REVIEW: "Play Money", Julian Dibbell

  • Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Han
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2008
      BKPLYMNY.RVW 20080219

      "Play Money", Julian Dibbell, 2006, 0-465-01535-2, U$24.00/C$32.50
      %A Julian Dibbell Julian@...
      %C 10 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022-5299
      %D 2006
      %G 978-0-465-01535-1 0-465-01535-2
      %I HarperCollins/Basic Books
      %O U$24.00/C$32.50 212-207-7000 800-242-7737 fax: 212-207-7433
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0465015352/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0465015352/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0465015352/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience n Tech 1 Writing 2 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 321 p.
      %T "Play Money"

      I am sitting in an aircraft, writing this review. In reviewing
      Dibbell's book, I am working. Maybe. It is, for example, extremely
      unlikely that I will be paid anything for reviewing this book, so I
      can't say that this is professional reviewing by the definition that
      it is something for which I'm going to be remunerated. (On the other
      hand, I'm on the aircraft because I am going to meetings. I will not
      be paid anything for attending the meetings, although they have a
      relation to work for which I may be paid. So, is this trip work?)

      Another definition of work is that it is something that no one wants
      to do. I'm enjoying parts of Dibbell's book. (I'm enjoying it more
      than the movie the airline is currently showing, and certainly more
      than the book I reviewed while waiting for the flight.) I suspect
      that a great many of the people who buy and read Dibbell's text will
      be reading it for pleasure. So, is my reviewing of the book "work,"
      or not?

      This is the type of question that Dibbell raises, fairly often, in his
      publication. He raises a large number of questions. What is the
      point, or the psychology, of games? Why do people play, and what
      makes some play have value, enough value that people will pay "real"
      money for virtual gaming items? (And what makes money more real than
      virtual towers?) Is the world's economy turning into a game, when
      game-like speculation on the "value" of shares in a company may be
      "worth" more than the goods or services produced? Some of the
      questions are never answered. Others, such as the issue of companies
      that hire workers to play games in order to sell the characters and
      items "built" by playing, are answered oddly and belatedly.

      As a matter of fact, there are very few answers to any of the
      questions that are asked. Sometimes there is a bit of an overview of
      some opinions on the concerns. Along the way, we get to see the
      operations of gaming, and trading of game items, through Julian's
      eyes, and from some other perspectives as well. How interesting this
      material is will probably vary according to the reader's own
      preoccupation with gaming: personally I found these sections less than
      compelling. We are also given some descriptions of online fraud of
      different types. (Since certain gamers would say that real money
      trading [RMT] of game goods is fraud in itself, and others would say
      that theft of game items is part of the game, defining fraud might
      start to become problematic ...) The questions become less and less
      a part of the book, and Julian Dibbell becomes more and more of the
      subject, first through an early interest, then hope, then mixed
      setbacks and successes (with increasing levels of anxiety) to final
      tragedies which Dibbell, oddly, seems to see as almost incidental to
      the gaming and trading activities.

      The questions are interesting. The book is generally readable, with
      the earlier parts being better than the later. The work says
      something about economics and psychology. It touches tenuously on the
      types of crime that are using online gaming as sources of revenue and
      money laundering. The material doesn't do much to illuminate either
      the technology or the lure of online gaming.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2008 BKPLYMNY.RVW 20080219

      BEWARE OF GOD
      http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm