[techbooks] REVIEW: "How to Get a College Degree Via the Internet", Sam Atie

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8 8:40 AM
      BKHGCDVI.RVW 990129

      "How to Get a College Degree Via the Internet", Sam Atieh, 1998,
      0-7615-1370-1, U$16.00/C$21.95
      %A Sam Atieh saleh@...
      %C 3875 Atherton Road, Rocklin, CA 95765-3716
      %I Prima Publishing
      %O U$16.00/C$21.95 800-632-8676 916-632-4400 fax: 916-632-1232
      %P 204 p.
      %T "How to Get a College Degree Via the Internet"

      At about the same time that the author was looking for a distance
      education program I was running a rather oddball experiment in
      networked training delivery and researching what else was going on, so
      I was interested to see something of how the field had developed.
      This book didn't tell me much.

      Part one is a set of very short, and mostly uninformative chapters.
      Chapter one presents the selling points of online education: the high
      direct costs of traditional education, plus the indirect costs that
      are a barrier to those already engaged in life and not willing to go
      back to student life. Distance education has existed, and the
      Internet exists, we are told by chapter two, and when the two meet,
      something wonderful happens. (There are a lot of generalities, and
      not many details.) A very short set of questions and answers,
      intended to determine whether you are the type of person to benefit
      from online education, is given in chapter three. Not only is the
      material exceedingly terse, but I began to become more distinctly
      aware of a factor that had been bothering me from the beginning of the
      book: there was a lot of emphasis on the career, and specifically
      monetary, value of an online diploma or degree, but almost no
      discussion of educational values themselves. Chapter four runs
      through a generic "what you need to get online" list, but very
      quickly. Most of the entries are sketchy in the extreme, a few are
      helpful, and some, like the recommendation to have a dress code for
      "class" and a few of the software suggestions, are a little odd. The
      advice for choosing a school, in chapter five, is fairly standard, but
      some pointers for non-US students checking on American accreditation
      is helpful. Common application and prerequisite requirements are
      listed, along with useful contacts for standard placement exams, are
      mentioned in chapter six. Chapter seven briefly looks at financial
      matters such as scholarships and student loans. A few informational
      URLs (Uniform Resource Locators) are given in chapter eight. The
      advice to foreign students, in chapter nine, is basically a high speed
      rehash of the prior content. Chapter ten discusses online job
      searching, mostly in terms of creating your own Web page and using
      generic search engines.

      Part two has most of the value of the book. Seventy two institutions
      are listed, with some brief description, online and postal contact
      information, and a short description of offerings. Most are from the
      US, one from the UK, and two from Canada. I know that the listings
      are not complete, since two universities, at least one community
      college, a special educational agency, and a theological school run
      distance programs in my locale alone, none of which are listed. I had
      a quick look at the doctoral programs, and noted two that might merit
      further research, so the pickings, as the author tacitly admits in the
      introduction, are a little thin.

      For those interested in getting a degree via the net, the inexpensive
      price would probably repay the buyer in terms or time saved finding
      programs. (On the other hand, a decent Web search might do the same
      thing, and possibly with more complete coverage.) The initial
      chapters may help some, but don't contain enough information for most
      of those interested in getting online and researching the
      possibilities.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 1999 BKHGCDVI.RVW 990129

      rslade@... rslade@... robertslade@... p1@...
      Find virus, book info http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
      Mirrored at http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade/rms.htm
      Linked to bookstore at http://www97.pair.com/robslade/
      Comp Sec Weekly: http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/computer_security
      Robert Slade's Guide to Computer Viruses, 0-387-94663-2 (800-SPRINGER)

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/techbooks