REVIEW: "Kim", Rudyard Kipling

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2006
      BKKIM.RVW 20061124

      "Kim", Rudyard Kipling, 1901, 0-812-56575-4
      %A Rudyard Kipling
      %C 49 West 24th Street, or 175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10010
      %D 1901 (no, it isn't a Y2K joke)
      %G 0-812-56575-4
      %I Tor Books/Tom Doherty Assoc.
      %O pnh@... www.tor.com
      %O http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812565754/robsladesinterne
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812565754/robsladesinte-21
      %O http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812565754/robsladesin03-20
      %O Audience n+ Tech 3 Writing 3 (see revfaq.htm for explanation)
      %P 307 p.
      %T "Kim"

      Kipling packed a great deal of information and concept into his
      stories, and in "Kim" we find The Great Game: espionage and spying.
      Within the first twenty pages we have authentication by something you
      have, denial of service, impersonation, stealth, masquerade, role-
      based authorization (with ad hoc authentication by something you
      know), eavesdropping, and trust based on data integrity. Later on we
      get contingency planning against theft and cryptography with key
      changes.

      Beyond all this, and repeatedly throughout the story, we have social
      engineering: misdirection, analysis of situations and characters, the
      maneuvering and manipulating of people so that they do what you want,
      all the while thinking that it was their idea. The explanation given
      is at once subtle and lucid, and is both more useful and much more
      entertaining than that given by Mitnick in "The Art of Deception" (cf.
      BKARTDCP.RVW).

      Kipling is, perhaps, too gentle a writer for the thriller genre. He
      is, though, a better wordsmith than most of those who work in that
      idiom. His command of dialogue is unparalleled: in "Kim" there is no
      need to identify the individual speakers, for they are as instantly
      distinguished in the text as they would be by speech.

      I heartily recommend "Kim" to anyone in the security field, or anyone
      who wants a decent read.

      copyright Robert M. Slade, 2006 BKKIM.RVW 20061124

      Merry Christmas

      As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be
      dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes. - Mel Brooks
      Dictionary of Information Security www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=4150
      http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm