U-Con

  • mtbdmf
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2002
      Does anyone know if there will be events using Gardasiyal rules
      at the next U-Con (or will all games be run by the new rules).
      Just curious. I've been playing the solo adventures and enjoying
      them immensely.
      MtbDM
    • Scott Kellogg
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 28 6:36 AM
        Hello -

        I've been GMing for 22 years, and studying Tekumel for 19. I want to run
        some games at U-Con. Who do I talk to?

        /Scott
      • calithena
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 28 6:52 AM
          Hey Scott!

          They'll post the pre-reg and game registration forms on the web
          fairly soon, if past patterns hold up. Joe Saul usually posts the
          relevant sites and information to this list when it's ready to go.

          I'll be delighted to meet you at UCon. Fellow Tekumel fans, last
          year's UCon was the best con experience I have ever had, bar none,
          and one of the best gaming experiences more generally. The Tekumel
          community is way cool and I hope all three hundred and ninety-odd of
          you make the trip!
        • Scott Kellogg
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 28 6:57 AM
            Excellent. Will there be pre-generated material for me to run? If not, I
            need to get crackin' on creating something.

            /Scott

            On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:52:33PM -0000, calithena wrote:
            > Hey Scott!
            >
            > They'll post the pre-reg and game registration forms on the web
            > fairly soon, if past patterns hold up. Joe Saul usually posts the
            > relevant sites and information to this list when it's ready to go.
            >
            > I'll be delighted to meet you at UCon. Fellow Tekumel fans, last
            > year's UCon was the best con experience I have ever had, bar none,
            > and one of the best gaming experiences more generally. The Tekumel
            > community is way cool and I hope all three hundred and ninety-odd of
            > you make the trip!

          • Edwin Voskamp
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 28 7:09 AM
              Scott Kellogg [mailto:scott@...] wrote:

              > Excellent. Will there be pre-generated material for me to
              > run? If not, I need to get crackin' on creating something.

              Scott,

              if you are interested, we have written a trilogy of scenarios
              that can be run independently. They are complete, ready-to-run
              scenarios, with pregenerated characters, non-player characters,
              handouts, etcetera.

              They use the new rules of the new game by Guardians of Order,
              but they include an abstract of the rules you need to run it
              (they fit on two sides of a single sheet of legal-size paper).

              Let me know if you are interested and I can provide you with an
              electronic copy for you to review.

              Cheers,
              --
              Edwin Voskamp
              mailto:edwin@...
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 28 7:13 AM
                > if you are interested, we have written a trilogy of scenarios
                > that can be run independently. They are complete, ready-to-run
                > scenarios, with pregenerated characters, non-player characters,
                > handouts, etcetera.

                Cool, I played in the first one on Friday at GenCon. I'd be happy to run
                them at Ucon. Preferably, I'd run them locally for practice.

                > Let me know if you are interested and I can provide you with an
                > electronic copy for you to review.

                Yes, please.

                /Scott
              • Joseph M. Saul
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 28 8:36 PM
                  On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Scott Kellogg wrote:

                  > I've been GMing for 22 years, and studying Tekumel for 19. I want to run
                  > some games at U-Con. Who do I talk to?

                  Glad to hear you're coming! We've got the event registration form up (our new
                  event reg system isn't live yet, but we have the old one running in the
                  meantime) at:

                  http://www.ucon-gaming.org/cgi-bin/ucongm_br.pl

                  Once you figure out what you want to run, fill out the form and you're good to
                  go. If a specific time slot is really important to you, you want to mention
                  that in the comments section because I move Tekumel Track events around as
                  needed to get a good balance of events in each slot (much more than we do with
                  other games).

                  -- Joe
                • arumel9
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 29 7:26 AM
                    But there are only 106 days until U-con.......so start planning now
                    for the best 3 days of Tekumel gaming....
                  • Krista Donnelly
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 25, 2006
                      Speaking of conventions, how close are you to Ann Arbor? There's a Tekumel Track every year in November at U-Con, the University of Michigan gaming convention. I, along with other denizens from the list, will be attending and running games.

                      Krista

                      >>> jkahane@... 04/24/06 05:35PM >>>
                      Hullo, Krista,

                      In a message of April 21st, 2006, you wrote,

                      > Check the Misc folder in the files section - the listing is posted there.

                      Oh, excellent...thanks for the info, and putting the file here as
                      well as back on the now defunct egroups files. Much appreciated. :)

                      > Welcome to the Tekumel list! (I'm a lurker on the Jorune list myself).

                      Thank you. Nice to be here. :) I've seen some of your postings
                      here and over on the JORUNE list. Good stuff - and would like to game
                      with you at a convention or some such some day. :)

                      --
                      JohnK
                      e-mail: jkahane@...
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 25, 2006
                        Hullo, Krista,

                        In a message of April 25th, 2006, you wrote,

                        > Speaking of conventions, how close are you to Ann Arbor?

                        I live in Ottawa, Ontario, so it's not that far. (Well, not
                        compared to travelling from here to Los Angeles or the like. <g>)

                        >There's a Tekumel Track every year in November at U-Con, the University
                        >of Michigan gaming convention. I, along with other denizens from the
                        >list, will be attending and running games.

