Everchanging Book of Names

  • Dermot Bolton
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2004
      A friend of mine just pointed me in the direction of one of the most
      useful creative RPG tools I've seen for quite a while. The
      Everchanging Book of Names (aka EBoN) has been around for a while
      (1997) and apparently and has a large user base. Also it is shareware
      with a very low registration fee. There are dozens of databases for
      real world and fantasy names and links to all sort of 'fantasy'
      resources and language / name sites too.

      It can be downloaded (windows only) here:
      http://ebon.pyorre.net/

      Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a Tekumel database (yet). So
      obviously we need to create one and get it online. The help files in
      the program give instructions on how to create a database file. The
      header of each file requires a technical/linguist to set up, but the
      rest is simply a list of names in alphabetical order. I know that some
      hard working souls have worked on name databases before (Brett?), but
      this is the bees knees in name software. Although I'm sure the
      collected data can be re-formatted easily.

      So I'm quite happy to work on getting such a database together
      provided someone can help explain how the header bit works and someone
      provides a list of names. Any tech heads out there want to help? I
      envisage three lists to start with: male, female, lineage (all
      Tsolyani).

      Dermot
    • George Hammond
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2004
        --On Tuesday, March 2, 2004 12:01 PM +0000 Dermot Bolton
        <d.bolton@...> wrote:

        > I know that some
        > hard working souls have worked on name databases before (Brett?), but
        > this is the bees knees in name software. Although I'm sure the
        > collected data can be re-formatted easily.
        >
        > So I'm quite happy to work on getting such a database together
        > provided someone can help explain how the header bit works and someone
        > provides a list of names. Any tech heads out there want to help? I
        > envisage three lists to start with: male, female, lineage (all
        > Tsolyani).

        You may be thinking of Malcolm Heath, who set up a Tekumel Names Project
        here:

        <http://www.indeterminate.net/~malcolm/tekumel/names_project/index.html>

        Malcolm isn't reading this list at present, but you can reach him directly
        through an email address on the page above.

        Cheers,

        George
      • Dermot Bolton
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
          Thanks George,

          I've managed to get my head around the database files (not that
          difficult after all) and the EBoN author has been helping too. Early
          results are promising. I've also contacted Malcom to see how he can
          contribute.

          Hopefully I should be able to annnounce some data files available for
          Tekumel names very soon. Watch this space.

          Dermot

          --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, George Hammond <geestar3@u...> wrote:

          > --On Tuesday, March 2, 2004 12:01 PM +0000 Dermot Bolton
          > <d.bolton@v...> wrote:
          >
          > > I know that some
          > > hard working souls have worked on name databases before (Brett?),
          but
          > > this is the bees knees in name software. Although I'm sure the
          > > collected data can be re-formatted easily.
          > >
          > > So I'm quite happy to work on getting such a database together
          > > provided someone can help explain how the header bit works and
          someone
          > > provides a list of names. Any tech heads out there want to help? I
          > > envisage three lists to start with: male, female, lineage (all
          > > Tsolyani).
          >

          > You may be thinking of Malcolm Heath, who set up a Tekumel Names
          Project
          > here:
          >
          > <http://www.indeterminate.net/~malcolm/tekumel/n
          ames_project/index.html>

          > Malcolm isn't reading this list at present, but you can reach him
          directly
          > through an email address on the page above.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > George
        • barke002
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
            --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "Dermot Bolton" <d.bolton@v...> wrote:
            > Thanks George,
            >
            > I've managed to get my head around the database files (not that
            > difficult after all) and the EBoN author has been helping too. Early
            > results are promising. I've also contacted Malcom to see how he can
            > contribute.
            >
            > Hopefully I should be able to annnounce some data files available for
            > Tekumel names very soon. Watch this space.
            >
            > Dermot
            > >
            > > > I know that some
            > > > hard working souls have worked on name databases before (Brett?),
            > but
            > > > this is the bees knees in name software. Although I'm sure the
            > > > collected data can be re-formatted easily.
            > > >
            > > > So I'm quite happy to work on getting such a database together
            > > > provided someone can help explain how the header bit works and
            > someone
            > > > provides a list of names. Any tech heads out there want to help? I
            > > > envisage three lists to start with: male, female, lineage (all
            > > > Tsolyani).
            > >

