REVIEW: "The Complete April Fools' Day RFCs", Thomas A. Limoncelli/Peter H. Salus

  • Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Han
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2007
      BKAFDRFC.RVW 20070814

      "The Complete April Fools' Day RFCs", Thomas A. Limoncelli/Peter H.
      Salus, 2007, 978-1-57398-042-5
      %A Thomas A. Limoncelli funnybook@...
      %A Peter H. Salus http://www.rfc-humor.com peter@...
      %C P.O. Box 640218, San Jose, CA 95164-0218
      %D 2007
      %G 978-1-57398-042-5
      %I Peer-to-Peer Communications, Inc.
      %O U$19.95 800-420-2677 fax: 408-435-0895 info@...
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1573980420/robsladesinterne
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1573980420/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience a+ Tech 2 Writing 2 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 390 p.
      %T "The Complete April Fools' Day RFCs"

      For those in the know, the designation "RFC" is a bit of a joke in
      itself. As a "Request For Comment," there is an implication of a
      proposal, as opposed to a standard. In fact, the RFCs are the
      "official" documents of the Internet protocols, and are part of a
      formal process. Given the nature of the Internet, and the people
      involved, it should come as no surprise that embedded in this library
      are jokes, making fun of the process as much as anything else.

      (Just to make things clear, this is far from a compendium of all of
      the jokes flying around the net, or even all of the jokes about
      network standards. The April Fools' RFCs are a specific class of net
      jokes, and are the material of this volume.)

      The RFCs themselves present a kind of technical history of the
      Internet. In a similar way, the April Fools' RFCs are a history of
      aspects of the Internet. Some of them document technical concerns and
      emphasis, such as the 1990s attempts to implement the Internet on any
      base physical transport (RFC 1149, dealing with avian carriers) or
      2002's efforts to run all utilities over the Internet (RFC 3251, for
      providing electricity over Internet Protocol). Others reflect more
      general social concerns.

      The RFCs are all freely available. This book collects all the April
      Fools' documents, and the authors have even made the collection
      available on the Internet. However, the print version contains
      additional commentary, structure, and supplementary background
      information about the RFC authors.

      And it's handy to have the dead trees edition for those times when the
      avian carriers aren't flying to your particular hotspot.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2007 BKAFDRFC.RVW 20070814

      I have heard many things like these, miserable comforters are you
      all! Will your long-winded speeches never end? What ails you
      that you keep on arguing? I also could speak like you if you
      were in my place; I could make fine speeches against you and
      shake my head at you. - Job 16:2-4