Life of mother

  • scully_im2
    Message 1 of 302 , Feb 9 12:21 AM
      I just want to clarify some medical
      misconceptions about the life of the mother exception.<br><br>In
      these modern times, according to medical experts, there
      is no medical condition where one would have to
      choose between the life of the mother or the life of the
      baby.<br><br>If emergency treatment is needed to save the life of
      the mother, if the child is sufficiantly developed,
      the best course of action would be to deliver
      prematurely and cross your fingers that both mom and baby
      will survive.<br><br>If immediate emergency surgery is
      needed in order to save the life of the mother and the
      baby is not sufficiantly developed, there are only two
      scenarios: either you treat the mother, the inevitable
      consequence of which is that the baby dies, or you don't
      treat her and in all likelyhood the baby won't survive
      to maturity as the mother will also die.
      - where the fetus is growing inside the fallopian
      tube which will rupture and kill the mother if it is
      not removed soon enough, or acute cancer where
      radiation treatment is needed immediately.) <br><br>If
      these are the case, it is better to save one life than
      to loose two, even if the unfortunate result of
      saving one life is that another is lost in the process.
      (This is known in philosophy circles as 'the law of
      double effects', where doing one action innevitably
      causes another action.) Again you need to ask is it
      better that both die or that one is saved? The intention
      is not to take a life, but to save one.<br><br>So
      next time you hear of the 'either or' scenario, please
      remind your friends that modern medicine makes the risk
      of death during childbirth almost unlikely. (Thanks
      to Cesarians and other problem detection methods)
    • doesyourpcneedatuneup
      Message 302 of 302 , Jun 28, 2004
        --- In teenabortiondebate2@yahoogroups.com, Debbby88 wrote:
        > Ive been debating abortion and thinking about it for nearly 8
        years...

        Welcome to the club.

        Have you heard the term "cognitive dissonance"?

        It is used to describe the malady of living in a Pro-Choice,
        Abortion on Demand, nation with the knowledge of the abortion
        industry's activities and not being able to reconcile that activity
        with the rest of our society's activities.

        I have studied and researched this area for a long time myself,
        looking for a way wto live comfortbaly in the USA with the current
        legality of abortion on demand, and it just does not happen foe me.

        My desire to produce for such a system is so limited because of this
        legalized business.

        I haev no desire to be associated with Pro-Choice people, and I know
        after 30 years of this acitivity the possibility that I am not
        somehow seeing these people in scoiety is very slim on a day to day
        basis.

        I think it tarnishes our entire nation so badly and makes us very
        untrustworthy of our own people.

        I do not even recite the Pledge of Allegiance now because it does
        not ring true enough to me.

        Our system is fast becoming antiquated here with this abortion on
        demand practice.

        We sing a national anthem that is over 200 years old.

        Imo, we are stuck in the mud of old glory and remembrance and we are
        not facing up to the realisms of today's society.

        I have noticed much correlation with 1973's Supreme Court decision
        and other malevents within our nation. Increased single motherhood,
        more divorce, and now same-sex marriage.

        Who really wants to pay taxes to such a government?