Jackson buys rights to Tekumel

  • albatross@albatross.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
      Steve Jackson of GURPS fame will doubtless be astonished to learn
      that director Peter Jackson of "Lord of the Rings" fame has purchased
      the rights to produce "Man of Gold" as a full-length motion picture.

      In an agreement signed earlier today in New Zealand, Jackson agreed
      to begin production of Dr. M. A. R. Barker's "Man of Gold" in 2007,
      based on a screenplay written by Edwin Voskamp and Patrick Brady
      under the pen name "Joe Saul."

      "I'm taking a bit of a breather with 'King Kong,'" Jackson said, "and
      expect to be ready to take on another epic."

      The film is expected to feature Elijah Wood as Harsan, Andy Serkis as
      Prince Dhich'une, and New Zealand native Lucy Lawless as Mirure the
      Bodyguard.

      "Really, it's the only way to top 'The Lord of the Rings,'" Jackson
      added.
    • Fred Kiesche
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
        Greetings:

        La! If it were only so...

        Actually, if it were only so, he's one of the few
        directors I'd trust to get it right!!!

        Good one. Actually my first thought was "Cool! Steve
        Jackson bought the rights to publish EPT? Great!"

        =====
        Fred Kiesche (FPK3)

        My books are water; those of great geniuses are wine. Everybody drinks water.

        --Mark Twain, "Notebook"

        Science, science fiction and more. See "The Eternal Golden Braid" at: <http://theeternalgoldenbraid.blogspot.com/>

      • Peter Huston
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004

          > In an agreement signed earlier today in New Zealand, Jackson agreed
          > to begin production of Dr. M. A. R. Barker's "Man of Gold" in 2007,
          > based on a screenplay written by Edwin Voskamp and Patrick Brady
          > under the pen name "Joe Saul."

          This was current as of last week. However, the latest news is that
          production has been postponed until April 2008, so that it will coincide
          with the release of GOO Tekumel Diceless version.
        • Bill Cumberland
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
            This is great news now if GOO doesn't announce that the game will be delayed
            until the movie we sill all be doing well.

            In all seriousness Congratulations Professor Barker

            Steve Jackson of GURPS fame will doubtless be astonished to learn
            that director Peter Jackson of "Lord of the Rings" fame has purchased
            the rights to produce "Man of Gold" as a full-length motion picture.

            In an agreement signed earlier today in New Zealand, Jackson agreed
            to begin production of Dr. M. A. R. Barker's "Man of Gold" in 2007,
            based on a screenplay written by Edwin Voskamp and Patrick Brady
            under the pen name "Joe Saul."

            "I'm taking a bit of a breather with 'King Kong,'" Jackson said, "and
            expect to be ready to take on another epic."

            The film is expected to feature Elijah Wood as Harsan, Andy Serkis as
            Prince Dhich'une, and New Zealand native Lucy Lawless as Mirure the
            Bodyguard.

            "Really, it's the only way to top 'The Lord of the Rings,'" Jackson
            added.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Lord Fu Shi'i
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
              Do not raise your hope too high Bill. Options and script development
              can last forever without ever making a film. The rights to the Last
              Unicorn and Narnia were optioned forever before scripts were even
              close to completion. A writer friend of mine has had a short story
              optioned now for over 30 years. The studio has payed many many many
              more times in option payments than if they had bought the rights
              right out.

              And it should be known that Man of Gold is actually in Peter
              Jackson's queue BEHIND Flamesong, The Musical. I am retained as a
              consultant and hope to bring forth the aspects overlooked in the film
              that show Lord Fu Shi'i as the tragi-comedic hero that he is, trapped
              in a World He Never Made. (tm)

              --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cumberland" <wwc3@s...> wrote:
              > This is great news now if GOO doesn't announce that the game will
              be delayed
              > until the movie we sill all be doing well.
              >
              > In all seriousness Congratulations Professor Barker
            • megagrinch
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                ALl right, I know I am the new guy in the group (hello by the way!),
                but surely I am not the only one who noticed the conjuction of this
                piece with the day of the year...

                If it is true indeed, then congratulations to Profesor Barker and
                everyone involved. If instead it is the 1 April 2004 joke-du-jour,
                ahh well, it was a good thought while it lasted...:)

                Sam
              • Joseph M. Saul
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                  I'm excited about the casting of Paul Reubens as Arjai, though.

