Tekkotsu 4.0 on ERS 210 using 8 Mb memory stick

  • dogan yazar
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
      Hi,
      I am trying to use Tekkotsu 4.0 on AIBO ERS 210. The memory stick provided to me is 8 MB. The problem I am having is that the sample project provided in the distribution does not fit in the memory stick when I execute make update. (it says that no space left)
      So, I stripped off all the sample behaviours (removed all files starting with name StartupBehavior_Setup) so now it barely fits but now as you guess, I can not use anything useful :)))) And worse, very little place is left for my own behaviours

      So here is my question: Is there anything that I am doing wrong? or is it completely normal that it does not fit in 8 MB memory stick and people usually use bigger sticks (which I don't have any).  Is there any thing that I can strip off without having any problem?
      Also, I could not see anybody having this kind of problem when I searched, so is this the case with the latest version (since it offers more, maybe it also requires more), I mean maybe I can use an older version, can I?

      Also, when I registered for the mail group, Ethan Tira-Thompson showed the courtesy to warn me by saying

      "Just thought I'd warn you off the bat, the ERS-210 is a little tight
      on memory for all the stuff we have in the framework these days, so
      you'll probably want to strip down the demo behaviors listed in the
      project directory (e.g. the StartupBehavior_Setup*.cc files) so you
      have some headroom for your own stuff :)"

      Is this related with the thing I am saying above, or is it (as I understand) directly related with the AIBO's own memory.

      Thanks in advance for your answers

    • doganyazar
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
        --- In tekkotsu_dev@yahoogroups.com, "dogan yazar" <doganyazar@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I am trying to use Tekkotsu 4.0 on AIBO ERS 210. The memory stick
        provided
        > to me is 8 MB. The problem I am having is that the sample project
        provided
        > in the distribution does not fit in the memory stick when I execute make
        > update. (it says that no space left)
        > So, I stripped off all the sample behaviours (removed all files starting
        > with name StartupBehavior_Setup) so now it barely fits but now as
        you guess,
        > I can not use anything useful :)))) And worse, very little place is
        left for
        > my own behaviours
        >
        > So here is my question: Is there anything that I am doing wrong? or
        is it
        > completely normal that it does not fit in 8 MB memory stick and people
        > usually use bigger sticks (which I don't have any). Is there any
        thing that
        > I can strip off without having any problem?
        > Also, I could not see anybody having this kind of problem when I
        searched,
        > so is this the case with the latest version (since it offers more,
        maybe it
        > also requires more), I mean maybe I can use an older version, can I?
        >
        > Also, when I registered for the mail group, Ethan Tira-Thompson
        showed the
        > courtesy to warn me by saying
        >
        > "Just thought I'd warn you off the bat, the ERS-210 is a little tight
        > on memory for all the stuff we have in the framework these days, so
        > you'll probably want to strip down the demo behaviors listed in the
        > project directory (e.g. the StartupBehavior_Setup*.cc files) so you
        > have some headroom for your own stuff :)"
        >
        > Is this related with the thing I am saying above, or is it (as I
        understand)
        > directly related with the AIBO's own memory.
        >

        > Thanks in advance for your answers

        I am sorry, I searched whether this question is asked before but I
        could not find back then, now I found a similar question:
        and Ethan's answer:

        Sorry to disturb, of course if you have anything more to say I want to
        hear it :))))
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2008
          Yeah, I was going to suggest deleting the sound files, but it looks
          like I already suggested it ;)

          There are 16mb sticks btw, which is why the memory stick storage space
          isn't commonly an issue. The 16mb sticks came out fairly early on,
          and continued to be used with the ERS-7 models, so are/were pretty
          widespread. You may be able to find one on e-bay if you are so
          inclined, or "convert" another memory stick to become a "pink memory
          stick". (although I don't have any first hand experience with the
          latter)

          As an alternative to doing without sound, you can also convert the wav
          files to 8bit/8Hz to save space. (then also change ms/config/
          tekkotsu.xml's sound.sample_bits and sample_rate settings to match)