Creating .kin files in 5.0

  • jtennys
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
      I upgraded from 4.0 to 5.0 in the past week and I was trying to use some of my old files that I had created for KHR2, including my kinematic definitions. I am currently not concerned with 3d modeling, so I was wondering if I could just leave out the parameters from Model all the way down that are used for 3d modeling, or if I needed to include them in some form to make the simulator happy. I also wondered where the .kin files are included now. It used to be tekkotsu.cfg, but I noticed that the new .kin files are not included in these .cfg files, and files that were defined in the .cfg files are no longer present in the ms/config directory. It seems that they have been replaced by the .tm file types, but I cannot open them to confirm.

      Thanks,
      Jason Tennyson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009

        I am currently not concerned with 3d modeling, so I was wondering if I could just leave out the parameters from Model all the way down that are used for 3d modeling, or if I needed to include them in some form to make the simulator happy.

        Correct, I've tried to make sure things "just work" as much as possible with default values.  So just leave out key/value pairs for stuff like Model etc.  You'll eventually need such things in order to display/run in the Mirage 3d environment, but Tekkotsu itself doesn't use these values.  BoundingBox values are used in the planning code for collision checks, but you can skip these as well until you're ready to use it.

        So I think the only values you really need for basic forward/inverse kinematic operation are JointType (assumes revolute anyway though if left off), θ, d, α, r, Min, Max, and Name.

        However, I've found a visual display is pretty handy for debugging the DH parameters.  If you run into trouble, it's about time that I put up a page on how to build Mirage and you can just use some basic graphics (cube/cylinder/sphere with x,y,z scaling and offset) in order to get a quick idea what's going on.

        Not sure if I mentioned earlier, one thing to watch out for is that the DH notation has changed (I think what we've switched to is known as "modified DH").  Previously, the parameters for each link specified the *next* link (from the current), and now they specify the *current* link (from the previous).  This is necessary in order to support branching kinematic chains.  So the values are the same, but they get shifted around a little.  This is explained in the comments at the top of the included .kin files.

        It used to be tekkotsu.cfg, but I noticed that the new .kin files are not included in these .cfg files

        We're using a "smarter" default now, where it looks for ms/config/<RobotName>.kin.  There's still a 'kinematics' setting if you wish to override this, but I wouldn't expect it to be used in practice.  (it's unspecified in the config to use the default value)

        Also note the tekkotsu.cfg is now 'tekkotsu.xml', although for compatibility it should be able to still load the .cfg.  Just watch out that it will ignore the tekkotsu.cfg if it finds a tekkotsu.xml first.

        It seems that they have been replaced by the .tm file types, but I cannot open them to confirm.

        No, there were .tm files before, although new ones may have been added, but these are unrelated to what you're looking at.
        The .tm files are threshold maps, used to define the color segmentation lookup table.  (see http://tekkotsu.no-ip.org/CameraSetup.html , the only part that needs to be updated is that on non-Aibos, shutter speed and gain are now driver-specific (HAL) settings, the values in Config will be ignored)

        -Ethan
      • jtennys
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2009
          Thanks for all the great info. I will convert my kinematic parameters. I look forward to using the 3d modeling in the future.