                  -- Joe

                  On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Lord Fu Shi'i wrote:

                  > Do not raise your hope too high Bill. Options and script development
                  > can last forever without ever making a film. The rights to the Last
                  > Unicorn and Narnia were optioned forever before scripts were even
                  > close to completion. A writer friend of mine has had a short story
                  > optioned now for over 30 years. The studio has payed many many many
                  > more times in option payments than if they had bought the rights
                  > right out.
                  >
                  > And it should be known that Man of Gold is actually in Peter
                  > Jackson's queue BEHIND Flamesong, The Musical. I am retained as a
                  > consultant and hope to bring forth the aspects overlooked in the film
                  > that show Lord Fu Shi'i as the tragi-comedic hero that he is, trapped
                  > in a World He Never Made. (tm)
                  >

                  > --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Cumberland" <wwc3@s...> wrote:
                  > > This is great news now if GOO doesn't announce that the game will
                  > be delayed
                  > > until the movie we sill all be doing well.
                  > >
                  > > In all seriousness Congratulations Professor Barker
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • pizzij
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                    --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "megagrinch" <MegaGrinch@y...> wrote:

                    > ALl right, I know I am the new guy in the group (hello by the
                    way!),

                    Hello New Guy.

                    I see you are in Pennsylvania. Might I ask where? There are a couple
                    of people on this list near philly, and Andy I believe is out by
                    Pittsburgh (Fenul indeed). Once in a GREAT while the Philly, MD, VA,
                    DC people get together...you would of course be welcome.

                    joe piz
                  • Lord Fu Shi'i
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
                      --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph M. Saul" <jmsaul@d...> wrote:

                      > I'm excited about the casting of Paul Reubens as Arjai, though.

                      Quite.

                      Some songs will be originals, but some will be liscenced.

                      Elvis' "Burning Love" has been selected, as has "Fever"

                      Which smitten swain gets to sing each to Lady Jai has yet to be
                      determined.

                      BURNING LOVE - Elvis Presley

                      Lord Vimuhla almighty,
                      I feel my temperature rising
                      Higher higher
                      It's burning through to my soul

                      Girl, girl, girl
                      You gonna set me on fire
                      My brain is flaming
                      I don't know which way to go

                      Your kisses lift me higher
                      Like the sweet song of a choir
                      You light my morning sky
                      With burning love

                      Ooh, ooh, ooh,
                      I feel my temperature rising
                      Help me, I'm flaming
                      I must be a hundred and nine
                      Burning, burning, burning
                      And nothing can cool me
                      I just might turn into smoke
                      But I feel fine

                      Cause your kisses lift me higher
                      Like a sweet song of a choir
                      And you light my morning sky
                      With burning love

                      It's coming closer
                      The flames are reaching my body
                      Please won't you help me
                      I feel like I'm slipping away
                      It's hard to breath
                      And my chest is a-heating

                      Lord Vimuhla almighty,
                      I'm burning a hole where I lay
                      Cause your kisses lift me higher
                      Like the sweet song of a choir
                      You light my morning sky
                      With burning love
                      With burning love
                      Ah, ah, burning love
                      I'm just a hunk, a hunk of burning love
                      Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love

                      And of course:

                      Never know how much I love you
                      Never know how much I care
                      When you put your arms around me
                      I get a fever that's so hard to bear

                      You give me fever when you kiss me
                      Fever when you hold me tight
                      Fever in the morning
                      Fever all through the night.

                      <snip>

                      Fever if you live and learn
                      Fever till you sizzle
                      What a lovely way to burn
                      What a lovely way to burn
                      What a lovely way to burn
                    • megagrinch
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
                        > Hello New Guy.
                        >
                        > I see you are in Pennsylvania. Might I ask where? There are a
                        couple
                        > of people on this list near philly, and Andy I believe is out by
                        > Pittsburgh (Fenul indeed). Once in a GREAT while the Philly, MD,
                        VA,
                        > DC people get together...you would of course be welcome.
                        >
                        > joe piz

                        Hi Joe! I am from the Scranton neck of the woods. There are a few
                        of us up here who got into things Tekumel in the 70's in college
                        gaming groups. We've aged, of course, by now (think balding/greying
                        biker in a world gone yuppie for me, and some even less complimentary
                        things for some of the others) but we've still retained the love for
                        it that we had back then, even though for the most part we don't game
                        it any more. I can't speak for the rest of us, but I know I'd love
                        to join in a local-ish get together. Thank you for the welcome too.

                        Sam
                      • pizzij
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
                          --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "megagrinch" <MegaGrinch@y...> wrote:
                          > Hi Joe! I am from the Scranton neck of the woods.

                          ah...thats about 2.5 hours away, if I recall from when I was skiing
                          in these hills we call mountians out east here. My roomate in college
                          was from scranton...I learned his dilect pretty quickly. ;-) Jeet yet?

                          \We've aged, of course, by now (think balding/greying
                          > biker in a world gone yuppie for me, and some even less
                          complimentary
                          > things for some of the others)

                          ;-) i know the feeling...

                          \I can't speak for the rest of us, but I know I'd love
                          > to join in a local-ish get together.

