Re: [tekkotsu_dev] AIBO: ad-hoc and first behavior

  • Subhasis Mukherjee
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2007
      Dear Salvo
      There is no boot no record in walconf file. This
      is just to manage the wi-fi comm of the AIBO to pc.
      Even I run AIBO without this file & was unable to use
      the wi-fi only. So U should think about something
      else. Check whether u have copied all files correctly
      into ur pink chip /PMS or not. Hope it will help.
      cheers
      Subh

      --- Salvatore Benedetto

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2007
        Oops, I just realized I missed this message, apologies. (thanks Subh)
        I'll second Subh -- try deleting the wlanconf.txt file, and stick
        with the original wlandflt.txt in ms/open-r/system/conf.
        The worst that should happen is that it delays boot waiting for time-
        out while trying to find the network/DHCP server, but it shouldn't
        crash. I've seen syntax problems in wlandflt.txt cause a crash, so
        reverting to the default files will at least rule that out.

        -ethan
      • Salvatore Benedetto
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2007
          The only thing I can think of is a case problem.

          Linux generates all files and directories name in lowercase,
          while some configuration files have path in uppercase.
          Could that be the problem? Is Aperios case-sensitive?

          Thanks a lot.

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 3, 2007
            The memory stick is not case sensitive.  So the case shouldn't matter.  The memory sticks only support 8.3 filenames though, so make sure you don't have any filenames longer than 8 letters, with a 3 letter extension.

            Are you using the Tekkotsu 'make update' or 'make install' to copy files to the memory stick?  There's actually a script that runs that is supposed to convert everything to either lower or upper case depending on your FILENAME_CASE setting in project/Environment.conf.  If you're seeing mixed case in your ms directory (which is what gets copied to the memory stick), then something might not be working right...?  The linux drivers are funny about retaining case on the memory stick though, so it might keep an uppercase name if it started out that way.

            Might want to try deleting everything off the stick and copying fresh files.  Try running fsck.msdos on it as well to check for filesystem corruption...

            -ethan

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 3, 2007
              On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 12:50 -0500, Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
              > The memory stick is not case sensitive. So the case shouldn't matter.
              > The memory sticks only support 8.3 filenames though, so make sure you
              > don't have any filenames longer than 8 letters, with a 3 letter
              > extension.
              >

              > Are you using the Tekkotsu 'make update' or 'make install' to copy
              > files to the memory stick? There's actually a script that runs that
              > is supposed to convert everything to either lower or upper case
              > depending on your FILENAME_CASE setting in project/Environment.conf.
              > If you're seeing mixed case in your ms directory (which is what gets
              > copied to the memory stick), then something might not be working
              > right...? The linux drivers are funny about retaining case on the
              > memory stick though, so it might keep an uppercase name if it started
              > out that way.

              I've used make newstick, update and install. I've never formatted the
              memory stick because I read not to.

              > Might want to try deleting everything off the stick and copying fresh
              > files. Try running fsck.msdos on it as well to check for filesystem
              > corruption...

              I tried fsck.msdos already and it gaves me no errors.

              It's driving me mad, because it doesn't boot even with an empty project.

              > -ethan

              Salvo
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 3, 2007
                What kind of memory stick is this? (You can't use the AiboMind
                sticks for development, even though they're still "pink") Perhaps
                see if you can get the Sony sample code to run on it? (see http://
                openr.aibo.com/openr/en/viewtopic.php?t=244 )

                -ethan
              • Salvatore Benedetto
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 4, 2007
                  One ms says "Aibo Mind 2" on it, and with it aibo doesn't start, the
                  other one is just pink and aibo starts, but does nothing but staying
                  still. Lights on is back flash orange.

                  I've just tried with Sony Sample code on both the "Aibo Mind 2" ms and
                  the just pink one. It works only on the pink one, not the aibo mind 2.

                  So what do I do with Aibo Mind stick? And why doens't it works?
                  Thanks a lot for your help! They should have told me not to use the
                  AiboMind for development.

                  Salvo

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 4, 2007
                    So what do I do with Aibo Mind stick? And why doens't it works?
                    Set it aside, perhaps with a label "not for development" :)

                    This is all thanks to Sony putting DRM on the memory sticks, which is also why you have to be careful about not doing a full reformat or else you might overwrite their secret bits and brick the stick >:-(  (well, turn it into a "purple" stick anyway, which doesn't have any DRM)

                    Here's a fun page you might be interested in though, a tool which can convert regular memory sticks into "pink" ones, however requires a "CLIE" PDA:

                    -ethan

                  • Salvatore Benedetto
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 5, 2007
                      On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 01:59 -0500, Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
                      > > So what do I do with Aibo Mind stick? And why doens't it works?
                      > Set it aside, perhaps with a label "not for development" :)
                      I know this is starting to get OT, but is there any way to restore
                      the aibomind 2 memory stick with its original software?

                      > This is all thanks to Sony putting DRM on the memory sticks, which is
                      > also why you have to be careful about not doing a full reformat or
                      > else you might overwrite their secret bits and brick the stick >:-(
                      > (well, turn it into a "purple" stick anyway, which doesn't have any
                      > DRM)

                      I hate DRM.

                      > Here's a fun page you might be interested in though, a tool which can
                      > convert regular memory sticks into "pink" ones, however requires a
                      > "CLIE" PDA:
                      > http://www.aibohack.com/clie/stikzap.htm

                      Again, thanks a lot for you help.

                      > -ethan

                      Salvo.

                    • Subhasis Mukherjee

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 5, 2007
                          What is DRM. Where I can get some information about it?

                          Digital "Rights" Management -- basically technological barriers to using the full functionality of information/equipment you have purchased.

                          -ethan

                        • Subhasis Mukherjee