Re: martial arts, weapons and steel

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
      A quick digression on forging copper, brass and bronze. The only way
      these materials are hardened is through cold forging. Too much cold
      forging makes the metal brittle, too little and the metal is like silly
      putty.

      Tekumel, the truly alien world with evolved humans. The iron situation
      in some cases has always struck me as a tad unrealistic. Humans need
      iron in their diet if they are to live. Obviously the people of Tekumel
      have no hemoglobin! Though you could never have the quantities needed
      for an industrial revolution, if something close to human lives in the
      environment, you would have access to bog iron and its equivalent. This
      material settles out naturally in bogs and can be mined just like
      regular iron deposits. You do need access to large amounts of charcoal
      to process any ore and it's possible that much of Tsolyanu is denuded of
      appropriate burnable foliage. For sake of the gaming environment, you
      can always assume that there's some magical bacteria the eats all such
      deposits but doesn't touch the iron need for human crops ;)

      Of course you could always wring an ounce or two out of a human body! Is
      that a nasty scenario? Look at that useless slave over there. He's a
      walking Kaitar!

      High tech alloys, we could be talking real magic from our point of view.
      These could be built up molecule by molecule and be self-healing as
      well! No primitive forge will handle this type of material!

      It's also possible that civilization is going through a period of
      doldrums, there were long periods in history where not much, if any
      progress was being made.

      Just a bizzare little rant touched off by lack of sleep!

      Jim Eckman
    • George Hammond
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2000
        --On Fri, Sep 1, 2000 6:02 AM -0700 James Eckman <fugu@...> wrote:

        > Tekumel, the truly alien world with evolved humans. The iron situation
        > in some cases has always struck me as a tad unrealistic. Humans need
        > iron in their diet if they are to live. Obviously the people of Tekumel
        > have no hemoglobin! Though you could never have the quantities needed
        > for an industrial revolution, if something close to human lives in the
        > environment, you would have access to bog iron and its equivalent. This
        > material settles out naturally in bogs and can be mined just like
        > regular iron deposits. You do need access to large amounts of charcoal
        > to process any ore and it's possible that much of Tsolyanu is denuded of
        > appropriate burnable foliage. For sake of the gaming environment, you
        > can always assume that there's some magical bacteria the eats all such
        > deposits but doesn't touch the iron need for human crops ;)

        ?? Iron is rare and precious on Tekumel, but nobody says it is entirely
        absent. There are a few iron mines scattered here and there, I think I
        recall rumors of some in the Chaigari protectorate, among others.

        > Of course you could always wring an ounce or two out of a human body! Is
        > that a nasty scenario? Look at that useless slave over there. He's a
        > walking Kaitar!

        Heh. Anyone read Jack Vance's "Blue Planet"? It's an interesting
        question: how much iron is contained in a pint of blood? (scurries off to
        find out...)

        George H.