"SharePoint for Project Management", Dux Raymond Sy

  • Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Han
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2009
      BKSHRPPM.RVW 20090303

      "SharePoint for Project Management", Dux Raymond Sy, 2009,
      978-0-596-52014-4, U$44.99/C$44.99
      %A Dux Raymond Sy dux@...
      %C 103 Morris Street, Suite A, Sebastopol, CA 95472
      %D 2009
      %G 978-0-596-52014-4 0-596-52014-X
      %I O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
      %O U$44.99/C$44.99 800-998-9938 707-829-0515 nuts@...
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/059652014X/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/059652014X/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/059652014X/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience i- Tech 1 Writing 1 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 232 p.
      %T "SharePoint for Project Management"

      The preface emphasizes that the use of SharePoint could save project
      teams up to 2.5% of their working time. The text is addressed to
      project managers, project team leaders, program managers who want to
      make sure project managers use SharePoint, information technology
      directors who are being pressured to provide SharePoint, and
      SharePoint consultants (presumably those who don't know much about
      SharePoint).

      Chapter one is a general promotion for using SharePoint as a tool to
      help with collaborative work. Few details are provided, and the
      examples are poorly explained. While it starts with discussion of
      project structure, chapter two, supposedly about setting up a project
      management information system, fails to demonstrate an evaluation of
      uses or advantages of the system. Most of the material consists of
      screenshots of SharePoint data entry pages. More screenshots, in
      chapter three, show you how to add some canned forms. Chapter four
      displays user and group administration pages. Version control and
      discussion groups are described in chapter five. Chapter six reprints
      project tracking screens. Project reporting, in chapter seven, again
      shows a bunch of pictures, but very few options. (What if you want to
      use a PERT chart rather than a Gantt chart?) Chapter eight notes that
      you can store files from Microsoft Word, Excel, and Project
      applications in SharePoint: there is, of course, no attempt to use
      anything else. Backing up your material by making it a "template" is
      recounted in chapter nine.

      I'm probably biased. I've recently been forced to use SharePoint for
      a certain project, and the whole experience has been incredibly
      painful and frustrating, and has caused enormous delays and problems.

      On the other hand, I would be incredibly grateful for a book that did
      actually tell you how to solve some of the problems and annoyances
      that SharePoint has caused.

      One of my students just noticed that me carrying the book into the
      classroom, and asked me if it was any good. Bearing in mind that I am
      going to give it away to someone in the class in a few minutes, you
      can take your own interpretation of what I told him: it does tell you
      how to use some functions in SharePoint. It doesn't tell you anything
      about project management. It doesn't give you technical information
      about SharePoint in any depth at all. If you are required to set up
      something on SharePoint and don't know anything about the program,
      this work will get you started. Period.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2009 BKSHRPPM.RVW 20090303

      Patriotism is the Rohypnol of the American Public
      - John Bender, http://bantha.cjb.net/john
      http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
      http://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html http://twitter.com/rslade
      http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/