Behaviors and Crashes

  • jtennys
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hi, I just started using Tekkotsu a few weeks ago and have been getting acquainted with the environment by testing it on the Aibo ERS210 model. I am using both Ubuntu and Mac OS X.

      I have two questions. The first deals with my Aibo crashing. It does not appear to happen at any particular time in execution. I have had it crash before I could send it a command, and I have had it crash after several minutes of walking, ball chasing, and several other behavior commands. I have looked at port 59000 during the last two days of simulation and have not seen an error message come up. I have used the crashDebug tool and it does not appear to see an error. I have watched the status of my WiFi signal strength, battery life, and free memory, with no red flags. I had to modify the roots of crashDebug for my Mac to get it to run, since I am not in /usr/local (write permission headaches), but here is the output of the crashDebug running, if it provides any information:

      /Users/jasontennyson/Downloads/Tekkotsu/tools/crashDebug ; exit;
      client48-169:~ jasontennyson$ /Users/jasontennyson/Downloads/Tekkotsu/tools/crashDebug ; exit;
      Usage: /Users/jasontennyson/Downloads/Tekkotsu/tools/crashDebug [-q] [-f file] [-mipal [mi-pal_options]]
      -q will do a quick analysis using emonLogParser (from Sony)
      -f will read file as emon.log instead of looking
      at $MEMSTICK_ROOT/open-r/emon.log
      -mipal will use the Mi-Pal tools from Griffith University
      mi-pal_options (if any) are passed to StackedIt
      If no options are given, '-q -mipal -2' is assumed.
      This should be run from within the project directory
      which caused the crash
      grep: Makefile: No such file or directory
      WARNING: could not find TEKKOTSU_ENVIRONMENT_CONFIGURATION specification in Makefile.
      Defaulting to 'Environment.conf'.
      /var/folders/03/03StbU6iE6qjpaLDJwHRa++++TI/-Tmp-/GmPmzNeU:1: Environment.conf: No such file or directory
      make: *** No rule to make target `Environment.conf'. Stop.
      WARNING: could not find PROJECT_BD specification in your project's
      Makefile environment configuration. Defaulting to '/Users/jasontennyson/Downloads/Tekkotsu/build/PLATFORM_APERIOS/TGT_ERS210'.
      WARNING: No TEKKOTSU_ROOT value, defaulting to /Users/jasontennyson/Downloads/Tekkotsu
      WARNING: No OPENRSDK_ROOT value, defaulting to /Users/jasontennyson/Downloads/OPEN_R_SDK
      WARNING: No MEMSTICK_ROOT value, defaulting to /mnt/memstick
      Processing from build directory: `/Users/jasontennyson/Downloads/Tekkotsu/build/PLATFORM_APERIOS/TGT_ERS210'

      Copying emon.log from memory stick...
      cp: /mnt/memstick/open-r/emon.log: No such file or directory
      Waiting for unmount... this may take a few seconds for buffered writes to complete
      I'm done copying the emon file from the memory stick, /mnt/memstick unmounted

      grep: /tmp/jasontennyson_emon.log: No such file or directory
      ** Running '/Users/jasontennyson/Downloads/Tekkotsu/tools/emonLogParser',
      ** taken and modified from the Sony samples...
      ERROR: can't open /tmp/jasontennyson_emon.log: No such file or directory
      ERROR: can't open /tmp/jasontennyson_emon.log: No such file or directory

      Using StackedIt options: -2
      Generating disassembly (this can take a *long* time)...Cannot open /tmp/jasontennyson_emon.log at /Users/jasontennyson/Downloads/Tekkotsu/tools/mipaltools/elp.pl line 134.
      done.
      *** Using elp.pl by Stuart Seymon (v2.0, 5/9/2003) ***
      *** Mi-Pal, Griffith University, Australia ***
      see /Users/jasontennyson/Downloads/Tekkotsu/tools/mipaltools/ for more info
      logout

      [Process completed]

      My second question deals with programming Behaviors for the Aibo so that I can get to know my way around that process. I have followed the tutorial very closely, but have ran into a problem. I am asked to include my behavior header in a file called "UserBehaviors.h" that I do not seem to have. Is "UserBehaviors.h" a generic name for a file that I do have or am I just missing this file. Any help is appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Jason Tennyson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009

        The first deals with my Aibo crashing. It does not appear to happen at any particular time in execution.

        I can't say much about the crashing... it's apparently not finding the emon.log file on your memory stick, which the Aibo is supposed to write out when it crashes.