                        Yes, I've heard of this, primarily reading through the back posts
                        here on Yahoogroups. (I've gotten to something like 2000 of them, so
                        have quite a few to go through before I catch up.) Might want to go to
                        U-Con this year, but that's a period of heavy snow and all, so would
                        likely fly rather than drive, or perhaps take the train.

                        Good idea...will think on this. :)

                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 25, 2006
                          On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, John M Kahane wrote:

                          > Yes, I've heard of this, primarily reading through the back posts
                          > here on Yahoogroups. (I've gotten to something like 2000 of them, so
                          > have quite a few to go through before I catch up.) Might want to go to
                          > U-Con this year, but that's a period of heavy snow and all, so would
                          > likely fly rather than drive, or perhaps take the train.

                          We're 25 minutes from Detroit Metro Airport (DTW), so flying in is pretty
                          convenient!

                          -- Joe
                        • alvahardison
                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 10, 2007
                            I'm doing my year ahead planning and would like to know if anyone knows
                            of a hotel/motel within walking distance of the Union that is
                            reasonable.
                          • joe piz
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 10, 2007
                              the standard hotels are not in walking distance, but, in the past, there were so many of us who rented cars, staying at the Motel 6 (?) or the red roof that it would be no problem to get rides with other clan members. some people chipped in on cars, etc.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 10, 2007
                                On Oct 10, 2007, at 5:12 PM, alvahardison wrote:

                                > I'm doing my year ahead planning and would like to know if anyone
                                > knows
                                > of a hotel/motel within walking distance of the Union that is
                                > reasonable.

                                As Joe Pizzirusso noted, the less-expensive chain motels are more
                                than walking distance from campus, but there are usually at least a
                                few Tekumelani staying there who can provide rides. I live in Ann
                                Arbor, and am willing to help with local information and
                                transportation as much as I can.

                                Our local convention and visitors bureau has a pretty good site that
                                includes the inexpensive chains:
                                http://www.annarbor.org/accomodations/
                                You should avoid anything on the north side of town, and with
                                addresses along Plymouth Road. These are the least convenient to
                                drive to. Along State Street and near I-94 are the easiest access.

                                Within walking distance of the university campus are only more
                                expensive hotels and a collection of B&Bs.

                                Here are the bed & breakfast places:
                                http://www.annarborbedandbreakfast.com/
                                http://www.burnttoastinn.com/
                                http://www.firststreetgardeninn.com/
                                http://www.a2vitosha.com/
                                There's one that doesn't have a web page, but I know some Tekumelani
                                have stayed here in the past:
                                The Library Bed & Breakfast
                                808 Mary St.
                                Ann Arbor, MI 48104
                                (734) 668-6815
                                Books, Books and more books! Choose from the poetry, fiction/mystery
                                and miniature/pop-up bedrooms. Rare books Living Room is full of
                                special collections. Full service with cookbooks Kitchen, and a share
                                Go Blue Bathroom. Just steps to campus, sports arenas, eating and
                                downtown. Full literary breakfasts in the Well Read Room. Walking
                                maps to libraries, bookshops, and museums. Parking. Pets present in
                                owner lodgings. Innkeeper: Joan Knoertzer. $$-$$$.
                                Here's a review by a Tekumel Track attendee who stayed here last
                                year: http://tinyurl.com/2ne9s5

                                Here are links to the hotels within walking distance:

                                The Bell Tower Hotel
                                http://www.belltowerhotel.com/

                                Campus Inn
                                http://www.campusinn.com/home.html

                                The Inn at the Michigan League
                                http://www.umich.edu/~league/

                                contact me offlist if you'd like more information.

                                Cheers,

                                George
                              • Alva Hardison
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 12, 2007
                                  Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Alva

                                  joe piz <pizzij@...> wrote: the standard hotels are not in walking distance, but, in the past, there were so many of us who rented cars, staying at the Motel 6 (?) or the red roof that it would be no problem to get rides with other clan members. some people chipped in on cars, etc.

                                  I'm doing my year ahead planning and would like to know if anyone knows
                                  of a hotel/motel within walking distance of the Union that is
                                  reasonable.

                                • Ksarul
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 12, 2007
                                    A happy Eid al-Fitr wish for you Phil: May this and all your days be
                                    wonderful.

                                    Jim Fetzner
                                  • danielle_goudeau
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 19 10:04 PM
                                      My husband and I are going to attend U-Con for the first time this year as we now live within driving distance. Could someone familiar with the Tekumel track there help me out with some info?

                                      We want to run a (non-Tekumel) LARP on either Saturday or Sunday and I am wondering if either of those days is more likely to have more of any panels or special events, so we can choose.

                                      Thanks
                                      Danielle
                                    • Dora Furlong
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 21 11:02 AM
                                        Hi Danielle,

                                        UCon does tend to have the most events scheduled for Saturday. If you decide
                                        to run on Sunday then you will want to run it in afternoon slot. I usually
                                        ran my non-Tekumel LARP on Sunday's and had about 10 players.

                                        Dora