Help me with .pos file

  • kpw_km
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hi.. Is it possible to write .pos files without using TekkotsuMon?
      I would like to use the joint values given out from
      WorldJointsListener and write it into .pos files.
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2003
        It's very straightforward actually...
        when you have the robot in a position you would like to save to file, pick the File Access -> Save Posture menu item in the controller.  When you send that control a file name, it will save the current posture in /ms/data/motion (unless you provide a different absolute path)

        Note that the .pos file is a very simple text format, documented in <tekkotsu_root>/docs/PositionFileFormat.txt, so you can edit it by hand.  (hmm, I should probably move that documentation into the doxygen info for the PostureMC/PostureEngine classes... I almost couldn't find it myself...)

        the joint names come from the RobotInfo namespace for your current model
        e.g.: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~tekkotsu/dox/ERS210Info_8h-source.html#l00201
        the values are in radians
        (which should be added to the docs)

        FYI, the format for MotionSequences is similar, and is documented online:
        http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~tekkotsu/dox/classMotionSequence.html

        hope that helps...
          -ethan

        PS I'm thinking about releasing the next version as 2.0 - the vision system has gotten a lot of attention, and it'll have support for the ERS-7 as well.  Besides, we'll be running out of 1.x numbers soon.

        We got our ERS-7 right before Thanksgiving break, so I'm hopefully going to have support for that  very soon. (I only got back to campus yesterday and still have some other stuff to take care of, so it'll be a few days still...)  For more info:
        http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~tekkotsu/VersionHistory.html#v2.0

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2003
          The procedure is not working? The way to input is go to

          File Access -> Save Posture

          Then type in the file name in the input box and press enter....

          That's all?

          But I can't find my file name in the memory stick.

          According to the documented information, the way to get .mot file is
          by loading different .pos files.

          But the data files (.mot ) didn't come in that format right?

          Thank you for your info...

          --- In tekkotsu_dev@yahoogroups.com, Ethan Tira-Thompson <ejt@a...>

        • Matthias Bruestle
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
            Mahlzeit

            What I am missing is some information about happens is a motor is stuck
            and if the programmer has to do something to handle this in a safe way
            or if Tekkotsu does that.

            Thanks
            endergone Zwiebeltuete

            --
            It just makes you feel
          • Matthias Bruestle
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
              And by the way ... has someone tried already to use a picture of Aibos
              own leg for camera calibration? So when the picture over all gets to
              bright or to dark or regulary after defined time periods the Aibo looks
              at its leg and changes camera settings according to it. This might get
              difficult with black and white models.

              Mahlzeit

              --
              It just makes you feel
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
                No, detecting this is rather hard, so there's nothing built into the framework.  There is something built into the OS though that will detect when a motor is working too hard and shuts down the robot, but you probably would rather detect the problem a little sooner and handle it differently. (the OS threshold is pretty high, so it might come in a little too late)

                If someone wants to take this on, there's a couple directions to go:
                - Sony provides a table of joint angles for the legs and head/mouth that limit the range of motion so that joints don't collide. (it's in the OPENR docs) This is currently ignored, but might be nice.  (Would need to go in at MotionManager level)
                - You could monitor the joint duty values and see if a joint is working too hard for an extended period. (could be at MotionCommand level)
                - Might be nice to limit joint speeds at the MotionManager level to Sony's recommended values. (currently only the HeadPointerMC uses the speed limits)

                all of these are pretty low-cpu, and could be turned on and off with a config item so that it doesn't limit applications that need to push the limits...

                -ethan

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
                    try using /ms/myfile.pos - that should put it right at the root level of the memstick so you can't miss it if it's there.  If you're using the Load Posture control to browse, it only shows you /ms/data/motion/

                    Also, don't forget the memory sticks are stuck with 8.3 names, so don't use more than 8 letters in the name, and you should put the .pos extension on it.

                    The easiest way to get a .mot is to list several .pos files, but you can also specify the individual joints directly in the .mot -- you're not restricted to referencing .pos files in .mot files.

                    You could also specify a MotionSequence programmatically in code if you have some calculated series of positions to go through. (or just don't want to bother creating a file for a simple movement)

                    -ethan

                    wrote:
                    > It's very straightforward actually...
                    > when you have the robot in a position you would like to save to
                    file,
                    > pick the File Access -> Save Posture menu item in the controller.
                    When
                    > you send that control a file name, it will save the current
                    posture in
                    > /ms/data/motion (unless you provide a different absolute path)
                    >
                    > Note that the .pos file is a very simple text format, documented in
                    > <tekkotsu_root>/docs/PositionFileFormat.txt, so you can edit it by
                    > hand.  (hmm, I should probably move that documentation into the
                    doxygen
                    > info for the PostureMC/PostureEngine classes... I almost couldn't
                    find
                    > it myself...)
                    >
                    > the joint names come from the RobotInfo namespace for your current
                    model
                    > e.g.:

                    http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~tekkotsu/dox/ERS210Info_8h-
                    source.html#l00201
                    > the values are in radians
                    > (which should be added to the docs)
                    >
                    > FYI, the format for MotionSequences is similar, and is documented
                    > online:

                    http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~tekkotsu/dox/classMotionSequence.html

                    > hope that helps...
                    >   -ethan
                    >
                    > PS I'm thinking about releasing the next version as 2.0 - the
                    vision
                    > system has gotten a lot of attention, and it'll have support for
                    the
                    > ERS-7 as well.  Besides, we'll be running out of 1.x numbers soon.
                    >
                    > We got our ERS-7 right before Thanksgiving break, so I'm hopefully
                    going
                    > to have support for that  very soon. (I only got back to campus
                    > yesterday and still have some other stuff to take care of, so
                    it'll be a
                    > few days still...)  For more info:

                    http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~tekkotsu/VersionHistory.html#v2.0

                    > On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 22:45, kpw_km wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi.. Is it possible to write .pos files without using
                    TekkotsuMon?
                    > > I would like to use the joint values given out from
                    > > WorldJointsListener and write it into .pos files.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    click here

                    Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                  • Matthias Bruestle
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 2, 2003
                      When you have defined colors on the feet you could also do a colour
                      temperature calibration. If that works, you could be more specific
                      in the colour tables, so that the Aibo maybe doesn't hunt down orange
                      objects or kick in the air above red carpets anymore.

                      To give you some information about me and why I am here:

                      I bought a 210 in silver 2.5 years ago, because I have seen it at the
                      party of a friend and thought that it is a technological milestone I had
                      to have. I didn't play with it much, because my real cat (13 years old)
                      is so much more fun. She does really communicate with her environment
                      whereas I did not have that impression with the 210. It did see the pink
                      ball under the right lighting conditions and when it did not look at
                      my pink wall and it did have three or four switches. Otherwise it did
                      play prerecorded moves. Additionally I am not the guy who plays computer
                      games. What I wanted to do was programming. Master Studio has not been
                      made for me, because I didn't want to click and I don't like the user
                      iterface of MS Windows. Then came Open-R and that seemed to complicated
                      to me. But now I think there is enough information and examples to start
                      doing something productive with Open-R with my available time. I did
                      "learn" C++ at university and didn't like it. I hope this will be now
                      better as I do not have to do operator overloading with math vector
                      classes. Normally I do development with C for microcontrollers and a
                      bit Linux. I do also have a background in aritificial neural network
                      for scientific appliations.

                      I also try to be the first non-Sony Aibo retailer in Germany, because
                      it is an interesting technology and has IMO a good future.

                      Mahlzeit
                      Matthias

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 3, 2003
                        I still can't get anything there.....

                        Anything wrong...
                        I need to type in only the file name.. correct?
                        I put mi.pos and then press enter

                        It should be the way right?
                      • kpw_km
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 4, 2003
                          Hi,

                          from 59000

                          The file error...

                          The error say can't open the file /ms/.../file.pos"

                          What went wrong?

                          Best rgds,
                          Kai Ming

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 4, 2003
                            It sounds like this is coming from line 68 of LoadSave.cc (assuming you're saving, otherwise line 50, but same idea)

                            FILE* f = fopen(file,"w");
                            if(f==NULL) {
                            std::cout << "*** WARNING could not open file for saving \"" << file << "\"" << std::endl;
                            return 0;
                            }

                            I have been unable to replicate this on my lab machine.  It sounds like there is something bad with the filename.  Make sure all the directories listed in the error message actually exist on the memory stick.  Maybe try a different memory stick as well, perhaps your memstick has become corrupted (hopefully a long shot)

                            -ethan

                            On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 00:44, kpw_km wrote:
                            Hi,

                            from 59000

                            The file error...

                            The error say can't open the file /ms/.../file.pos"

                            What went wrong?

                            Best rgds,
                            Kai Ming

                            --- In tekkotsu_dev@yahoogroups.com, "kpw_km" <eng01235@n...> wrote:
                            > I still can't get anything there.....
                            >
                            > Anything wrong...
                            > I need to type in only the file name.. correct?
                            > I put mi.pos and then press enter
                            >
                            > It should be the way right?

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            click here