            > > You may be thinking of Malcolm Heath, who set up a Tekumel Names
            > Project
            > > here:
            > >
            > > Malcolm isn't reading this list at present, but you can reach him
            > directly
            > > through an email address on the page above.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > George

            Colleagues,

            In this discussion of name-lists, everybody seems to be forgetting (or
            omitting) the list of 1,000+ Tekumelani characters I drew up myself.
            This list was compiled from my player and non-player cards, and it
            included each entry's personal name, lineage, clan, occupation,
            city/country of residence, religious sect, and notes concerning past
            history, present activities, wives/husbands, children, and many other
            factors, wherever we had ascertained these facts. This is not quite
            the sort of list that is wanted here, but it does have most of the
            relevant data.

            I have already allowed personal use of this list (though it is
            copyrighted) and have no objection to further non-profit uses of it
            and its materials. Indeed, I sent copies already to Bob Alberti,
            George (didn't I, George?), possibly Malcolm, etc. I do not recall
            exactly who got it. Did I never send a copy to this list? It was
            created for"Filemaker," using a Macintosh,Operating System 9, but I
            imagine somebody out there can devise a PC version and post it to our
            "Files" section here.

            Whoever needs my list has only to ask -- though I'd prefer to send a
            single copy to one person and have him/her draw up copies, translate
            it into PC-speak, etc. I don't have time to do all this myself.

            Please let me know if it would be of any use to you...

            Phil Barker
          • George Hammond
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
              --On Wednesday, March 3, 2004 6:17 PM +0000 barke002
              <barke002@...> wrote:

              > Colleagues,
              >
              > In this discussion of name-lists, everybody seems to be forgetting (or
              > omitting) the list of 1,000+ Tekumelani characters I drew up myself.
              > This list was compiled from my player and non-player cards, and it
              > included each entry's personal name, lineage, clan, occupation,
              > city/country of residence, religious sect, and notes concerning past
              > history, present activities, wives/husbands, children, and many other
              > factors, wherever we had ascertained these facts. This is not quite
              > the sort of list that is wanted here, but it does have most of the
              > relevant data.
              >
              > I have already allowed personal use of this list (though it is
              > copyrighted) and have no objection to further non-profit uses of it
              > and its materials. Indeed, I sent copies already to Bob Alberti,
              > George (didn't I, George?), possibly Malcolm, etc. I do not recall
              > exactly who got it. Did I never send a copy to this list? It was
              > created for"Filemaker," using a Macintosh,Operating System 9, but I
              > imagine somebody out there can devise a PC version and post it to our
              > "Files" section here.
              >
              > Whoever needs my list has only to ask -- though I'd prefer to send a
              > single copy to one person and have him/her draw up copies, translate
              > it into PC-speak, etc. I don't have time to do all this myself.
              >
              > Please let me know if it would be of any use to you...
              >
              > Phil Barker

              Dear Phil (and all),

              You did indeed share a copy with me, many thanks. I've kept quiet about it
              because I wasn't sure if you wanted to share it more generally. I'm
              thrilled that you are making it publicly available! Ten thousand thanks!!
              It's a great resource, and contains many hints of unexplored corners of
              Tekumel.

              I know that Bob Alberti and Keith Dalluhn have put together a "cleaned up"
              (i.e. typos removed) version in Microsoft Excel. Both Filemaker Pro and
              Excel now can be run on Windows pc's as well as Macs, but Excel is more
              widely used, so their version might be the right one to distribute. They
              could just upload their file to the group Files archive I suppose, but I'll
              leave it to you and them to coordinate.

              I suggest that we pause for a minute and let Bob or Keith respond, before
              deluging them or the Professor with requests.

              With grateful regards,

              George
            • JosephCovert@juno.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2004
                I'd be glad to turn it into a form that will work for the PC users. I have the coolest toys at work.

                Joe 777 of ?
              • Alasiri
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 8, 2004
                  I would gladly convert the file into PDF format so that it is
                  accesable by both Mac An PC users, where can I get the original?