Problem with CVS Cam Servers?

  • Douglas S. Blank
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
      We are running Tekkotsu out of CVS, and have a problem connecting onto
      the Raw and/or Seg vision stream off of port 10012. Our previous setup
      under Tekkotsu2.1 is still working, so it appears that something has
      changed in the new software.

      It looks like that the server isn't getting started on that socket, for
      if we try to connect onto it after starting the Raw Cam Server, we get a
      "connection refused" error:

      % telnet aibo1 10012
      Trying IPADDRESS
      Telnet: connect to address IPADDRESS: Connection refused

      Likewise, the ControllerGUI also can't connect to that port: it shows a
      black screen and hangs.

      I have reverted back to a pristine CVS version, so I don't think any of
      our new code is being used. Any ideas?

      Thanks for any suggestions,

      -Doug

      Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:

      > Tekkotsu 2.3 has been released!
      > http://www.tekkotsu.org/
      >
      > This release contains almost all of the features originally slated for
      > 2.3, although a few were pushed back in order to get some important
      > bug fixes out in a timely matter.
      >
      > More information is available from the Version History page:
      > http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/%7Etekkotsu/VersionHistory.html#v2.3
      >
      > Enjoy!

      Douglas S. Blank, Assistant Professor
      dblank@..., (610)526-6501
      Bryn Mawr College, Computer Science Program
      101 North Merion Ave, Park Science Bld.
      Bryn Mawr, PA 19010 dangermouse.brynmawr.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
        There are two significant changes since 2.1 that may be involved.
        One is that UDP is now available for the video stream, and is set by
        default to be used ({raw,seg}_transport in tekkotsu.cfg)
        The other is that I did a pass through the menus, standardizing the
        form of names used for the entries, so "RawCamBehavior" became "Raw Cam
        Server"... this may be breaking some scripts you have still using the
        old name, so the server isn't being launched. (although you mention
        "Raw Cam Server", so I'm guessing it's the first item)
        Hopefully it's just one of those two, which should be pretty easy to
        fix...
        (Try a pre-built memory stick and/or pre-built TekkotsuMon tools if you
        feel the need to do a sanity check that your builds are good... I'm not
        sure what to make of the Raw Cam GUI not being able to connect, other
        than it's an old version or something...)

        -ethan

        On Feb 1, 2005, at 9:53 AM, Douglas S. Blank wrote:

        > We are running Tekkotsu out of CVS, and have a problem connecting onto
        > the Raw and/or Seg vision stream off of port 10012. Our previous setup
        > under Tekkotsu2.1 is still working, so it appears that something has
        > changed in the new software.
        >
        > It looks like that the server isn't getting started on that socket,
        > for
        > if we try to connect onto it after starting the Raw Cam Server, we
        > get a
        > "connection refused" error:
        >
        > % telnet aibo1 10012
        > Trying IPADDRESS
        > Telnet: connect to address IPADDRESS: Connection refused
        >
        > Likewise, the ControllerGUI also can't connect to that port: it shows
        > black screen and hangs.
        >
        > I have reverted back to a pristine CVS version, so I don't think any
        > of
        > our new code is being used. Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks for any suggestions,
        >
        > -Doug
        >

        > Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
        > >
        > > Tekkotsu 2.3 has been released!
        > > http://www.tekkotsu.org/
        > >
        > > This release contains almost all of the features originally slated
        > for
        > > 2.3, although a few were pushed back in order to get some important
        > > bug fixes out in a timely matter.
        > >
        > > More information is available from the Version History page:
        > >   http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/%7Etekkotsu/VersionHistory.html#v2.3
        > >
        > > Enjoy!

        > >     * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        > >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
        > >

        > --
        > Douglas S. Blank,         Assistant Professor
        > dblank@...,            (610)526-6501
        > Bryn Mawr College,   Computer Science Program
        > 101 North Merion Ave,       Park Science Bld.
        > Bryn Mawr, PA 19010  dangermouse.brynmawr.edu

        > Service.

      • Douglas S. Blank
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
          Ok, that hint was enough to track down two problems: one ours, and one
          Tekkotsu's.

          The first problem was that our IT group had a firewall blocking UDP on
          our wireless. That can be hard to track down!

          The second problem is actually three typos in Tekkotsu:

          Tekkotsu/Shared/Config.cc, Line 120: should be rawcam_port not raw_port
          Tekkotsu/Shared/Config.cc, Line 123: should be rawcam_transport not
          raw_transport
          Tekkotsu/Behaviors/Mon/RawCamBehavior.h, Line 47: should be rawcam_port
          not rle_port

          (Sorry for not sending diffs; nearing the completion of these patches
          that I will send shortly to add an inter-interval pauses, and the "!cmd"
          command.)

          Thanks again,

          -Doug

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
            I just realized that maybe you wanted to use raw_* in the .cfg file, and
            rawcam_* in the CC files (which may (evidently has in our case) cause
            confusion). In any event, the tekkotsu.cfg should also be checked to
            make sure it matches your intentions. -Doug

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
              Oh geez, sorry about that.
              I agree with your choice regarding the mismatch between tekkotsu.cfg
              and what's actually expected by Config.cc - 'rawcam' is used more
              commonly, and 'raw' is ambiguous. I'm tempted to switch 'rle' to
              'rlecam' as well for consistency, but I worry it would be stirring up
              more trouble than it would fix, so I guess I'd tend to leave that one
              be.

              Thanks for tracking them down, we look forward to the patches :)
              (Although feel free to roll it all into one patch if that's easier)

              -ethan