                          I will certainly let you know if any of the slackers out this way get
                          their acts together. Maybe a weekend of daytime skiing and evening
                          games and a rented cabin some time. ;-) I really want to see Jim
                          Fetzner on skis.
                        • little_hes
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 4, 2004
                            To: Peter hiJackson
                            We do hereby preemptively boycott the possible future release
                            of "Tékumel: Empire of the Petal Throne", as this portrayal threatens
                            to stoke the embers of anti-undeadism, and could single-handedly undo
                            the hard-won but still tenuous integration of human-undead cultures.
                            The Sárku Institute for Undead Advancement struggles to promote
                            public awareness of the discrimination that the Previously Deceased
                            face every day, and this unwarranted storyline reinforces the
                            stereotype of great leaders such as Emperor Tontiken and our own
                            venerated Prince Dhich'uné as merciless, homicidal Aspects of the
                            Worm God. We believe this stereotype must be overcome, not
                            encouraged. We must put aside our differences, Aspects of the Worm
                            God included, if our societies are ever to peacefully co-exist.
                            Media savvy secret temple organizations such as "The Pure Light
                            Society" should endeavor to reflect the efforts made by the
                            Previously Deceased to win the trust and friendship of our future
                            undead neighbors, and recognize the vast inroads made by working in
                            tandem with our presently undeceased counterparts.
                            Please visit us in the tsuru'úm, where we believe that all people,
                            living and nonliving, deserve a second chance. Our boycott of this
                            project is but another step on the long road to peaceful co-
                            habitation.

                            Roqáv hiVórudu
                            Brotherhood of the Amber Coiling
                            "I will feast upon your bones and revel in the deaths of all your
                            descendents who will never be. ...Did I say that out loud?"

                            --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, albatross@a... wrote:
                            > Steve Jackson of GURPS fame will doubtless be astonished to learn
                            > that director Peter Jackson of "Lord of the Rings" fame has
                            purchased
                            > the rights to produce "Man of Gold" as a full-length motion picture.
                            >
                            > In an agreement signed earlier today in New Zealand, Jackson agreed
                            > to begin production of Dr. M. A. R. Barker's "Man of Gold" in 2007,
                            > based on a screenplay written by Edwin Voskamp and Patrick Brady
                            > under the pen name "Joe Saul."
                            >
                            > "I'm taking a bit of a breather with 'King Kong,'" Jackson
                            said, "and expect to be ready to take on another epic."

                            > The film is expected to feature Elijah Wood as Harsan, Andy Serkis
                            as Prince Dhich'une, and New Zealand native Lucy Lawless as Mirure
                            the Bodyguard.

                            > "Really, it's the only way to top 'The Lord of the Rings,'" Jackson
                            > added.
                          • Peter Huston
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 4, 2004
                              I've heard that in response to these sorts of objections, the producers
                              had to remove a scene in which Peggy Lee (yes, the late, great Peggy Lee)
                              was to sing the song "Is that all there is?" from the film. Personally I
                              think it's all unwarranted and oppose censorship in all forms, even if
                              Mu'ugalavyani-Americans have labelled the proposed screenplay as
                              "insensitive." At least it's avoided the sort of outcry that preceded the
                              recent "The passion of Ksarul."

                              --
                              "I'm always ready to do anything, . . but not in a bad way."

                              --wisdom on how to approach life as taught to me
                              by the developmentally challenged woman at the gym.--

                              "No matter where you go, there you are!"

                              --Buckaroo Banzai
                            • aglorince
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 7, 2004
                                --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "pizzij" <pizzij@y...> wrote:
                                > --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "megagrinch" <MegaGrinch@y...>
                                wrote:

                                > > ALl right, I know I am the new guy in the group (hello by the
                                > way!),
                                >
                                > Hello New Guy.
                                >
                                > I see you are in Pennsylvania. Might I ask where? There are a
                                couple
                                > of people on this list near philly, and Andy I believe is out by
                                > Pittsburgh (Fenul indeed). Once in a GREAT while the Philly, MD,
                                VA,
                                > DC people get together...you would of course be welcome.
                                >
                                > joe piz
                                another represenative from the key stone state is welcome. are there
                                any others out there?

                                by the way joe i accept pittsburgh as being the representation of
                                fenul on this plane. one of the criteria for selecting fenul as my
                                base was pittsburgh being about the same distance from Minneapolis as
                                fenul is from bey su. where would that put you! :)

                                andy lorince
                                yuninash hi'ancholbel
                                governor of fenul.
                              • pizzij
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 7, 2004
                                  --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "aglorince" <alorince@y...> wrote:
                                  > another represenative from the key stone state is welcome. are
                                  there
                                  > any others out there?

                                  Mari is also here, as is Laura who is not on the list. There is
                                  another fellow whose name I can're recall just now.

                                  > by the way joe i accept pittsburgh as being the representation of
                                  > fenul on this plane. one of the criteria for selecting fenul as my
                                  > base was pittsburgh being about the same distance from Minneapolis
                                  as
                                  > fenul is from bey su. where would that put you! :)

                                  You'd have to check the map and head another 600 miles/XXX tsán
                                  east...dunno...Tsatsayagga? Tsa'avatulgu? Parts of south philly might
                                  pass for Salarvya...