REVIEW: "Information Security and Ethics", Marian Quigley

  • Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Han
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2008
      BKINSCET.RVW 20080207

      "Information Security and Ethics", Marian Quigley, 2005,
      1-59140-233-6, U$64.95
      %E Marian Quigley
      %C Suite 200 701 E. Chocolate Ave., Hershey, PA 17033-1117
      %I IRM Press/Idea Group/IGI Global
      %O U$64.95 800-345-432 717-533-8845 cust@...
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591402336/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591402336/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591402336/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience i- Tech 1 Writing 1 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 317 p.
      %T "Information Security and Ethics: Social and Organizational
      Issues"

      Given the title, one might have hoped for more integration of the
      topics of security and ethics. In fact, the book is strictly divided
      into two different sections: one for ethics, and one for security.

      Part one purports to be about ethics. Chapter one describes the Web
      in social terms, but has limited relevance for ethics. The initial
      material in chapter two, on the digital divide between those who have
      and use Internet access and those who don't, is interesting, but the
      paper turns out to be simply a proposal for a study to determine
      whether there is a digital divide, and what form it takes. Chapter
      three reports on a study that says the digital divide exists. The
      economic and labour market advantages of making Web pages accessible
      to those with disabilities are promoted in chapter four. Some aspects
      of a theoretical background to the ethics of such accessibility are
      examined in chapter five (which is the first time we've really had
      much to do with ethics at all). Dropping ethics again, chapter six
      briefly notes some problems with Internet voting. A general
      discussion of children and online pornography, detailing Australian
      media classifications, makes up chapter seven. Chapter eight tells us
      that young people use mobile (or cellular) phones a lot with their
      friends and communities.

      Part two turns to security. Chapter nine suggests that we have
      learned something about information security from the Y2K problem and
      the 9/11 attacks, but it doesn't really say why or what (aside from
      the fact that we need security). Some vague ideas about cryptography
      are in chapter ten. You can assess your security controls, chapter
      eleven tells us, by determining whether they perform the security you
      intended them to achieve. (This, apparently, is known as a
      "strategy.") Chapter twelve tells us that the security literature
      says we should have security policies. We should have security
      metrics, says chapter thirteen, and to prove it, cites security
      frameworks which don't. Chapter fourteen promotes digital rights
      management.

      The book, as a whole, has no theme or thread to it. In addition, the
      individual papers have very little to contribute to the security
      literature. I cannot think of an audience that would benefit from
      this work.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2008 BKINSCET.RVW 20080207

      Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't
      mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the
      bar. - Edward R. Murrow
      http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm