Small Wireless Patch Part Deux

  • Chris Mansley
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2006
      When developing our networking protocol on the dogs, I couldn't figure
      out why things were not connecting. I finally narrowed it down to the
      simple problem of the TCP/IP stack timing out because the port at the
      other end wasn't open or was not responding quickly enough. So, I
      developed this helper function to let the programmer know when the
      TCP/IP stack has failed in a bad state, i.e. timeouts, ports closed,
      handshaking failed, etc... The isConnected function only allows you to
      check whether or not you have successfully connected, but there is no
      way of determining whether the connection failed at the TCP/IP level.
      This simple function allows you to check and retry your connect if it
      failed.
      Chris

      --
      Chris Mansley
      Research Assistant
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 16, 2006
        Looks good -- I've checked them into cvs (thanks for making that
        straightforward ;)

        In general for everyone, even if you've already submitted something
        to me personally that you'd like to see in the main release, feel
        free to add a bugzilla ( http://bugs.tekkotsu.org ) entry as well,
        just as insurance that it won't get lost in my email.

        I get emails from the server when things are added, so it should
        still give quick turnaround time for straightforward patches like
        this, but has the added benefit that I can go back and generate a
        list of changes and contributers more easily at release time, without
        having to search through my overflowing inbox ;)

        -ethan