        I am asked to include my behavior header in a file called "UserBehaviors.h"

        Oh, this is a new thing in CVS, wasn't in the last release.

        It's not a big deal, instead just edit StartupBehavior_SetupModeSwitch.cc and add an entry there for your behavior, following the model of the other entries.  UserBehaviors does some macro stuff to make this a little less scary looking, but basically the same idea.

        -Ethan

      • dst@cs.cmu.edu
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2009
          Regarding the missing UserBehaviors.h file: it looks like you're running
          the "stable" release of Tekkotsu, which is nearly two years old now. The
          online tutorial is for the bleeding edge version, so you're going to
          run into compatibility problems. For example, it used to be the case
          that user behaviors needed to call BehaviorBase::DoStart() or
          StateNode::DoStart() as the first thing in their own DoStart() function,
          but this is no longer true, and so it has been deleted from the tutorial.
          But if you fail to do this in code that is compiled with an older version
          of Tekkotsu, things will break. Another difference is that the state machine
          shorthand notation described in the tutorial is not included in older
          releases of Tekkotsu.

          You can pick up the bleeding edge version from cvs.tekkotsu.org by
          eliminating the STABLE tag; see the Downloads page at Tekkotsu.org.

          -- Dave Toruetzky
        • Ignacio Herrero Reder
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
            Hello. Perhaps it is not  THE solution, but I had many problems with a Behavior in which my AIBO was seeking the ball with the head: in more or less time (randomly) AIBO crashed. We saw that there was a problem with an event launched when a head movement reached its final position: if head moved too frequently there was a memory corruption problem. I solved it deactivating the event sending at the end of the head movement (the price was not knowing when the head movement ends!). Apparently it solved the crashing issue. I commented the line 228 at file HeadPointerMC.cc (//posEvent(EventBase::motmanEGID,getID(),EventBase::statusETID)) in order to do that. Try and see if this fixing can solve your issue (you can activate the demo behavior "StareAtBallBehavior" to see this, as this behavior has a frequent head movement).
            I don't know if this issue was fixed in another way, as Tekkotsu bug and cvs pages are down at this moment.
            Regards
                Ignacio
            Ignacio Herrero Reder            / Tl. +34-95.213.71.60
            Dpto. Tecnologia Electronica     / Fax: +34-95.213.14.47
            E.T.S. Ing. Telecomunicacion     / nhr@...
            Universidad de Malaga            / http://www.dte.uma.es
            Campus Universitario de Teatinos
            29010 Malaga, Spain

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
              Thank you all for the quick responses. I have started the updating process on my version of Tekkotsu. I pasted in the line from the bleeding edge server download command, and though it updated, received this warning at the beginning of the update:

              cvs checkout: warning: failed to open /Users/jasontennyson/.cvspass for reading: No such file or directory

              It continued fine without this file, but I didn't know if it was a big deal that I didn't have it.

              Thank you for the idea possibility on fixing the crashes as well. I think a memory corruption may be what I may be experiencing with my robot. After several simulations yesterday, I was able to get one error message out of port 59000. It read:

              abort() called
              ERROR: WorldStatePool unable to update state because none available

              This only happened once, though, making it unclear if this has been my problem.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
                > cvs checkout: warning: failed to open /Users/jasontennyson/.cvspass
                > for reading: No such file or directory

                Yeah, this is fine—that file would store passwords for CVS servers,
                but the anonymous checkout doesn't need a password, so it really
                shouldn't even be bothering to load it, much less complain that it
                doesn't exist. (CVS is kind of stupid)

                > abort() called
                > ERROR: WorldStatePool unable to update state because none available

                The abort() indicates an uncaught exception... such as out-of-memory
                from new.
                The WorldStatePool thing isn't directly related because it doesn't do
                memory allocations, this indicates a somewhat rare thread race
                condition. It might be fixed in the update.

                I would be concerned about memory in general on an ERS-210 though,
                that's going to be pretty tight. You will probably want to remove as
                many demo behaviors as possible to free up space.

                > memory corruption problem. I solved it deactivating the event
                > sending at the end of the head movement [...] I don't know if this
                > issue was fixed in another way, as Tekkotsu bug and cvs pages are
                > down at this moment.

                I looked into this, but wasn't able to fix it. As far as I can tell
                it's a problem with the OPEN-R message passing mechanism. We mostly
                use relatively static buffers like MotionCommands (i.e. a 'message',
                where both processes retain a reference and then can share the buffer)
                instead of sending lots of little messages that get thrown away.
                Sending events from Motion (like MC completion) is the notable
                exception which seems to cause the trouble. :(