TCP communications

  • Bryan Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11 7:17 PM
      Hello -

      Has anyone worked closely with the TCP communications tools provided with Tekkotsu?  Specifically, I'm curious about the wireless class, and how it calls the "callback" function which is specified when a new socket is created.  This "callback" function processes the messages received over the socket (for an example, see mechacmd_callback in HeadpointControllerBehavior.cc, line 97).  It seems as though this function is called regularly every ~200ms, at which point it is expected to process all messages that may have been queued since this last time it was called.  All this is well and good, except that we are trying to send joint update commands over TCP, and would like to process these commands much faster than that.  Any ideas on where to look to increase the frequency of this call?

      thanks,
      Bryan

      ps - Ethan, I'm still working to update the MATLAB tools so that they'll work with the ERS-7.  I've got everything working except the depth map and height map, and hope to tackle those this week.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12 8:19 AM
        This *may* be a limitation of the system's networking code. Most of my
        experience has been in pumping data out of the AIBO - debugging info,
        streaming video, etc. So I'm not too sure of how well the system
        handles incoming data. There isn't any extra buffering or delays
        within Tekkotsu:

        System -> MMCombo::ReceiveCont() -> Wireless::ReceiveCont() ->
        your_callback_function()

        So you may need to delve into the Wireless/Socket classes and the
        AIBO's networking APIs to see if there's any way around it, perhaps
        some configuration setting? If you come to the conclusion the system
        is the holdup, I'd suggest tossing a message to the OPEN-R BBS:
        https://openr.aibo.com/cgi-bin/openr/e_regi/im_trbbs.cgi?uid=general

        -ethan

        PS I had deprecated the depth/height map stuff, but if you polish it up
        I may bring it back out of retirement. As an added bonus, I had been
        playing with the IR a bit a few weeks ago, and might have some
        improvements in the pipeline for doing some pretty precise modeling
        with it.
        Video: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~tekkotsu/Samples.html#maze_explore
        Paper and presentation: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~tekkotsu/Media.html
        ("The Sony AIBO: Using IR for Maze Navigation")
        (This was work done by a team of high school students I was advising in
        a summer program held at CMU)