Re: The neighboring planets

  • Eyloa Tlashte
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Victor Jason Raymond <vraymond@i...>
      wrote:
      > At 08:07 PM 3/31/2003 +0000, teknorose wrote:
      > >And then there is the planetary weather station-- was it the
      Wizard
      > >Eyloa who managed to locate it?
      >
      > Well, there's more than one. There is one by his house - the High
      House of
      > the Tlashte Heights, and then there are machines elsewhere, as well.

      I carry greetings on behalf of the master of the High House. He
      apologises for not answering in person but many tasks have called
      upon his time and attention. Unpleasant new neighbors rank somewhat
      high upon that list.

      He wishes the following correction to be noted. The wizard Eloya (his
      preferred spelling) "did not find but inherited, not the
      planetary...weather station (gads the indignity) but the planetary
      defense station. I'm rather proud of the old girl and I want to make
      sure she is treated with the respect her age should command."

      My duty discharged, I return to my other tasks.

      Best Regards. et cetera, et cetera.
    • Victor Jason Raymond
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2003
        At 02:39 PM 4/1/2003 +0000, Eyloa Tlashte wrote:
        >--- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, Victor Jason Raymond <vraymond@i...>
        >wrote:
        > > At 08:07 PM 3/31/2003 +0000, teknorose wrote:
        > > >And then there is the planetary weather station-- was it the
        >Wizard
        > > >Eyloa who managed to locate it?
        > >
        > > Well, there's more than one. There is one by his house - the High
        >House of
        > > the Tlashte Heights, and then there are machines elsewhere, as well.
        >

        >I carry greetings on behalf of the master of the High House. He
        >apologises for not answering in person but many tasks have called
        >upon his time and attention. Unpleasant new neighbors rank somewhat
        >high upon that list.
        >
        >He wishes the following correction to be noted. The wizard Eloya (his
        >preferred spelling) "did not find but inherited, not the
        >planetary...weather station (gads the indignity) but the planetary
        >defense station. I'm rather proud of the old girl and I want to make
        >sure she is treated with the respect her age should command."

        Weather station, planetary defense station...the difference is...? :):):)

        >My duty discharged, I return to my other tasks.

        Many thanks. Been awhile since I've been by to visit, and I always let
        Sanjesh hiKirisaya (that peerless chap) "fiddle with" (um, I mean, "fix")
        that particular bit of equipment.

        >Best Regards. et cetera, et cetera.

        Victor

        Victor Raymond, M.S. / vraymond@...
        ISU Sociology Department

      • Edward Franks
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2003
          On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 10:26 PM, Victor Jason Raymond wrote:

          > At 08:41 PM 3/31/2003 -0500, John Nowicki wrote:
          >
          >> The "other planets" thread got me thinking (a rarity, so I must take
          >> advantage of my minimal wattage while I can) about two things...
          >>
          >> 1. Have any of the Professor's group managed to travel outside the
          >> pocket dimension (not to another planar variant, but actually back to
          >> "normal space")?
          >
          > Yes. There was one nasty jaunt that took us to Mexico in about 1914.

          Ouch! That would seem to be a one-way trip since the skin of reality
          is supposed be thicker here than in Tekumel. How did you get back and
          how the heck did you get involved in going there in the first place?
          Rub the fur of a major demon the wrong way? :-D

          --

          Edward Franks
        • Victor Jason Raymond
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2003
            At 02:40 AM 4/1/03 -0500, John Nowicki wrote:
            >At 08:41 PM 3/31/2003 -0500, John Nowicki wrote:
            >
            > >The "other planets" thread got me thinking (a rarity, so I must take
            > >advantage of my minimal wattage while I can) about two things...
            > >
            > >1. Have any of the Professor's group managed to travel outside the
            > >pocket dimension (not to another planar variant, but actually back to
            > >"normal space")?
            >
            >"Yes. There was one nasty jaunt that took us to Mexico in about 1914."
            >
            >Ah, are you allowed to elaborate?

            Not much to say. We ended up dealing with local police who had no idea of
            what to do except lock us up. We escaped as soon as well could, which
            involved straining to find a nexus point and a LONG journey back across the
            planes, IIRC.

            > >Or for that matter, has anyone gotten in?
            >
            >"Pretty sure the answer is at least maybe."
            >
            >(Drumsting)

            We aren't sure of the exact origin of the Silversuits, for example. It is
            _possible_, I suppose, but we simply have not had any major contacts over
            all the millennia from Outside.

            > >After all,
            > >time may flow very differently,
            >Yep.
            > >and I can see a rescue/recon team making
            > >it in to discover a 60,000 year changed Tekumel, only to be captured
            > >and wiped the Hokun or the like. (I actually have some suspicions this
            > >concept may play a part in the cosmology)
            >Quite possibly.
            > >2. Are there any "modern ancients"? By which I mean folks who actually
            > >are from the Latter Times,
            >
            >"Think so. Ask at the College."
            >
            >Okay. Now given the College is only represented by folks here...I'm
            >askin, I'm askin! ;)

            Hmmm. John, in _all_ of the time I've had contact with the College,
            nobody's stepped up and said, "well, I happily recall what the last
            Planetary Governor said when *this* sort of thing came up...." It's quite
            clear that some of the Undying Wizards date back to the far past, and we've
            occasionally had contact with people who were around at the time of the
            Empire of Llyan of Tsamra. But frankly, the VAST majority of such folk are
            quite cagey about their origins.

