2683RE: [Tecplot_Talk] Re: extract a sub-zone from a 2D plane

  • Alter, Stephen J. (LARC-D305)
    May 15, 2008

      Thiago,

         The interpolation in 2D is fairly accurate – usually within 5 significant figures. If you are getting errors, you may want to try different methods of interpolation. I usually use linear interpolation in a 2D plot. Note that to improve accuracy in 3D, add the following to your configuration file:

                      $!Interface

                        Data

                        {

                         VolumeCellInterpolationMode = trilinear

                        }

      De: Alter, Stephen J. (LARC-D305) <Stephen.J.Alter@...>
      Para: Tecplot_Talk@yahoogroups.com
      Data: Quarta-feira, 14 de Maio de 2008, 16:44

      Thiago,

         Absolutely. I do this all the time. As a matter of fact, the Mesh Generator (MG) that comes with Tecplot is an excellent tool to use for this very application. In the MG, you can select points to use as root points for lines that construct a grid in the smaller, new region to be evaluated. This works primarily in 2D but can be made to work in 3D in a quasi sense. If the surface is really 3D, cast the grid of the surface into a set of two physical coordinates that spreads the area the most, such as Y-Z. In that 2D plane, generate your new smaller grid, and interpolate the missing coordinate as well as the data to get a better representation of the area weighting.

      De: Chris Idso <c.idso@tecplot. com>
      Para: Tecplot_Talk@ yahoogroups. com
      Data: Quarta-feira, 14 de Maio de 2008, 11:17

      Thiago,

      There is only one reason I can think of for why the Index Range from Source Zone portiion of that dialog is 'frozen' (grayed out).   Is your 2d plane a slice that you cut from a larger zone?   If it is, then that means that your 2d plane has Finite Element order.  With Finite Element order there is no way to extract a subzone by going to the Data/Extract/ Subzone dialog.

      Best Regards,

      Chris

      Christopher Idso

      Technical Support Lead