Tecplot 10 - Saving HDD space...

  • Raymond Cohen
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4 6:33 PM
      Hi,

      I have large amounts of 3D flow data is separate .plt files. Each
      file may contain the variables:
      X, Y, Z, U-X, U-Y, U-Z, P
      Also there is connectivity information for the unstructured mesh.

      Obviously there is a large amount of redundancy because X, Y, Z and
      the connectivity do not change between files.

      Is there a simple way of having a single mesh file and seperate plt
      files? This would halve the amount of HDD space I need to use.

      Cheers,
      Ray
    • jay.noble001
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5 8:58 AM
        Hi Ray,

        I posted a reply here but also on our newer Tecplot Talk forum at
        www.tecplottalk.com.
        Tecplot 360 2008 allows users to store static information like grid
        variables and connectivity in a single file that shares this data
        with each time step. Our shared grid format can be written out using
        the TecIO library and is documented in the Data Format Guide. Here is
        a quick summary of how it works: static variables and connectivity
        are stored in a "grid" file while dynamic variables are stored
        in "solution" files, one for each time step. The "grid" is then
        shared with each time step while the time specific data comes from
        the "solution" file.

        -Jay

        Jay Noble
        Tecplot Development