            > >or even (yikes) have living (or undead)
            > >memory of the normal space Tekumel? I'm thinking that at least one of
            > >the College would have this background (though that may be a very deep
            > >secret they keep).
            >
            >"The First Founder might be one of these."
            >
            >I'm askin, I'm askin!

            <shrug> I'm telling you as much as I know. The closest we've come in MY
            recent memory (and I freely admit I might have missed something over the
            past twenty years in Prof. Barker's basement), was the encounter in the
            Valley of Kashkomai with the Ssu from before the Time of Darkness who were
            apparently friendly (!) and who ended up "taking care" of the Salarvyani
            invasion for us. All eight of the Ssu mopped up a couple of thousand
            rag-beards. WERE they from before the Time of Darkness? Were they really
            Ssu? Both good questions, but assuming they were who they said they were,
            it was a rather strange encounter, as they arrived by nexus point and
            departed the same way.

            > >Along the same lines, given that Ksarul's Priesthood
            > >is known to make use of genetic vats, etc...that date to the original
            > >space faring society...do any of them actually know where they come
            > >from?
            >
            >"A careful re-read of Lords of Tsamra might reveal more on this issue."
            >
            >Must...remember...to...place...order...next...paycheck.
            >
            >House/Condo down payment fund? Who needs it?

            <grin>

            > >Secret temple knowledge given only to a very select few? (Again,
            > >cosmologically there are some intriguing parallels between freeing
            > >Ksarul, lord of knowledge from the Blue Room, and opening up the pocket
            >
            > >dimension to a universe of technical knowledge.)
            >
            >"Well, you just might have something there. :):):)"
            >
            >Am I warm, warmer, or hot?

            Depends on where you are, who's talking, and what they know. Suffice it to
            say that the number of people in present-day Tsolyanu who really know the
            origin of these things is but a handful, and what they know is not
            necessarily completely accurate. For example, I can say, "The Rosetta
            Stone is an ancient Egyptian tablet that allows us to read heirglyphics" -
            but aside from this, I can't recall much more than that - the knowledge of
            the origin of the vats may very well be on the same level.

            We've joked from time to time that the sonorously intoned syllables chanted
            in order to make aircars operate may very well be the equivalent of
            "....there are two exits from aboard this aircar, one on the left and one
            on the right. In the unlikely case of a sudden loss of cabin pressure, an
            Eye will pop out of the panel on the seat in front of you...."

            > >Yep, I'm back on the "great mysteries" kick.
            >
            >"Now if this were the Cthulhu Mythos, we'd have to have you make a SAN
            >check
            >about now...."
            >
            >No need, that's been gone a long time now.

            I can tell!

            Seriously, while I know this isn't much, I hope this helps.

            Victor

            >Victor
            >

            >Victor Raymond, M.S. / vraymond@...
            >ISU Sociology Department

            >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Victor J. Raymond, M.S.
            Department of Sociology, ISU
            vraymond@...

          • Eyloa Tlashte
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2, 2003
              wrote:

              > Weather station, planetary defense station...the difference
              is...? :):):)

              Good evening. I approached the Master of the House and proposed your
              question. He took a moment and gave one of _those_ looks and pointed
              out that there might be confusion between sundry devices, some
              weather control systems and THE planetary defense base/systems. He
              said something that (when translated) amounts to "the differences are
              readily obvious, but in case there remains some confusion: the latter
              blows things up and the former doesn't."

              Such is the wisdom and subtlety of great wizards.

              > Many thanks. Been awhile since I've been by to visit, and I always
              let
              > Sanjesh hiKirisaya (that peerless chap) "fiddle with" (um, I
              mean, "fix")
              > that particular bit of equipment.

              Ummm. Yes. His efforts have been noticed actually. The master states
              that last time this resulted in white-frozen-rain-bits falling on Old
              Cho'ochi and a deluge of rather perturbed etla-crabs on the Isle of
              Eyes.

              As a footnote, the staff of the house would request that this notable
              not wipe his oily hands upon the draperies, and that it is a sign of
              additional work for others when the fiddling results in extra parts
              lying about that "seem to have no purpose so I guess they aren't
              really that important to the systems."

              Best regards,

              The Staff of the High House.
              Pass the eye-spoon.
            • Bob Alberti
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3, 2003
                wrote:
                > > >1. Have any of the Professor's group managed to travel outside
                the pocket dimension (not to another planar variant, but actually
                back to "normal space")?

                > >"Yes. There was one nasty jaunt that took us to Mexico in about
                1914."

                > >Ah, are you allowed to elaborate?
                >
                > Not much to say. We ended up dealing with local police who had no
                idea of what to do except lock us up. We escaped as soon as well
                could, which involved straining to find a nexus point and a LONG
                journey back across the planes, IIRC.

