Problem installing Tekkotsu OpenR

  • gottabeme_87
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi,

      My name is Kaushik. Ive been trying to install OPEN-R on my laptop to
      use with Tekkotsu, Aibo. I tried it on Ubuntu 8.04 with gcc 4.3 and also
      with Fedora with gcc 4.1. Both gave me the following error -

      -----------------------
      make[3]: Entering directory `/root/Kaushik/bld-newlib-1.15.0/etc'
      /root/Kaushik/newlib-1.15.0/missing makeinfo --split-size=5000000
      --split-size=5000000 --no-split -I../../newlib-1.15.0/etc -o
      standards.info ../../newlib-1.15.0/etc/standards.texi
      WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system. You should only need it if
      you modified a `.texi' or `.texinfo' file, or any other file
      indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual. The spurious
      call might also be the consequence of using a buggy `make' (AIX,
      DU, IRIX). You might want to install the `Texinfo' package or
      the `GNU make' package. Grab either from any GNU archive site.
      make[3]: *** [standards.info] Error 1
      make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/Kaushik/bld-newlib-1.15.0/etc'
      make[2]: *** [info] Error 1
      make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/Kaushik/bld-newlib-1.15.0/etc'
      make[1]: *** [all-etc] Error 2
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Kaushik/bld-newlib-1.15.0'
      make: *** [all] Error 2
      -----------------------
      Please tell me how to get around this. I would appreciate any help.
      Thank you.

      Regards,

      Kaushik
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
        It looks like the big "WARNING" line is telling you what's wrong:
        > WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system. [...] You might want
        > to install the `Texinfo' package [...]

        You should make sure that's installed by running:
        sudo apt-get install texinfo

        Note there's a few other packages you may need as well, check the
        "Ubuntu Users:" prerequisite note at the top of our open-r
        installation page:
        http://www.tekkotsu.org/openr-install.html

        If it turns out you already have texinfo installed and /usr/bin/
        makeinfo is present and you still get that error, then something
        strange is going on! ;)

        -Ethan
      • gottabeme_87
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
          Hey Ethan,

          Thanks for the reply. I already had texinfo installed and also I
          satisfied the other Ubuntu installation prerequisites. I can't seem to
          figure it out. Anyway I decided to ssh to my university machine in
          order to compile the code.

          I am right now working on an object recognition project with the Aibo.
          It has to recognize a source of light (say a red laser beam), estimate
          the distance to it and walk until it reaches the dot.

          Being new to tekkotsu programming, I looked on the net for related
          information and I came across these two -

          1. A pdf titled - Implementing Segmented Vision using Tekkotsu by
          Shawn Turner(Albany University) – Robotics Seminar – Spring 2003.

          2. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Tekkotsu/Tutorial/colorsegment.shtml

          I followed the procedure outlined in the two documents and now I seem
          to have hit a wall.

          Until now what I have done is -

          1)Taken multiple pictures of the red laser under different lighting
          condition. Stored them as PNG files.

          2)Used the EasyTrain tool to produce the necessary threshold files,
          ie. redtest.tm, redtest.col and redtest.spc

          3)Transferred the files to my project/ms/config directory.

          4)I started the ControllerGUI, Went to Root Menu > File Access >
          Tekkotsu Configuration. From the edit menu, selected "vision". Changed
          the "colors" entry to config/redtest.col

          5) Manually modified the tekkotsu.xml file and replaced all the 7general.tm to redtest.tm

          6) After this I followed instructions given in the PDF. Now everytime
          I access the GUI, under Vision Pipeline, it says "redtest" color is
          not defined.

          Please help me with this. I would like to learn how to train the Aibo
          to identify an object and how to move towards it. I am new to
          Tekkotsu, if possible a detail response will be very helpful for me to
          learn. Thank you.

          Kaushik

          --- In tekkotsu_dev@yahoogroups.com, Ethan Tira-Thompson <ejt@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
            4)I started the ControllerGUI, Went to Root Menu > File Access >
            Tekkotsu Configuration. From the edit menu, selected "vision". Changed
            the "colors" entry to config/redtest. col

            5) Manually modified the tekkotsu.xml file and replaced all the 7general.tm to redtest.tm

            These two are trying to accomplish the same goal: the ControllerGUI configuration editor is editing the tekkotsu.xml.  Note that changes you make there aren't automatically saved, you need to trigger that.  And in the case of the Aibo, that's written on the memory stick, so I'd recommend doing the edits as in (5), so you edit the copy on the computer.

            Anyway, check colors entry in tekkotsu.xml again... that's the .col file is where it specifies the name of the color, so if it's not finding the name, that's probably the one that's being missed.

            -Ethan

          • gottabeme_87
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2008
              Hey Ethan
              Thanks a lot. I got it to work. I hadn't set the color file in
              tekkotsu.xml and also I had made a mistake when initializing the
              BallDetectionGenerator in StareatBall Behavior.

              Thanks for you help,