No physics/collisions in MIRAGE

  • tencuid
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2011
      Hello. I installed MIRAGE using the guide in http://wiki.tekkotsu.org/index.php/Mirage_install_instructions and succesfully ran it with a tekkotsu-ERS7 simulator program. However, though Tekkotsu environment connects ok with MIRAGE simulator, It seems like physics is disabled: i.e. if I load the tictactoe.mirage world, when my robot finds an object it just walks through it. The same with the maze (AIBO just goes through the walls) and some other examples. Am I missing something?
      I would like a similar behavior than in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO1gW4BKS50 where you can see Chiara climbing or falling from sky.

      Thanks in advance. Regards!!
    • Nacho Herrero Reder
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2011
        Hello again! I compiled Tekkotsu- MIRAGE with CREATE robot and now it is working!! Whenever the robot crash with an object, it push the object around the place. So, perhaps the problem is about the definition of the robot model. Could anyone give me an insight of what should I change in the AIBO files in order it can detect collisions and crash with objects?

        Thanks!!

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2011
          Ah, the problem is that the Aibo kinematic definition is incomplete.  We have 3D models originally provided by Sony for the visual display of the robot, but Mirage bases its physics simulation on much simpler shapes such as cubes, spheres, and cylinders.  If you press ‘c’ in Mirage, it will toggle between displaying these collision models and the normal high-resolution display models.

          In order to specify the collision models for the Aibo, you would need to edit the CollisionModel, CollisionModelScale, CollisionModelOffset, and possibly CollisionModelRotation fields for each relevant link in the .kin file.  You can specify multiple collision elements per link by adding them to the Components array for the link.  You may also wish to specify a Mass value for each link.

          I suggest looking at other models’ .kin files, and reviewing the page:
          In particular ‘LinkComponents’, from which each link in the .kin derives:

          Note if you just want objects to react to being pushed around around in Mirage, it may be enough to specify a sphere for each paw, if that is the extent of contact that you care about.

          Also note if you launch Mirage with a .kin (via specifying the file on command line, or by double clicking the file on OS X), you can reload it by pressing ‘r’ in Mirage, which is a little easier than relaunching Mirage each time you edit the .kin.

          -Ethan