PID regulator and PWM

  • sergiuszbleja
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2004
      I'm currently in a project at Uppsala university were we are going to
      identify the system of a joint of the aibo, basically a mathemathical
      model to later implement. As the PID is digitally implemented it is
      hard to know what type of control algorithm is used and what really
      comes out of it. Now to the questions...

      Does the regulator control on the difference between angle-value [val]
      and the reference value [ref val] which can be extracted from the
      sensorobserver (Open-R).

      Is the output of the PID-regulator simply PwmDuty?

      If the question would be yes on both then it would simplify the
      identification of the regulator and really help when determining the
      closed loop system.

      Any light on this matter would be highly appreciated!
      /sergiusz
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2004
        > Does the regulator control on the difference between angle-value [val]
        > and the reference value [ref val] which can be extracted from the
        > sensorobserver (Open-R).
        I believe so.

        > Is the output of the PID-regulator simply PwmDuty?
        Yes, I'm 99% sure of this one.
        At least, this is the signal being sent to the motor, so it should at
        least be directly related to the output of the PID-regulator, if it's
        not the exact same thing.

        I believe the calculation is done as follows:
        (gain*err)>>(16-shift)
        for each of P, I, and D, and then the results are summed to get the
        duty (or whatever the duty is based on)

        there's a little more info on this at:
        http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~tekkotsu/dox/classPIDMC.html

        > Any light on this matter would be highly appreciated!
        Sorry about the delay :)