REVIEW: "Best iPhone Apps", Josh Clark

  • Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Han
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2010
      BKBIPHAP.RVW 20091130

      "Best iPhone Apps", Josh Clark, 2009, 978-0-596-80427-5,
      U$19.99/C$24.99
      %A Josh Clark jclark@...
      %C 103 Morris Street, Suite A, Sebastopol, CA 95472
      %D 2009
      %G 978-0-596-80427-5
      %I O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
      %O U$19.99/C$24.99 800-998-9938 707-829-0515 fax: 707-829-0104
      info@... or nuts@...
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ /robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/ /robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/ /robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience n- Tech 1 Writing 1 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 228 p.
      %T "Best iPhone Apps: The Guide for Discriminating Downloaders"

      This book is a catalogue. It describes (rather briefly, in most
      cases) programs for the iPhone from the Apple App Store. There are
      roughly 200 from the 50,000. Josh Clark considers them the best.

      In my early days as a reviewer, one book was poorly written, badly
      structured, difficult to comprehend, and made mistakes. I said so. I
      was astounded to be contacted by someone who wanted more information
      on where to obtain the book. Turns out it was one of the only works
      on his thesis topic, and he needed it, regardless of its lack of
      quality. The point I'm trying to make is that it is difficult to say,
      on the basis of your own perspective, what the "best" is for other
      people.

      The apps are divided into categories for work, dining and nightlife,
      leisure, play, home, travel, and health. The author has provided lots
      of screenshots, but fairly terse descriptions. Particularly in regard
      to the work utilities, I frequently found myself wondering how quick
      and easy it would be to enter necessary information.

      Many of the programs involve a price or fee, but a roughly equal
      number are free. However, the free apps tend to be those associated
      with a freely available Website: you'd be able to get at pretty much
      all of those with any computer and browser, or a browser on a
      smartphone. Or a browser on an iPhone.

      Somewhere in these pages there probably is something for pretty much
      anyone. I suspect you'd have to be a real iPhone devotee to get
      excited over the whole thing.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2009 BKBIPHAP.RVW 20091130

      There is something wrong with a profession in which the only way
      to get anything done is to find a bearded wonder, lock him in a
      closet, and slip him crackers under the door. - Robert W. Bemer
      victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
      http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
      http://www.infosecbc.org/links http://twitter.com/rslade