REVIEW: "World War Hack", Ethan Bull/Tsubasa Yozora

  • Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Han
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2013
      BKWWHACK.RVW 20121009

      "World War Hack", Ethan Bull/Tsubasa Yozora, 2012, 978-0-9833670-8-6
      %A Ethan Bull
      %A Tsubasa Yozora
      %C 9400 N. MacArthur Blvd., Suite 124-215, Irving, TX 75063
      %D 2012
      %E Gwendolyn Borgen
      %G 978-0-9833670-8-6 0-9833670-8-6
      %I Viper Entertainment Inc./Viper Comics
      %O U$7.95 wyatt@... www.worldwarhack.com
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0983367086/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0983367086/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0983367086/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience n- Tech 1 Writing 1 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 72 p.
      %T "World War Hack"

      Someone (eventually we find out they are backed by the Chinese) has
      hacked into the United States military and government control systems.
      Fortunately, despite being in complete control and untraceable, all
      they seem to want to do is make one military drone act up.

      The US government immediately swings into action, and sponsors a
      hacking contest, to try and identify suitably talented young geniuses
      (genii?) to find out what is going on.

      It's hard to follow what is going on, since the artwork makes it
      difficult to differentiate between characters. There are young people
      with bad haircuts, and there are other people with suits. Some people
      are female. After that, it gets hard to tell who's who. One of the
      hackers is a government agent, another one has a criminal record but
      seems to be a son of a suited government agent.

      Some of the technical and hacking activity is somewhat realistic, but
      other aspects are bizarre, and betray a complete lack of understanding
      of basic technology. For example, at different times a programming
      language gets "hacked" (in the sense of breaking into it), and at
      another time a government administrator can't tell what computer
      language has been used to write a specific program. In the real world
      of programming and hacking neither of these scenarios makes any sense.
      Absent Ken Thompson's famous speech nobody "hacks" a language, and
      generally nobody cares what language has been used to write a utility
      once it is operating. (No programmer ever said LISP was a concise
      language, and there is no way that even a "skin" on top of LISP would
      look like C.) At another point two devices "piggyback" on the same IP
      address, which simply does not work in networking terms.

      There are aspects of this story that are realistic. One is that, if
      you are not careful with your systems, someone can penetrate them and
      mess with you. If there are any other useful factors in this story, I
      can't think of them offhand.

      (As usual, the draft of this review was submitted to the
      author/publisher for comment prior to publication. I often get rude
      email in response, sometimes threats of physical harm, and once even a
      death threat. [Yes, really.] In this case the publisher has
      threatened unspecified legal action "to protect the copyright on our
      work." I would be interested to see the publisher's reaction to
      counsel explaining the "commentary" aspect of the concept of "fair
      use.")

      copyright, Robert M. Slade 2012 BKWWHACK.RVW 20121009

      You have done all this, and I have said nothing, so you thought
      that I am like you. - Ps. 50:21
      victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
      http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
      http://twitter.com/rslade