Re: Re: I've been reading

  • Fred Kiesche
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2003
      Greetings:

      Darn good advice and a darn good opening scenario!
      Thanks for the effort! This one is a keeper!

      =====
      Fred Kiesche (FPK3)

      "As for that downloading stuff, I think those guys who seriously consider that stuff are crazier than a sackful of rats."
      --William Gibson

      The world's slowest web log!!!! See: <http://ars.userfriendly.org/users/diary.cgi?id=FredKiesche>

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Bob Alberti
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2003
        --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Fred Kiesche <godel2escher2bach@y...>
        wrote:
        > Darn good advice and a darn good opening scenario!
        > Thanks for the effort! This one is a keeper!

        Sorry to chime in so late, but I'll be brief since I'm working: this
        is very similar to how the Valley of Kashkomai developed. After
        several years of running mega-important serious buttkicking
        characters, wrestling with the Goddess and snarling at Dhich'une, we
        decided to run a "low level" campaign, a really meat-and-potatoes
        game.

        So we were dispatched to Kashkomai, where we found an almost
        completely undeveloped, unpopulated valley. We started with sweeping
        out the single tower remaining at its east end, and importing slaves
        from Sokatis.

        Years later it's a nicely developed agricultural valley, still
        growing and with lots of open space (homesteaders welcome!), but
        moderately well established.

        There's nothing terribly complicated about all this. You don't have
        to be terribly conversant in the Gods of the Palaces of the Realm (in
        fact not all the temples are represented and the tax officials only
        appear every few years).

        Along the way there was plenty of fun stuff to run into: a buried
        magical pattern unearthed by peasant farmers, leading to who-knows-
        where (we ended up covering it with logs and burying it again). A
        haunted temple of Wuru riddles with nexus points and demons. A
        basement leading to impossible caverns. A mystical house that
        vanishes and reappears. A lonely, haunted hilltop fortification.
        Plagues of Ssu, Salarvyani, and tax officials. Even basketball-sized
        epeng.

        But all those things appeared one at a time (well, usually), and
        while not easy to deal with from the character's point of view, the
        situations they present would not confound any experienced gamer.

        So start small. A single clan. A single clanhouse. A rural
        village. A fishing boat. You don't have to start with a ball at the
        Governor's Palace in Jakalla. You can start with a pair of star-
        crossed lovers in a rural village, forbidden to wed by their
        respective clanmasters... Or a poor fishing clan trying to survive a
        bad season... Or a group of refugees fleeing the invasion of
        Sunraya...