REVIEW: "The Black Swan", Nassim Nicholas Taleb

  • Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Han
    Message 1 of 1 , May 24, 2011
      BKBLKSWN.RVW 20110109

      "The Black Swan", Nassim Nicholas Taleb, 2007, 978-1-4000-6351-2,
      U$26.95/C$34.95
      %A Nassim Nicholas Taleb
      %C One Toronto Street, Unit 300, Toronto, ON, Canada M5C 2V6
      %D 2007
      %G 978-1-4000-6351-2 1-4000-6351-5
      %I Random House/Vintage/Pantheon/Knopf/Times/Crown
      %O U$26.95/C$34.95 800-733-3000 randomhouse.ca www.atrandom.com
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400063515/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400063515/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400063515/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience n- Tech 1 Writing 2 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 366 p.
      %T "The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable"

      I was irritated into reviewing this book. I knew that the title
      referred to events which are rare, and therefore seen as unlikely or
      impossible, but which, once observed, are obviously true. I had heard
      this book (and idea) discussed in terms of risk analysis, but the mere
      fact didn't strike me as terribly useful. To a certain extent we deal
      with such issues all the time in business continuity planning. So,
      when, during yet another conversation on risk analysis, one
      participant insisted that we should all read this text, I responded
      that the earth might fall into the sun, soon, and therefore I couldn't
      see risking what little time I had left reading Taleb's work.

      The participant insisted that we weren't going to fall into the sun
      for a long while, and therefore I should read the book. Having now
      read it, I can say that this person didn't understand one of the
      author's main points.

      In the prologue, Taleb describes a Black Swan event as one which is
      rare, has an enormous impact on the world, and is explainable after
      the fact. During the course of the work he presents a number of
      examples. A great deal of the text, though, discusses, disparages,
      and even rants against efforts to predict future events or outcomes,
      particularly those which rely on models. The author notes that many
      of these models fail to take certain factors into account. This is
      quite true: a model, by its very nature, must be limited. A map of
      Canada, the full size of Canada, would be accurate, but not very
      portable, and thus not useful. In the same way, any model is a
      heuristic, giving a quick indication of operation on the basis of a
      very limited set of factors. Taleb's thesis about rare events seems
      to take second place to his assertion that you can go badly awry by
      relying on a model which fails to take all factors into account.

      My "earth into the sun" example, therefore, fits well into the theme
      of the book. As far as we understand, we have probably billions of
      years before we spiral into the sun. On the other hand, some rare
      event may make this happen much sooner, and we'll all be impacted (if
      you'll pardon the expression). And, if it does happen, you can bet
      that, in the few weeks or hours between the event and our
      incineration, there will be plenty of people who will be building
      models to explain why it did happen.

      This statement is undoubtedly true. But is it helpful? Much of the
      author's work is addressed at the issue of investment, and
      particularly "playing" the stock market. He notes that an investor,
      by betting on black swan events, can make a large return (since black
      swan events have a large impact). This declaration is also true, but
      you can't bet on all possible events, so which ones do you choose?
      For example, computer equipment retailers who "bet" on tablet
      computers last year would, this year, be in a very strong position.
      Those who did the same thing twenty-three years ago would have been
      stuck supporting the Newton.

      Taleb keeps repeating (and repeating, and repeating, and repeating:
      his few points are duplicated many times over through nineteen
      chapters) that just about everyone tries to avoid risk on the basis of
      what they have seen in the past. In fact, not only many studies but
      also common observation show that this isn't the case. The general
      public loves to gamble. Studies of "successful" people (business
      leaders, etc.) indicate that they are more prone to gambling and risk-
      taking than the general public, and, in fact, foolishly so.
      ("Leaders" have a strong tendency to gamble even when it is quite
      clear that taking the small but sure return is the better deal.)

      Is this, in fact, evidence that Taleb is correct, and that we all
      should be risk-takers, betting on black swans? No. As he, himself,
      points out in a different context, some risk-takers win, and become
      "successful," while a lot of risk-takers lose, but disappear into the
      general population. (Or just disappear.)

      The central point about making predictions on the basis of
      insufficient knowledge is emphasized most repetitively in regard to
      investments and finance. The author does suggest a method for
      ventures: keep 90% of your funds in the most conservative
      undertakings, and invest the 10% in wildly speculative "positive"
      black swans. Of course, this doesn't guarantee that any of your wild
      investments do pay off, but at least you will have your 90%. Unless a
      "negative" black swan comes along and wipes them out.

      The book is, actually, fairly fun to read, but annoying to review.
      Taleb has good facility with language, and writes in an amusing, if
      scattered, manner. As a means of passing the time, the text is fluid,
      entertaining, and even has some points worth thinking about. However,
      in terms of this review series, I must consider whether the tome is
      useful or not, and I'm not certain that it is. Taleb presents some
      salient warnings, but makes any number of statements ( several of them
      outrageous) without going to the trouble of backing them up. (This
      fact is rather ironic in view of his repeated denigration of academics
      and technical authors who cannot write clearly and "properly." He
      even admits, almost up front, that a friend "caught [him] red-handed"
      by challenging him to "justify the use of the precise metaphor of a
      Black Swan," and he had to confess "this book is a story.")

      To take a page from the way Taleb writes, I could point out that his
      "Extremistan" bears a strong resemblance to the age of the dinosaurs.
      They developed the largest land-dwelling creatures ever to walk on
      earth, lasted much longer than we humans have, and, some models show,
      were able, simply because of their immense numbers, to effect climate
      in ways that we have only recently been able to do by pumping their
      remains out of the earth and burning them. They were also subject to
      a black swan event in the shape of an asteroid, which left, as their
      descendants, only Taleb's much maligned turkeys.

      There are certainly holes in this argument, but it is as entertaining,
      and as valid, as much of what Taleb writes in the book.

      In the end, I have to agree with Taleb's mother: there is some use in
      this book, but an enormous disparity between what the author thinks it
      is worth, and what it is actually worth.

      (No ballet dancers were mentally harmed in the reviewing of this
      book.)

      copyright, Robert M. Slade 2011 BKBLKSWN.RVW 20110109

      It is honorable to refrain from strife, but every fool is quick
      to quarrel. - Proverbs 20:3
      victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
      http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
      http://twitter.com/rslade