                What mean "we", kemo sabe? I don't remember anyone else being along
                for the journey...

                My hazy recollection was that Arjai managed to get in front of an
                active interfogulator while in the midst of casting a Visitation
                spell, and ended up getting fired out of Tekumel's bethorm like a
                mortar. He wound up on this weirdass plane where his kilt made him
                rather conspicuous, and his inability to understand basic Spanish
                irritated the local constabulary.

                Locked in a prison cell, an attempt to use magic resulted in an
                explosion that mystified the guards when they came to inspect the
                noise: Arjai's remains were splattered on every surface. They
                finally assumed he'd been some kind of spy with a stick of dynamite
                hidden in his rectum (although their cavity search had been *ahem*
                fairly thorough), and it had exploded.

                Arjai was dead for quite a while, but he had a problem: his soul had
                nowhere to go. So it drifted around until it attracted the attention
                of a voudon priestess somewhere in the Caribbean. She used a spell
                to attach it to the bakte of a white bird, and then sacrificed the
                bird to someone called "Pere".

                Pere had absolutely no interest in the proffered soul, but knew
                someone who did, and exchanged it for unknown compensation with this
                powerful entity. This entity (which Arjai could only perceive very
                dimly, being dead and incorporeal) then reconsituted Arjai in a bakte
                very similar to his original one.

                He woke up in the hold of Waba the Undying Wizard. Arjai's lovely
                wife Chitlasha was bending over him with a mix of concern and anger
                on her features. When she saw that he was okay, she told him NEVER
                to DO THAT AGAIN, and stormed out.

                Arjai thanked Waba for rescuing his soul and reconstituting his body,
                to which Waba replied that he'd had nothing to do with it, and had
                only provided Chitlasha a place from which to work.
              • John Nowicki
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 3, 2003
                  There's an obvious question here...when Arjai asked for identification,
                  did they say..

                  "Badges? We don need no seeking badges!"

                  > > >1. Have any of the Professor's group managed to travel outside
                  the pocket dimension (not to another planar variant, but actually
                  back to "normal space")?

                  > >"Yes. There was one nasty jaunt that took us to Mexico in about
                  1914."

                  > >Ah, are you allowed to elaborate?
                  >
                  > Not much to say. We ended up dealing with local police who had no
                  idea of what to do except lock us up. We escaped as soon as well
                  could, which involved straining to find a nexus point and a LONG
                  journey back across the planes, IIRC.

                  What mean "we", kemo sabe? I don't remember anyone else being along
                  for the journey...

                  My hazy recollection was that Arjai managed to get in front of an
                  active interfogulator while in the midst of casting a Visitation
                  spell, and ended up getting fired out of Tekumel's bethorm like a
                  mortar. He wound up on this weirdass plane where his kilt made him
                  rather conspicuous, and his inability to understand basic Spanish
                  irritated the local constabulary.

                  Locked in a prison cell, an attempt to use magic resulted in an
                  explosion that mystified the guards when they came to inspect the
                  noise: Arjai's remains were splattered on every surface. They
                  finally assumed he'd been some kind of spy with a stick of dynamite
                  hidden in his rectum (although their cavity search had been *ahem*
                  fairly thorough), and it had exploded.

                  Arjai was dead for quite a while, but he had a problem: his soul had
                  nowhere to go. So it drifted around until it attracted the attention
                  of a voudon priestess somewhere in the Caribbean. She used a spell
                  to attach it to the bakte of a white bird, and then sacrificed the
                  bird to someone called "Pere".

                  Pere had absolutely no interest in the proffered soul, but knew
                  someone who did, and exchanged it for unknown compensation with this
                  powerful entity. This entity (which Arjai could only perceive very
                  dimly, being dead and incorporeal) then reconsituted Arjai in a bakte
                  very similar to his original one.

                  He woke up in the hold of Waba the Undying Wizard. Arjai's lovely
                  wife Chitlasha was bending over him with a mix of concern and anger
                  on her features. When she saw that he was okay, she told him NEVER
                  to DO THAT AGAIN, and stormed out.

                  Arjai thanked Waba for rescuing his soul and reconstituting his body,
                  to which Waba replied that he'd had nothing to do with it, and had
                  only provided Chitlasha a place from which to work.

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • arumel9
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2003
                    --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "John Nowicki" <aramis@s...> wrote:

                    > There's an obvious question here...when Arjai asked for
                    identification,
                    > did they say..
                    >
                    > "Badges? We don need no seeking badges!"

                    that would actually be "badges? We don need no stinking badges"
                  • Taskforce Leader
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2003
                      --- In tekumel@yahoogroups.com, "arumel9" <arumel@a...> wrote:
                      \
                      > that would actually be "badges? We don need no stinking badges"

                      I think you misunderstand. Said Federales were actually ancient Myans
                      seeking queztals and quetzal feathers. When offered the small
                      parakeet type birds they were offended and replied:

                      "Budgies? We don need no steeeek-ing budgies!"

                      In the UK it would have been "badgers".