man.

                  On Mon, 3 May 2004 16:29:38 +1000 Universal Head <head@...>
                  writes:
                  > Might want to think about it Carl. More money to be made that way.
                  > ;) Peter
                  >

                  > On 03/05/2004, at 4:17 PM, CarlBrodt@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > I just want to make sure you
                  > > all know that we haven't picked up a second set of products on the
                  >
                  > > side and
                  > > become, say, Tita's House of Games and Porn.
                  >
                  > Universal Head�
                  > Design That Works.
                  >
                  > 7/43 Bridge Rd Stanmore
                  > NSW 2048 Australia
                  > T (+612) 9517 1466
                  > F (+612) 9565 4747
                  > E head@...
                  > W www.universalhead.com

                • mtbdmf
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                    Does this mean I won't be getting my shipment of penis
                    enlargement pills?

                    --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, CarlBrodt@a... wrote:
                    > One of the side "benefits" of having your email posted on a
                    website like
                    > www.Tekumel.com is that occasionally a SPAMer will decide to
                    use it when they send
                    > out his various missives. During the last few weeks or so, I've
                    been getting
                    > evidence (like bounced emails) which suggest that that is
                    occuring under my
                    > name on a very limited but recurring basis.
                    >
                    > I don't know what product or website is being advertised in this
                    SPAM, but
                    > unless you see that the email from me involves Tekumel in
                    some way (I don't
                    > always place Tekumel in the subject, but I usually do), you can
                    pretty well figure
                    > that someone else sent it out under my name. I just want to
                    make sure you
                    > all know that we haven't picked up a second set of products on
                    the side and
                    > become, say, Tita's House of Games and Porn.
                    >
                    > Carl

                  • Stephen Posey
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2004
                      mtbdmf wrote:

                      > Does this mean I won't be getting my shipment of penis
                      > enlargement pills?

                      <ob tekumel>
                      You fool! don't you realize those are a Hlüss plot to distribute Zu'ur
                      to the masses?
                      </ob tekumel>

                      Stephen Posey
                      slposey@...
                    • mtbdmf
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 4, 2004
                        Mmmmmmmm.....Zu'ur.

                        > <ob tekumel>
                        > You fool! don't you realize those are a Hlüss plot to distribute
                        Zu'ur
                        > to the masses?
                        > </ob tekumel>
                        >
                        > Stephen Posey
                        > slposey@c...
                      • John Nowicki
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 4, 2004
                          No time to write the code, but on the high level you should use a web form
                          for mail (most site hosts have a simple CGI for this included). If that
                          isn't possible, use Javascript to create the e-mail addy for the mailto.
                          Assign everything to the right of the "@" to one variable, everything to the
                          left to another. Then to a function that concatenates the two variables and
                          the "@" into another variable. Then place that variable into the mailto link
                          where the e-mail goes.

                          > One of the side "benefits" of having your email posted on a website
                          > like
                          > www.Tekumel.com is that occasionally a SPAMer will decide to use it
                          > when they send
                          > out his various missives.

                          There are ways to set up a web page so that site visitors can email
                          you, but the programs that harvest addresses for spammers can't collect
                          your address. At the very least, you could put your address on the page
                          in such a way that only a person could use it. For example, something
                          like "To email Tita's House of Games, send your message to
                          CarlBrodt@... (delete the 999 before sending)." This is less
                          convenient for site visitors, but protects you from address harvesting.
                          If you want people to be able to just click a link to email you, I
                          think that can be set up in a more protected way too, but I don't know
                          the best way to do it. I know we have some experts on internet security
                          on this list, so maybe one of them can suggest a method or source of
                          information.

                          regards,

                          George

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • Kevin Fisher
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 4, 2004
                            Oh hey, that cleared that right up. I'll just hop right on that.
                            HEY! My "mailto" box became a "mailfew" box with a caddy, now what??
                            Help Mr. Wizard!

                            Don't pay any attention to him, he's insane.
                            No he's not.
                            Yes he is.
                            No he's.....

                            It's all for fun